Battery only getting around 6.3hr of time?

SadPanda86

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello my battery is only getting around 6.3 hrs of screen time total. I have read many threads about the battery time and a lot of ppl are getting 9-10 hrs of screen time. I have several questions.

1) I have only charged it 2x, I read here that the battery life will get better after a couple of more charges. Is that true?

2) Ppl say battery life will get better after a couple of charge cycle, do they mean letting the battery run down to 0% and then charging it up to 100%?

3) I also read that I shouldn't charge to 100% every time , is this true?

4) Should I leave it on when charging?

My brightness is only set to 40%. My screen uses 65% android sys uses 9% and chrome uses 8% of the battery

Any advice to increase battery life is appreciated.
Sorry if the questions are repetitive, there are a lot of contradictory info, it is getting confusing.

Last edited:

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Battery gets better after used more and more. Like breaking in new shoes. Also games use battery like you wouldn't freaking believe. Chrome uses more battery than video apps like Netflix and apps like facebook. They are also going to push a update that might improve battery and stability

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The battery doesn't get better, but the purpose of calibrating (going through a full charge cycle) is to make the software "better" at reporting the actual percentage. It's true that you shouldn't go from 100% down to 0% every day, but it's useful to do so every few months or so in order for the battery meter to report an accurate percentage.

The battery will degrade over time. The best advice I've received is to just use the device normally.

• You can charge it every day.
  • You can leave it on while charging.
  • You don't have to wait until it's 0% before you charge it and you don't have to wait until 100% before you unplug it.
  • With that said, it's ok if you do every once in a while.
As for your tablet, less than 7 hours is not normal from what I've seen reported. But remember that the screen is pushing 2560x1600 pixels. Depending on your use, 6.3 hours might be reasonable. If you feel that it isn't, don't hesitate to call costumer service if you are under warranty.

SadPanda86

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately it's been 17 days since I bought it from staples, so if I do return it. It's going to be through Samsung and might take a couple of months... I am going to think about if it's worth it

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
When determining if your battery is discharging at an acellerated rate always take into consideration your display brightness setting. Higher the setting the more power consumed.

Everyone's eyes are different. My Brightness is set so that the "dot" on the slider falls under the M in the word Automatic (this is when acessing it it from the settings menu). This is more than bright enough for me. However I know of others who NEED the brightness cranked all the way up.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, as long as the battery lasts long enough that I can unplug it in the morning and not plug it in until the end of the day it's good enough. And mine lasts long enough that I can actually go a few days just using it normally then leaving it closed but not charging overnight so I think the battery is great. But obviously other people's needs and wants are gonna be different.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello my battery is only getting around 6.3 hrs of screen time total. I have read many threads about the battery time and a lot of ppl are getting 9-10 hrs of screen time.

9-10 hours is probably not "typical" but not impossible either, depending on exact settings and use.

1) I have only charged it 2x, I read here that the battery life will get better after a couple of more charges. Is that true?

Yes

2) Ppl say battery life will get better after a couple of charge cycle, do they mean letting the battery run down to 0% and then charging it up to 100%?

It doesn't have to be to 0%. Could be 10% or even 50%, the idea is that after the battery has seen *use* for a while, the life will start to go up.

3) I also read that I shouldn't charge to 100% every time , is this true?

No

4) Should I leave it on when charging?

It doesn't matter. Personally, I think it would be stupid to turn it off to charge it. It will make very little difference in charging time, but it won't hurt anything (just waste a bunch of time).

antonusklesk

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter. Personally, I think it would be stupid to turn it off to charge it. It will make very little difference in charging time, but it won't hurt anything (just waste a bunch of time).

It could completely be a placebo but I've been mostly charging mine whilst off and getting excellent battery, 9-10 hours consistently, whereas charging while on results in slightly less. It could of course just be my usage pattern though.
uploadfromtaptalk1360316042057.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360316056356.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD