Pogo Charger arrived today

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So today when I got home my pogo charging cable was waiting for me. I have pulled it out and so far it is exactly what I was expecting. A cable with USB on one end and the POGO Pins on the other for charging. Very simple directions were provided which is to be expected. The directions make a point to use the Samsung provided charger which provides 5 volts 2 amps.

I will just confirm that the cable can certainly fit through the opening on the Poetic Slim Line Case.
It is just about 1" shorter then the USB cable that came with the Nexus 10.

I did a very quick test of charge speed which didn't show much. Basically in 10 minutes the tab charged 4%. That was from 73% to 77%. One could try to derive a speed of 24% per hour, but i suspect that isn't accurate. And since the quick test I did isn't from completely drained I have no idea of overall charge rate. I think I have fully drained my nexus 10 once in the time i had it so doing that test may be a bit difficult

Just before posting i checked the charge again 84% @32 min so looks around 20% per hour

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I did a very quick test of charge speed which didn't show much. Basically in 10 minutes the tab charged 4%. That was from 73% to 77%. One could try to derive a speed of 24% per hour, but i suspect that isn't accurate.

You are correct that it is not accurate. The charging rate varies depending on the level of the batteries. It is not a straight-line calculation. An accurate test would require complete discharge to full charge. However, you CAN compare two runs from full discharge to X amount of time and then contrast the battery percent and get a comparative rate.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I ordered it from ebay pretty much as soon as it went up. I hope we see allot more get delivered in the nest 48 hours.

I wanted to post about the length because i even remember a few wanting it much longer then the original

I really don't believe the claims about faster charge time. However you look at it the source is 5 volts @2 amps. The usb cable can support that amount of current, and the pogo cable doesn't change the source current.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I ordered one from their website yesterday. Even if it charges marginally faster than the micro USB port, it looks a little more durable.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
charging rate slows down after 80% so probably not a good test. if its 20% in 1 hr then it seems like its same as the official charger.

post back your next full charge cycle.

PCFXR4U

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
As an electronics instructor i had to measure and monitor as soon as mine arrived. When installing, the indented (Curved) side goes up, and if you are using a new Poetic Revolution case, you will need to do some serious plastic removal on the bottom clam-shell to permit full contact of the POGO. I have contacted the Poetic case company about them modding the case, but they tell me they do now have plans to do so right now.

First, the wiring of the Pogo is symmetrical. This means you do no damage if accidentally reversed.
Secondly, i measured the supply current at the 74% charge level with the USB port plug as .288A, or 288 milliamps.

With the Pogo, it was 2.35 times higher at .676A. or 676 milliamps, quite an increase. The USB port simply cannot support the massive current required by the 9.0 A/H battery (9000ma).
NEW: I have measured close to 1.7 amps charge when the battery is under 50%, and that is maintained until the battery reaches around 70% then begins to decrease, so this is quite a product. I can see owning more than 1 (as I do) to make a docking charger and as an extra for work/car. Once more, I must stress that you will need a 2 amp charger for the home and car. The dual 2 amp chargers are really only 1 amp per outlet so stay away from those and stick to a single 2 amp or 2.1 amp product.

The voltages are either direction as follows:
1-GND
2-1.21[possible audio connection],unknown at this time.
3-5.25
4-5.25
5-1.21[possible audio connection],unknown at this time.
6-GND
It is possible that the GND is a floating power supply negative, with no relation to real ground.
Be sure you are using a minimum 2.0A supply, not the 2-in-1 2.0A units, as they only supply 1.0A per port (even though they call them 2A)

I believe the kernel running the tablet contains code to differentiate between a POGO or USB connection. In any event, The POGO really does do a better job then the USB port,
and I believe that the pins 3 and 4 running parallel connections into the unit are the reason for the 2.35 times more current to the battery.

I hope I was clear in my writing for all of you. Any mechanical engineers out there want to make a rotating dock with cutouts for the pogo on the bottom and both sides?
Sort of like a monitor stand clamp device perhaps. that would be a big seller.

PCFXR4U :cool:

Last edited:

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure what this means - doesn't sound too good. Could you (or someone who is more technical) expand on this please?

A floating power supply can be positive or negative, but hasn't a common point. It's basically designed so that it can be attached without causing a short.
In other words, there's nothing bad about it. But "with no relation to real ground" means that it isn't a grounding. He was being technical about the specifications of the POGO charger's output.

PCFXR4U

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
Think about your cars electrical system as a reference...the ground terminal as we call it really isin't touching, it is actually a floating ground. It acts as the return for the electrical flow of current that's it in a nut shell. By the way, I have now measured up to 1.7 amps when the battery is very low and that amount decreases as the battery nears the full state. This POGO cable is worth every penny. I have 2 now with a third on the way, so I can make my own dock.

Thanks again all,

PCFXR4U.

Fergus Strachan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Quick Q:
You mention floating ground as it's not actually ground, which makes sense for US cable as they don't have an earth in the sockets (right?).
Would it not make sense to have a proper ground in a UK cable then?
No reason for the Q other than an enquiring mind. :)

PCFXR4U

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
2nd Revision:02/08/2013:
First, the wiring of the Pogo is symetrical. This means you do no damage if accidentally reversed.
Secondly, i really measured the supply current at the 0% charge level with the USB port plug as .288A,
with the Pogo, it was several times higher at 1.670 A. recently added this info. At the very minimum, according to USB standards, the output current can go to 1.5A or even a bit higher, according to Wikipedia. My own measurements prove this.

1-Gnd
2-1.21 VDC +Data
3-5.25
4-5.25
5-1.21 VDC -Data
6-Gnd

The data lines when shorted together as they appear to be here, simply put the charger into the dedicated "charge" only mode, allowing more current to be output. It is possible that the Ground is a floating negative, with no relation to real ground. Be sure you are using a minimum 2.0A supply, not the 2-in-1 2.0A units, as they only supply 1.0A per port (even though they call them 2A)!
So far in my own testing, only the original Samsung charger has the 2 data leads at 1.2 VDC. Personally, I have ordered an extra wall charger and an auto charger from Samsung, who if you register your device will give you a 50% off coupon to use towards those purchases.

Get this now if you own the Nexus 10!

Raypundo

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
No, there are grounds on the AC circuits.

The term "floating ground" looks to have caused some concern, really it is just a type of circuit and everything is perfectly fine. It's not better, worse, or different than every other charger out there. In short, just erase the term from your memory if you don't care about electronics at a component level :)

What that means is that the charger supplies +5VDC in respect to the the negative pin. Floating mean that the negative pin could be at 0.1 and the positive would be at 5.1, -0.1 and 4.9, etc.

Since the tablet ground could be at an potential, the charger syncs to the negative, and controls to give 5 volts more than that on the positive pin.

Most devices would work this way I would think.

Thought it has been like 15 years since my electronics days in college!

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Some interesting and informative observations there, and nice to see some real information on the charging rates rather than "it feels faster" type stuff.

It almost sounds as though USB fast charging isn't enabled on the USB port and that the Nexus 10 is pulling no more current when connected to the charger than it does when connected to another USB device / hub. For example when I connect my Galaxy Nexus to a powered hub, its just enough to hold the battery from discharging (with the screen on) however when connected to a charger (or enabling "USB fast charge" in the kernel, which basically fools it into thinking its connected to a charger) its battery will charge at the "normal" rate.

All of this would make sense, if the Nexus 10 had been supplied with a POGO charger out of the box, with charging via the USB port reserved for situations when you don't have the POGO available (i.e. you charge it for real with the POGO, and can trickle charge / maintain charge via USB).

Oh well, ours is not the reason why... Thanks all for the investigation and digging out some hard evidence as to what's actually going on!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Quick Q:
You mention floating ground as it's not actually ground, which makes sense for US cable as they don't have an earth in the sockets (right?).
Would it not make sense to have a proper ground in a UK cable then?

I think you mean "plug", not "socket". And "socket" = "outlet" (the more common term in the USA). All modern USA outlets are three prong and have a true earth ground, in additional to the hot and neutral (which are also polarized). The neutral is also tied to earth ground in the panel, so the "ground" is actually just a secondary path to ground. I think it has been that way for at least 40 years (and prior to that, most outlets were just two prong- hot and neutral).

It is unusual to see small electronics actually use a grounded plug, however.

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
2nd Revision:02/08/2013:
First, the wiring of the Pogo is symetrical. This means you do no damage if accidentally reversed.
Secondly, i really measured the supply current at the 0% charge level with the USB port plug as .288A,
with the Pogo, it was several times higher at 1.670 A. recently added this info. At the very minimum, according to USB standards, the output current can go to 1.5A or even a bit higher, according to Wikipedia. My own measurements prove this.

1-Gnd
2-1.21 VDC +Data
3-5.25
4-5.25
5-1.21 VDC -Data
6-Gnd

The data lines when shorted together as they appear to be here, simply put the charger into the dedicated "charge" only mode, allowing more current to be output. It is possible that the Ground is a floating negative, with no relation to real ground. Be sure you are using a minimum 2.0A supply, not the 2-in-1 2.0A units, as they only supply 1.0A per port (even though they call them 2A)!
So far in my own testing, only the original Samsung charger has the 2 data leads at 1.2 VDC. Personally, I have ordered an extra wall charger and an auto charger from Samsung, who if you register your device will give you a 50% off coupon to use towards those purchases.

Get this now if you own the Nexus 10!

How do you register the Nexus 10? I don't remember being given that option when I first got mine.

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
How do you register the Nexus 10? I don't remember being given that option when I first got mine.
Here : http://www.samsung.com/us/support/register/product
It does recognize the Nexus 10 if you enter it as the model name, accepts the serial number as the "HEX/IMEI" code (you can get that from Settings/About tablet/Status, you don't have to take the top back cover off) and immediately after completing the registration, they sent me a 50% of accessories coupon.

Last edited:

kokmeng

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have posted the same question in another thread.

Mind telling me if the Nexus 10 also coming with an "UK plug 3 pins adapter"? I read and saw from this site that it is coming with a 3-pins adapter.

apedroid: Nexus 10 - Unboxing and first look

Just to double confirm if the contents will be the same for all countries, or it varies depending on the country it was sold.

I am from Asia and I need a 3-pins adapter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci