how to clear Nexus 10 cache?

Graywolf3458

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I look forward to hearing from forum members on how do I clear out my cache.

Thank You.

P.S.- I love my Nexus 10 and my wife loves her Nexus 7.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I use App Cache Cleaner app. Its free and fast. I clear at least 100mb a day using it. Does it all at one time and doesn't seem to have any bugs

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i would recommend not to clear cache. cache are there for a reason to load and run app faster.
clearing cache would make apps load slow the next time you open the app.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Nice tip. Just cleared over a gig of cache. I've used stock 4.0+ since the GNex came out and never realized you could that. Thanks.
that feature came with android 4.2. it was not in android 4.1.2. i am sure about that.
i figured it out on the first day i had nexus 10

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
that feature came with android 4.2. it was not in android 4.1.2. i am sure about that.

Usually I poke around in settings when I get a new device, but with the current crop of Nexus devices, I spend a lot less time in Settings tweaking things. Maybe it's due to the new shortcuts menu. Still, thanks for the tip.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Is actually been there for awhile now. My 4.1.1 galaxy nexus has it. I want to say my wife's 4.0.3 droid bionic has it as well.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

sandmana10

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Availability of this feature may vary from device to device (and manufacturer). Cached data shows on my Google Nexus 10, JB 4.2.2, but NOT on my Moto Razr Maxx running JB 4.1.2. But I would bet it's on my son's Samsung Galaxy S3, which is probably 4.1.1.

Mark Brough

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Clearing the cache seems to be a coarse tool. In some apps, everything is cleared, including your configuration of the app. In others, only the bloated data is cleared. Anyone know how to get finer control over what is deleted? For example, the "Guardian" app tends to hoard a large cache of data. But selecting "clear cache" also deletes what, in this app, are quite elaborate user configurations.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Settings- Storage - push the 'Cached Data' notation. Option will pop up.

This is useful, but not the same thing as clearing the cache partition. Clearing the partition will reformat the whole partition, not just delete the files on it. Unfortunately it took me a lot of playing to find the answer, since most sites are wrong. Here are the correct instructions:

* Start up the bootloader by holding down volume up, volume down and power on your tablet until you feel it vibe once.

*Use the volume up/down keys to navigate to "Recovery mode", then press the power button. It will appear to reboot. You might encounter a blank screen for over a minute, be patient...

*When the Android with the red exclamation point appears, hold down power first, followed quickly by volume up. You should now see the recovery menu.

*Choose the wipe cache option. It will take quite a while to format the entire cache partition (several minutes).

* Choose option to reboot.

Clearing the cache partition should not delete any stored settings or configuration (but use at your own risk). It is typically done as a troubleshooting step when the tablet is acting strangely, especially with certain apps. My understanding is that the cache is just a pre-compiled version of program files to enable faster launching of apps. If the cache is removed for an app, it will just be rebuilt when the app is next launched. It is not a terribly useful way to gain any storage back, unless you have been running lots of various apps for a long time and no longer use a lot of those still-installed apps. When you delete an app, I believe it will delete the cache for that app at the same time.

Last edited:

Droidette

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, responding to an old post. I needed to clear the cache partition on my Nexus 10 - looked EVERYWHERE for instructions. None of the ones I found worked - until your post, crxssi. Many, many thanks for your work in tracking down the right instructions and posting them. Your post should be a sticky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech