Nexus 10 can't handle Timescapes as a 6gig mp4??

spyderrc10gt2

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've only got the 16gb version so i have the movie on a flash drive connected to the nexus with an otg cable. Using nexus media importer, I have tried both bs player and mx player and the movie is unwatchable. The video and audio stutter extremely bad. I have converted it to a mkv file which dropped it to ~750 mb, it plays just fine but looks like crap. Can these nexus 10's not handle this movie as an mp4? What other format would you recommend to convert to so it would play but not look like crap?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what to tell you without more details. Like how it was converted, resolution of the video, codec, and such. Another possible place for issue would be the speed of the external flash drive.

I can tell you this though. The 4K demo video from the timescape video looks absolutely amazing on my nexus 10 and plays fine. It is a mp4 as well.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
a 6 Gb movie will stutter on a laptop with i3 and 4 Gb RAM. so no wonder it did stutter on nexus 10.

also, the movie is playing from low speed USB drive using media importer which might not be able to handle huge size.
all these factor in to it.
it might play better if the 6Gb file is on the internal storage

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure I agree with you about a 6GB video would be hard to play. I have several video's that are encoded at in 1280x720 at 5-6mbps and they end up around 6GB and play back fine on almost everything I have. That includes my HTPC that has 4GB of ram and a Core i3 540 CPU.

But the performance of the USB flash drive is a important point to be made. That could very easily cause a problem as the Video bit rate goes up.

My suggestion would be to start troubleshooting with putting the video on local storage first and see if that works. If it does then it is likely a performance issue with using the flash drive. If that doesn't work then we need to look at how it is encoded. Like I said above, then we need to know video resolution, bit rate transcoded at, codec being used, any other special options for the video encoding.

Video transcoding can end up being kind of artform the more you get into it. Some tools are more robust then others as well.

spyderrc10gt2

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. i got to thinking about the speed of the flash drive a little while after posting this. My nexus is at home but I believe i only have around 5gb free, so I can't put it on device and try. I've regretted buying the 16gb a few days after getting it. Here is the flash drive I just purchased to use for this Newegg.com - Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model DT101G2/64GBZ . i am going to try playing it off an external harddrive and see if it is any better. Can you suggest a file format i can convert it to, to maybe get it around 3gb and see if it plays any better? maybe iso? not sure if NMI supports that

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it makes you feel any better but I wouldn't suggest you sweat it to much if the problem is media. I know allot of people think that personal media is the reason to get the extra storage, and It really isn't. It is really about the programs you load on it and how much space they may take.

I would suggest that instead of investing in flash drives you look at Wireless Powered hard drive. I have a Seagate Go Flex Satellite. And it is by far a better option if the concern is keeping your movie or music collection with you. I got mine for a little over $100. So it isn't cheap but then you get 500GB of storage and a USB 3.0 external drive to.

The thing with transcoding is resolution and then bit rate. Just because you can lower the bit rate doesn't mean squat if the compression ruins the quality in the crapper because the resolution is to high. You can try 1280x800 with 3mbps bit rate and see what you git, but that may kill the quality. You may then need to lower the resolution to get better quality. I know that doesn't sound right but sometimes you can get weird effects by trying to compress a video stream way to much so it is better to give a lower resolution the same bit rate because it is less compression on a slightly grainer picture.

spyderrc10gt2

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I mostly need the space for games, after i downloaded NFS and GTA3 that took a big chunk of my space. I really like the idea of that hdd, would hold a lot of my sons movies when on a trip and wouldn't have to worry about him breaking the usb port while the otg cable was plugged in. thanks for the idea.
I don't really understand the whole relationship between resolution and bit rate but I see this program won't let me 'down convert' the mp4, i can convert it to mp2 to 1920x1080, 3766 bit rate and 29,97 fps which would produce a file of 2.79gb (just now found that it gives final file size prior to converting). What do you think of that?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, what software are you using.

I don't go below 6mbps if I keep it HD resolution. That is anything above 1280x800. But that is with the tools I use. I have seen decent HD videos with lower bitrates.

Another thing to look for is 2 pass encoding. That will help improve quality at the expense of time.

resolution = number of vertical and horizontal line the video has.
bitrate = the amount of data those lines of video can consume in a given second with compression.
since a higher resolution has more lines it has more raw data and so will be compress more the a video at a lower resolution at the same bit rate. higher compression will lead to more artifacts in the video.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The hard drive is pretty cool. It can stream a few movies to multiple sources. it has pasthrough to another wifi network if enabled. it comes with a car power adapter.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just looked it up. Seagate has just updated it. looks like more battery life, and dlna server added to it. The new price tag is 199 though.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
a 6 Gb movie will stutter on a laptop with i3 and 4 Gb RAM. so no wonder it did stutter on nexus 10.

Untrue. Bitrate, my friend, is the key to high-quality streaming.

I'm a photographer by hobby and actively watch and post on the Timescapes forum. I've played the full-length Timescapes film, work from other members, and my own work on the Nexus 4, 7, and 10 without any issues. I use them to help evaluate devices. File size is more or less irrelevant; as pointed out earlier on it's the bitrate and encoding procedure which matter the most. The higher-resolution and less-lossy versions of Timescapes will require faster hardware or networking in order to move that much data, but it is certainly possible.

I'm using a pair of hard drives shared to a high-speed wireless network. The drives are then mounted to the Nexus devices using this approach. The files then appear as typical local files to all applications on the device. It makes it very easy to manage and play media files without resorting to a highly-proprietary setup to make it work.

spyderrc10gt2

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, what software are you using.

I don't go below 6mbps if I keep it HD resolution. That is anything above 1280x800. But that is with the tools I use. I have seen decent HD videos with lower bitrates.

Another thing to look for is 2 pass encoding. That will help improve quality at the expense of time.

resolution = number of vertical and horizontal line the video has.
bitrate = the amount of data those lines of video can consume in a given second with compression.
since a higher resolution has more lines it has more raw data and so will be compress more the a video at a lower resolution at the same bit rate. higher compression will lead to more artifacts in the video.

I am using AVS. Thanks for your help and sorry for my noobish questions. Your 6mbps are you referring to bitrate? So in my post #7 that would be 3.7mbps bit rate? So i should try lowering the resolution and upping the bit rate closer to 6. Not sure if this program offers 2 pass encoding, i'll have to look when I get home.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You can certainly try the higher resolution, and see how it comes out. If it ends up being blurry and having allot of artifacts in the video you may want to try the lower resolution at a higher bit rate and see how that works. The bit rate has a direct correlation to the file size. If you need it to be smaller you need a lower bit rate. Once you find out what is the best bit rate to get you the right size of the move then you can adjust the video resolution to account for artifacts.

I downloaded AVS just to take a look at it. It does appear to support multi-pass options. You just have to click on advanced.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie