Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for something that can act as a full-fledged computer.

Which device should I get?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

A laptop, imo at this time tablets cannot function as a full computer. I like at it like this a computer is a production device it is used to produce results from coding, web page design, spreadsheets etc. A tablet in a consumption device it consumes media like videos, music, and web pages. While to some degree they do overlap they each have their place.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
A laptop, imo at this time tablets cannot function as a full computer. I like at it like this a computer is a production device it is used to produce results from coding, web page design, spreadsheets etc. A tablet in a consumption device it consumes media like videos, music, and web pages. While to some degree they do overlap they each have their place.

They're coming out with a Surface Pro, which they say is a full-fledged laptop.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
They're coming out with a Surface Pro, which they say is a full-fledged laptop.

I know nothing about that (although as IT/Network engineer, I have my doubts it will truly be a "full-fledged" computer). None the less, you simply will NOT get that from an Android tablet, at least not at this moment in time.

A better question would be, "What aspects of a device make it "full-fledged" to you?"

I mean just as an example, I would not consider a device a "full-fledged" laptop if it couldn't support a full array of peripheral devices, including mice, keyboards, external monitors, etc....and that's not even getting into internal hardware or software support. To Microsoft, I have a feeling when they say it is a "full-fledged laptop", they mean it can run Office and has a keyboard.

I love having a tablet for it's portability, but to me, there's no substitute for an actual computer when you need one. (In other words, I wouldn't trade my computer for a tablet, nor expect that I could). If you have specific needs, however, I'm sure at the very least the folks here could tell you if the N10 will suffice, though few of us have probably even used a Surface to comment on that.

EDIT: I just read the stats of the Surface Pro, and apparently it will run the full version of Windows 8, which should mean that software support is pretty near full computer capability. Impressive. Price tag is still quite high for me -- too much to spend on a tablet, and for that price I'd rather get a fully-spec'ed out computer. I have to say though, for some, this may be a great option.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Surface Pro is going to have "full-fledged" specs, yes. But, I wouldn't exactly consider it on-par with a regular computer/laptop. There are quite a few 'convertible' tablets out there that are a bit heavier than a regular tablet. You can flip around the display and use it as a touchscreen tablet. The Surface RT isn't going to give you the functionality that you want, to be completely honest. You won't be able to use regular x86 Windows applications on the RT (as it's ARM-based and limits you to running apps from the Microsoft Store/Marketplace). You do have access to "desktop mode" - except you're still limited as to what you can do. The Pro version is expensive ($899 is its starting point); so, that's something you'll have to take in consideration.

As paintdrinkingpete has said, no tablet is going to give you 'full functionality' as an actual computer. There are Windows 7 tablets out that are equal to the "Surface Pro" like the Samsung Slate. Mind you, you're on Windows 7 (instead of 8); but it's still a functional tablet (for the most part). Or the Acer Iconia W700. There are options out there; just that it depends on what you want to do with the tablet. Any tablet that closes the bridge between "tablet" and "laptop" is going to be more expensive than a regular tablet.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I know nothing about that (although as IT/Network engineer, I have my doubts it will truly be a "full-fledged" computer). None the less, you simply will NOT get that from an Android tablet, at least not at this moment in time.

A better question would be, "What aspects of a device make it "full-fledged" to you?"

I mean just as an example, I would not consider a device a "full-fledged" laptop if it couldn't support a full array of peripheral devices, including mice, keyboards, external monitors, etc....and that's not even getting into internal hardware or software support. To Microsoft, I have a feeling when they say it is a "full-fledged laptop", they mean it can run Office and has a keyboard.

I love having a tablet for it's portability, but to me, there's no substitute for an actual computer when you need one. (In other words, I wouldn't trade my computer for a tablet, nor expect that I could). If you have specific needs, however, I'm sure at the very least the folks here could tell you if the N10 will suffice, though few of us have probably even used a Surface to comment on that.

EDIT: I just read the stats of the Surface Pro, and apparently it will run the full version of Windows 8, which should mean that software support is pretty near full computer capability. Impressive. Price tag is still quite high for me -- too much to spend on a tablet, and for that price I'd rather get a fully-spec'ed out computer. I have to say though, for some, this may be a great option.

I need the Office suite, as well as the ability to run third-party software designed for Windows computers.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I need the Office suite, as well as the ability to run third-party software designed for Windows computers.

That's the real question there. Because the Surface Pro will run the full version of Windows 8, I would think more native software would be compatible, but if what silentagenda says above it true regarding the ARM architecture, there's a good chance your software won't be compatible.

If that's a sticking point for you, I'd do my research first. My bet is that you if you really need full software compatibility but want portability as well, a slim form-factor laptop would probably be a better option.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The option i have given to several others is to use something like splashtop to bring the full computer experience to android. But then again that depends on what you are doing.

I actually played around with a VM of windows 8 connected to my nexus 10. I have to say it was pretty good. I think it was very similar to a real windows 8 surface tab.

Allot of people discount android as being able to do everything we need on a daily basis. It can do allot more then what people give it credit for. I just recently ordered a android powered mini pc on a stick to try out.

Zealz GK802 Freescale i.MX6 Quad Core Android Mini PC Cortex-A9 DDR3 1GB RAM 8GB ROM TV Box Dongle Black - GeekBuying.com

Hopefully in a week or to I will get a better feel for its limits. You really need to define what you want it to do.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There are more and more devices being designed with a fairly complete set of connectivity. Galaxy note 2 phones actually have a dock to connect a external display, keyboard, mouse, and storage. I think that same dock works for the gs3 as well. More and more consumer stuff is usb driven. And they are accounting for that with many devices.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I just called Microsoft. They told me that the current Surface is limited to running Marketplace software, while the Surface Pro will be able to run third-party software, not to mention have more storage space and be a more powerful device overall.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I just called Microsoft. They told me that the current Surface is limited to running Marketplace software, while the Surface Pro will be able to run third-party software, not to mention have more storage space and be a more powerful device overall.

Then it looks like the surface pro is for you. You aren't going to get that from an android tablet at the moment.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Then it looks like the surface pro is for you. You aren't going to get that from an android tablet at the moment.

It's pretty pricey, but my credit card company will take $150 off if I purchase it with that card.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site

When I bought my first android tablet, I got rid of my PC. I know, sounds crazy. But everything I need out of a computer, I also get with a tablet.

It all matters what you use it for, and what your intentions are as well.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my first android tablet, I got rid of my PC. I know, sounds crazy. But everything I need out of a computer, I also get with a tablet.

It all matters what you use it for, and what your intentions are as well.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

How are you making do without third-party software support?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Also another thing to consider is whether or not you have any Android devices already - if so, then you may need to buy new apps (again) for MS, if not then that may not be an issue. However, Android's market, while not as big as Apples (yet), is very robust. I thought about the MS Tablet briefly, but the price + additional costs of apps + market uncertainty = Nexus 10. To be honest, it was not that hard of a decision - especially since I am very happy with Android and I like the convenience of having all my (Android) devices sync up as opposed to have one Android, one MS, and whatever. However, this may be more of a personal preference, so it may not be that important to you.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Also another thing to consider is whether or not you have any Android devices already - if so, then you may need to buy new apps (again) for MS, if not then that may not be an issue. However, Android's market, while not as big as Apples (yet), is very robust. I thought about the MS Tablet briefly, but the price + additional costs of apps + market uncertainty = Nexus 10. To be honest, it was not that hard of a decision - especially since I am very happy with Android and I like the convenience of having all my (Android) devices sync up as opposed to have one Android, one MS, and whatever. However, this may be more of a personal preference, so it may not be that important to you.

I don't have any paid apps. I've been able to find everything I need and want for free.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any paid apps. I've been able to find everything I need and want for free.

Really - you have not purchased one app? Do you have an Android phone? I guess so, since you use free apps and are picking up a tablet. Maybe the Surface is for you then. By the way, does surface have NFC? That is a nice feature instead of manually mailing pics or using a computer.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Really - you have not purchased one app? Do you have an Android phone? I guess so, since you use free apps and are picking up a tablet. Maybe the Surface is for you then. By the way, does surface have NFC? That is a nice feature instead of manually mailing pics or using a computer.

The Surface RT does not have NFC capabilities, and neither will the Surface Pro. Here's a quote from Pavan Davuluri, hardware development lead for the Surface, taken from an AMA session on Reddit.

We conducted testing across a variety of core scenarios such as local and streaming video playback (watching movies!), audio playback, wireless web browsing and productivity scenarios such as using Office and mail. We tested using different Wi-Fi networks with pre-production hardware and software. Hence the battery life numbers started early in the program as a model with calculations and then get verified with actual device HW and SW.

For the product design experience we were aiming for with Surface, the Mg metal enclosure, including the back case, was critical. This made good antenna design for NFC a trade-off in our development process.

The Surface also lacks GPS functionality. Between that and the lack of cellular connectivity, options for location services are limited to local network identification (i.e. WiFi AP correlation, in much the same way that Google's location services do it). It's too bad, really, because Bing maps on Windows RT/Windows 8 is a great experience otherwise.