4.2.2 did not fix ALL crashes on the Nexus 10

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I was sooo pumped for the 4.2.2 update thinking it was gonna fix the crashing, which for the most part it did but after about 2 1/2 days crash free it finanly did last night while watching netflix. hoping you can figure out what is causing it.

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that 4.2.2 has greatly reduced but not eliminated the reboot / lockup issue for me. Since I got the update (manually installed via adb sideload) I haven't had a single spontaneous reboot, however over the weekend my Nexus 10 did lock up (freeze) on me, requiring a hard restart (holding the power button down), I was using Chrome Beta at the time.

This is a vast improvement over 4.2.1 where I was getting a spontaneous reboot every day or two, but it doesn't seem to have quite eliminated the issue entirely...

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've only had one crash the day after the update. But suspect the streaming app I was using. Apart from that I've gone from daily crashes/reboots to none. Still using it daily as well.

I am very happy :)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that 4.2.2 has greatly reduced but not eliminated the reboot / lockup issue for me. Since I got the update (manually installed via adb sideload) I haven't had a single spontaneous reboot, however over the weekend my Nexus 10 did lock up (freeze) on me, requiring a hard restart (holding the power button down), I was using Chrome Beta at the time.

This is a vast improvement over 4.2.1 where I was getting a spontaneous reboot every day or two, but it doesn't seem to have quite eliminated the issue entirely...
Alot of people have been noting issues when using Chrome so that might have been the cause. Especially since that was a beta.

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Alot of people have been noting issues when using Chrome so that might have been the cause. Especially since that was a beta.
More than likely, which is why I mentioned it. But it should still only crash / hang Chrome not the entire tablet, one of the 4.2.2 fixes was supposed to prevent that.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed since the update streaming Netflix via the HDMI out will run a bit longer before the tablet starts to over heat and you get degradation in performance. I primarily keep my N10 plugged into the TV and lounge on the couch and use it as an all-in-one media center sort of thing so I noticed that issue very quickly....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
More than likely, which is why I mentioned it. But it should still only crash / hang Chrome not the entire tablet, one of the 4.2.2 fixes was supposed to prevent that.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel - its fine if there are crashes, but they should not reboot nor shut down the unit!

Still testing...

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been finding mine worse then ever. Since my last post I found I can't stay connected using HDMI for more then 30 minutes then I need to reboot it to reconnect HDMI. It hates embedded videos now no matter what type or what browser. They will stop playing and NO videos will play after that from MX Player to even the stock video player.

I'm very disappointed with either this tablet or jelly bean. My Xoom has an uptime of over a 120 DAYS!!! I can't keep my nexus 10 running for more then 8 hours, its pathetic.

imlinked

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been finding mine worse then ever. Since my last post I found I can't stay connected using HDMI for more then 30 minutes then I need to reboot it to reconnect HDMI. It hates embedded videos now no matter what type or what browser. They will stop playing and NO videos will play after that from MX Player to even the stock video player.

I'm very disappointed with either this tablet or jelly bean. My Xoom has an uptime of over a 120 DAYS!!! I can't keep my nexus 10 running for more then 8 hours, its pathetic.

I've had similar experiences. I mostly use my Nexus 10 to watch video using either Mx Player or Vplayer. I also either use HDMI and watch through my HDTV or just watch videos directly from my Nexus 10. While watching (either through HDMI or directly), the video would just CRASH. Yes, the app would be forced closed. Once this happens on one app (either MX or Vplayer) the same would happen to the other app or any other video player. AND the crash would happen about 5 sec into the video constantly.

I first thought it was the video file that was the problem but this is not the case. I would reboot the N10 and that same video would play JUST fine.

I don't know what the culprit is, but these quirky instability issues remind me of Windows machines that become really unstable after not rebooting every other day.

It's frustrating and I really regret getting the N10. It feels as if Nexus users gets the latest and greatest of the Android version to BETA test while manufacturers like Samsung, Asus, LG, etc. go through the QA/QC before releasing it on their device! I did not pay a $500 device to beta test! i.e. I'd rather be on a stable Ice Cream Sandwitch (4.0) then this buggy mess (4.2). Next time I'm getting a Galaxy or the Transformer. This is ridiculous.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok, well micro progress. Or maybe not real progress. But, hopefully, progress...

I've been trying to keep a clean environment & stable testing, but I've also been adding in a small amount of real world use. I have gotten it down to: factory wipe, install Boat browser (so I dont need Chrome), fully charge then unplug, begin wifi logging. Althoug wifi logging is slick, I find it disconnects randomly. (For reference - USB cord debugging I did not have the same disconnect issue.) So - the wifi logging always needs restarted, and I have been lucky if I "catch" things. Today, I may have caught something:

127): *****************************
E/wv_drm ( 127): *** ERROR: [OEMCrypto] : GetKeyData => returnValue = 5
E/wv_drm ( 127): *** Detected in /usr/local/google/home/dmitriyz/src-lcl/android/vendor/samsung_slsi/proprietary/exynos5/oemcrypto/OEMCrypto.cpp:2162/_oec08()
E/wv_drm ( 127): *****************************

Its not as fruitful a result as a true "fatal exception" or "crash" output - but it stood out in the log because it was boxed in with astrix - not simply tagged with them. Also, whereas other errors repeated multiple times in the logs - this one had only one occurence, and was towards the end.

I've Googled a little, and not found much. But the one or two hits I found seemed loosly related to Google Play movies. So... maybe its related to rights managment for media libraries. That could explain the various results for various users. Also, seems like the more heavy your media use the more prevelant the problem. But these are just pretty weak guesses from me, and Im a hobbiest at best.

BUT - one thing I think I can do to test, I am going to factory reset and not sign up my Google account. The way I see it, the media player should not attempt any rights management with no Google account connected. This will also test other related, non Movies specific things, so decent test on its own merit.

Back in a few days. (Glad I just got a 3DS to play while I troubleshoot my N10, LOL!)

Last edited:

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, update did not comppetely eliminate reboots -- I did not have a lot of forced reboots before update, but have had only one since - using Chrome I believe.

always_black

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Had no reboots when runing 4.2.1 but took me 1 hour into my fresh install of 4.2.2 to have it reboot in the midle of a google reader session. No root and locked to be sure....

Last edited:

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so 4.2.2 is bUgGy folks! :) I am no dev, so no true program knowledge here - but I am an IT guy, so I am good at "troubleshooting". Here is what I did:
-Using a 3 day test cycle, my goal was to see the unit on w/ no crash for 72 hours
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug
-Dont even sign in to Google, just let the tablet sit there
-Occasionally turn it on to check uptime

The uptime got to 69 hours before it crashed & rebooted! No Chrome use! No extra apps installed! Nothin! Anyways, I do see now that even if you dont connect a Google Account, both Play and Maps still run in the background and "perform activites". So who knows - maybe if I would have added 'disable all disableable services' I would have been able to get 72. (So close!)

But alas I could stand it no longer! Google has made it so hard to even see what is crashing Android! I am suprised at this. So, I rooted. At least now I can use some more robust tools in troubleshooting. Now I'm able to start a logcat log straight to the SDcard, and no PC needed to enter the command. Yes, logcat still stops after some arbitrary time (part of Google's master plan to hide error output from us regular humans) but now its quicker/easier to restart.

So - same thing as usual from me, I'll report back what I find/any progress I made.

Michael Guittar

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Google really lost it on the Nexus 10 and 7. The update made no difference. I hard reset the device(s). I've been through 8 Nexus 10s and 2 Nexus 7s. The Nexus 10s crash constantly. Before the update, they rebooted in about 12 seconds. Now, they take about 3 minutes. I guess about 10 crashes per day. The area around the cameras gets very hot, and they freeze or reboot. Battery shows a blank space on the timeline. Google's pre-installed crap is all I have on it, now, but these are the most useless, buggy apps around. Chrome in particular. I made things better by disabling currents. A real shame. A 32gb tablet I can't do anything with. As for the Nexus 7s, they take about an hour after boot to be usable, apps take more than 40 minutes to install, the device is unusable for about a day after an app has been installed, and then the icons either don't show up or aren't movable for another 2 days. Real top-notch quality. Google needs to trash their useless, buggy, outdated Chrome and bring back browser. I was using my Evo for about 2tb of data per month, with a number of apps, but can't do much of anything with these Nexus devices. Most apps aren't compatible with the nexus 7 or 10. If you do happen to install some apps, the launcher seems to have severe issues with as few as 400 apps. I still have about 290 apps to install. Google now is worthless and in the way. Not really much I can do on a Nexus. I'm thinking of moving to something else if Google doesn't get its act together. I do have 2.5gb free. The device is unusable below that. The multi-user joke is pathetic. I really can't tell that 4.2.2 caused anything but more problems. It forced me to have to hard reset to make my devices usable again, and I've never really been able to use them since.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow! I have none of those problems. I wish you had posted here earlier. There are a ton of members here, who are much smarter than I am, who are willing to help people resolve their problems. I think the fact that SO many of us DONT have the problems you describe indicates something. If you work with us by explaining your problems we may beable to help you to determine WHAT that something is.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Google really lost it on the Nexus 10 and 7. The update made no difference. I hard reset the device(s). I've been through 8 Nexus 10s and 2 Nexus 7s. The Nexus 10s crash constantly. Before the update, they rebooted in about 12 seconds. Now, they take about 3 minutes. I guess about 10 crashes per day. The area around the cameras gets very hot, and they freeze or reboot. Battery shows a blank space on the timeline. Google's pre-installed crap is all I have on it, now, but these are the most useless, buggy apps around. Chrome in particular. I made things better by disabling currents. A real shame. A 32gb tablet I can't do anything with. As for the Nexus 7s, they take about an hour after boot to be usable, apps take more than 40 minutes to install, the device is unusable for about a day after an app has been installed, and then the icons either don't show up or aren't movable for another 2 days. Real top-notch quality. Google needs to trash their useless, buggy, outdated Chrome and bring back browser. I was using my Evo for about 2tb of data per month, with a number of apps, but can't do much of anything with these Nexus devices. Most apps aren't compatible with the nexus 7 or 10. If you do happen to install some apps, the launcher seems to have severe issues with as few as 400 apps. I still have about 290 apps to install. Google now is worthless and in the way. Not really much I can do on a Nexus. I'm thinking of moving to something else if Google doesn't get its act together. I do have 2.5gb free. The device is unusable below that. The multi-user joke is pathetic. I really can't tell that 4.2.2 caused anything but more problems. It forced me to have to hard reset to make my devices usable again, and I've never really been able to use them since.
Please, tell us more.