Ordered a N10 on Saturday. Did I make a mistake?

bstacy1974

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I thought that I had researched the N10 enough to commit to placing an order. Now that I've found this forum, I'm not so sure I should have.
With all the issues of frozen screens and random reboots, is the N10 a good enough tablet to put up with the bugs? Also, can someone confirm whether the micro HDMI to VGA adapter works with a projector? I teach and really wanted to integrate the N10 into my lectures. Bottom line, should I give it a try or should I cancel my order?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If it were me I would not cancel. With the supply of these still being low, there is still a very high resale value (perhaps profit, probably close to break even depending on media used to sell) if you test it out and it does not meet your needs as expected. I personally loved the one I played with before I gifted it (have to test the merch) and did not notice any issues, so I am not clear on if it's a per device issue or a widespread issue that I just didn't encounter. You have the opportunity to test it like champ and even if you keep it past the return window, like I said, the market is still good enough for you to make most of if not more than your money back should you choose to try another tablet.

spacemonkey#WN

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I've been luckier than most. But I love my nexus 10 to bits. I've not had any issues with it. The smoothest most intuitive tablet experience I've had to date. My wife casts envious eyes when using her Ipad 3.

I wouldn't cancel personally.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't know much about the HDMI to VGA, but I've had my N10 for a few months and have no issues at all. It's a great tablet and I like it much better than my wife's Ipad.

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought that I had researched the N10 enough to commit to placing an order. Now that I've found this forum, I'm not so sure I should have.
With all the issues of frozen screens and random reboots, is the N10 a good enough tablet to put up with the bugs? Also, can someone confirm whether the micro HDMI to VGA adapter works with a projector? I teach and really wanted to integrate the N10 into my lectures. Bottom line, should I give it a try or should I cancel my order?

There is at least one user on this forum claiming to have had zero problems and surely isn't the only one. Definitely give it a try, since you have a window to return it. But do return it if it has issues. For $400-500, the experience should be near flawless in order to keep it.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
A couple thoughts:
1. If you look at almost any device forum at Android Central, it will feel that the overwhelming majority of posts are complaints. That's largely because the people who post are having problems and seeking solutions whereas people who have no device issues tend to post less. For example, check out the Nexus 7 forum, a device that is universally praised (I had one (lost it) and it was AMAZING) and yet if you only looked at the forum posts, you'd probably reconsider purchasing it.
2. I purchased my N10 three days ago and I think I'll end up loving it. During the first day of use, I had 4 or 5 reboots and was not happy. I deleted two apps that I thought weren't playing nicely with the OS. On day 2, I had one reboot. On day 3, no reboots. Starting day 4 now, so I'll see what happens. Bottom line is that the problems seem to be OS and app related, and so can and hopefully will be fixed. ITHINK I've already solved my issue.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
A couple thoughts:
1. If you look at almost any device forum at Android Central, it will feel that the overwhelming majority of posts are complaints. That's largely because the people who post are having problems and seeking solutions whereas people who have no device issues tend to post less. For example, check out the Nexus 7 forum, a device that is universally praised (I had one (lost it) and it was AMAZING) and yet if you only looked at the forum posts, you'd probably reconsider purchasing it.
2. I purchased my N10 three days ago and I think I'll end up loving it. During the first day of use, I had 4 or 5 reboots and was not happy. I deleted two apps that I thought weren't playing nicely with the OS. On day 2, I had one reboot. On day 3, no reboots. Starting day 4 now, so I'll see what happens. Bottom line is that the problems seem to be OS and app related, and so can and hopefully will be fixed. ITHINK I've already solved my issue.

The problem with the workarounds is that, while it is good enough for some, it negates the reason I want the tablet in the first place. I don't want to disable location services and I want to use Chrome. I use Chrome on my Mac, Ubuntu, iPad, and smartphone. Chrome and Google Now are very important in my daily use. I don't want to intentionally cripple my device just so it doesn't crash so often. I'm still waiting on a true fix before taking the plunge.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I love my tablet. Bought it thinking I would use it for a bit then sell it, but I have no intentions of doing that anytime soon!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Count me as another who's happy with their tablet. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

As one poster stated, it's common for any of the forums I frequent, be it cameras, tablets, phones, guns, etc etc, to have a fair amount of posts from those who are having problems with said device/gear. Those who are happy with their purchase are generally not inclined to post "I love my......" but those who have problems are quick to post looking for solutions.
When you consider the millions of Nexus 10's that have probably been sold, and judging from the number of "problem with the tablet" posters, I'd think that the general overall experience would tend to be positive.
Just my .02....

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the workarounds is that, while it is good enough for some, it negates the reason I want the tablet in the first place. I don't want to disable location services and I want to use Chrome. I use Chrome on my Mac, Ubuntu, iPad, and smartphone. Chrome and Google Now are very important in my daily use. I don't want to intentionally cripple my device just so it doesn't crash so often. I'm still waiting on a true fix before taking the plunge.

I use chrome 90% of the time on my N10 though I do have location services switched off until I need them. However I have accidentially left Location services on for days without issues.

As i had fewer issues the first month and a half I had the tablet I am testing to see if the changes I made at that point have any impact. The changes I made are I stopped powering off the N10 nightly when I charged it and I got a poetic slimline with magnetic closure and magnetic sleep function.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up that I have not had to disable location services. My problem seems to have been related to Beautiful Widgets (I'm guessing a polling location services issue). Once I deleted this app, problem solved (at least seemingly and for now). I still use Google Now and all my other location and Google services. I don't use Chrome, but that has nothing to do with reboots...I just find other mobile browsers far superior.

Your mileage may vary....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Simon Airey

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I've been luckier than most. But I love my nexus 10 to bits. I've not had any issues with it. The smoothest most intuitive tablet experience I've had to date. My wife casts envious eyes when using her Ipad 3.

I wouldn't cancel personally.

Agreed

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

bstacy1974

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for the responses everyone. I should have assumed that the issues posted on this forum were for a limited number of users. I'll give it a shot and hope that the issues are few.
Also, pontiac005, thanks for the link. There seems to be at least one micro HDMI to VGA adapter that works. I'll check the specs of the Smartboard I have in my classroom. They are fairly new and should have several resolution options that will work with the N10.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Wow! Thanks for the responses everyone. I should have assumed that the issues posted on this forum were for a limited number of users. I'll give it a shot and hope that the issues are few.
Also, pontiac005, thanks for the link. There seems to be at least one micro HDMI to VGA adapter that works. I'll check the specs of the Smartboard I have in my classroom. They are fairly new and should have several resolution options that will work with the N10.

reboot issue is getting fixed in few weeks and its very random. I have no reboot issue at all.

AOSP updated to revision 1.2, build JOP40G | Android Central

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the reboot issue is related to location services, but can't be 100% certain about that. In the first week I had mine, only experienced 3 reboots, each time when loading the browser. I turned location services off (because I don't really care to use them anyway on my tablet) as suggested by some folks here and haven't had a single reboot in the 3 or 4 weeks since. I still use the Chrome browser exclusively.

I agree that I shouldn't have to cripple my tablet for it to work right...but it's a bug, and that seems to be the fix for many experiencing it. These things happen (yes, Apple has had bugs too!). Ultimately, it's Google's response or lack thereof that will determine my opinion of their handling of this matter...and rumor is that a fixed update is in the works. For me, a pretty minor thing right now, and certainly is NOT making think twice about my purchase.

Regarding your question about the projector, sorry I can't be of more help there. Here is another thread with a similar question here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...uitable-training-presentations-projector.html
That XDA link posted by pontic005 looks promising as well -- good luck!

You've already ordered, may as well try it out!

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing a lot of testing on the reboots/crash thing. I think I can sum it up -
The N10 is very sensitive to app crashes.
The N10 runs on the latest Android.
A lot of apps out there are not optomized for the latest Android, and will crash on the N10.
Because its so sensitvive to the crash it then reacts by reboot or shutdown.

So, if you must have an N10 that does not crash - you can, but you cant install "just anything" on it, rather you'll have to painstakingly install one app at a time, wait and see if it crashes the system. If you have to have a tablet that NEVER crashes or reboots, you probably DONT want one that is designed to always run the latest OS.

When I first got mine I loaded it up with tons of stuff, and also started using a smart case. Both of those actions caused crashes. To satsify myself that my N10 was in fact NOT defective I did a factory reset, loaded up only the stock items, and used it that way for two three day periods of testing. No crashes. (Later I isolated that case problem, I've posted about it on another thread.) For me, knowing it was just a software conflict causing the crash, and not a true hardware problem, put my mind at ease.

bstacy1974

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice big matty. I was surprised this morning with an email saying my N10 had shipped. When I checked the tracking info, not only had it shipped, its in town! Should be at the house when I get off work today! I'm not a huge app person. There are about a dozen apps that I use on a regular basis. This tablet will be mostly for media consumption, books, movies, TV, but I may try it out in the classroom as well. I'll try to restrain myself and not download all the apps at once. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12