Some nexus question form newbi :)

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
still have some question form this newbie (sorry).
Is play store have age restriction on app as one case i found in game like dead trigger there is no bad word and explodes head short like IOS ver.(ver.1.5) is and anyone have any ideal?
Do anyone outside the allow sell nexus got Google free content? :?
What do you think about the Franco kernel for stock as 4.2.2 or anyone has something better ?
Is anyone have some good recommend app like eBook reader, game, video player and launcher that better than stock one that can share this newbie?

hey, KJ what do you think about the game after you fin it.
do you still like it and recommend it as i still being debate right now ? :)

Thank Everyone. :)

I'm not a huge game player, but I did like The Great Big War Game. I would recommend it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
hi,guy just wanted to report in as i been use my Nexus 10 for 7 days now (receive on Monday). as the excitement it a bit die down.
One word it just awesome device.
The good thing

The screen is awesome and better than the ipad 3 much sharper but ipad a little vibrant(don't know why reviewer can't see the different).
The build quality nice and light, stick to my hand and doesn't feel cheap at all. :confused:
Sound quality is hand down beat the ipad back speaker compare to nexus front and stereo(got and ipad user feel jealous about it).
I do note some lag a bit when i first got it but after one update (4.2.2) it nice and smooth.
about the app i can't find almost all the app (same or different replacement app) that use in my phone.
One thing that after one 2 day of use i found out how limited the IOS is even on Ipad and how much more i can do in android
on work or custom the tablet (even without root compare to jailbreak ipad). :cool:

The not so goo thing
Samsung Light sensor is unusable too dim and too much flick light level. :(
Chrome is a bit of let down lag and all but than i not so happy with safari, too. luckily both OS has Dolphin browser that can help me. :)
Google play should do something like apple store that when people hit the app tittle in Google play they should show two version one for
Phone and one for table inside of auto download between 2 version and find out later. IT is a bit confusing form first time till now.

In some case there are other app that label HD for tablet some where else. but u already download the non HD one. :(
Few app where they say HD and opctmice for tablet but when you use it not the case like game (Asphalt 7).

Overall very happy with my decision. :)
Thank Guy. :)

Regarding the Google Play comment -- I know where you are coming from, but the problem is that there is a huge difference between how iOS deals with phone vs. tablet apps and how Android does. Basically, *ANY* Android app is going to run fine on a phone or tablet. Some apps (such as many that are marked "HD") are *optimized* to run on the larger screen of a tablet, but even apps that don't have a "tablet" version run just fine, in my opinion. I guess my point is, it's a lot harder in many cases to label some apps as "phone-only" apps. I generally just tend to check to see if the developer of the app I'm interested in has an HD version available, which will generally be listed on info page.

A lot of tech websites and blogs will frequently point to the lack of "Tablet apps" when reviewing Android tablets compared to iPad, but I still say that a "phone" app running on an Android tab works much better than an iPhone app running on an iPad...so it simply doesn't matter as much as some iFans would like for you to believe. Plus, devs are putting out new tablet-optimized apps everyday, so the selection is growing.

I'm still pretty good with my N10, but I will confess that I did not expect it to be as unstable as it is. Mine still crashes with 4.2.2 (plus one, yes one, non-stock app.) (Only every couple days now w/ 4.2.2 which is a big improvement over 4.2.1,) My phone, and Kindle Fire, in contrast "hardly ever" crash. Now, I'm not using my N10 for work so the crash isnt the end of the world, but yes quite suprised that Google + Samsung = more problems than my other two Android devices.

You can install Amazon Appstore, they offer a free app of the day. (Just one example)

I think if you order a N10 right now you are basically going to HAVE to play around with other kernels if you want the device to be stable. I've heard good things about franco. Right now I'm testing KTmanta.

There are many good apps and ebook readers, etc.. It will depend on your tastes. For me for ebooks I install Kindle. For games go spend $3 on Bards Tale, its an amazing price for a 4GB game!

Please note that I am NOT trying to troll or be a jackass, but I'm not sure how to say this without potentially sounding like one...

Could it be that the reason your experience of the device being unstable, despite the fact that many of us have not had any problems, stems from the fact that are using a custom kernel???

I used to be big into custom kernels a while ago, even attempted to compile my own, but that was when I needed overclocking/undervolting/etc to try to get everything out of my device. I have found with most of my recent devices (N10 included) running JB, that stock kernels do just fine; and generally all I get out of custom kernels is either no noticeable change whatsoever, or decreased stability...so I stopped using them.

Now, maybe you only started testing out kernels because your device wasn't stable, and if that's the case I get it -- but from my experience, my N10 has been absolutely excellent performance-wise since the most recent update running stock kernel; I couldn't imagine changing anything.

To the OP -- I'd give the stock kernel a shot before trying others and tweaking stuff...but that's up to you.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the Google Play comment -- I know where you are coming from, but the problem is that there is a huge difference between how iOS deals with phone vs. tablet apps and how Android does. Basically, *ANY* Android app is going to run fine on a phone or tablet. Some apps (such as many that are marked "HD") are *optimized* to run on the larger screen of a tablet, but even apps that don't have a "tablet" version run just fine, in my opinion. I guess my point is, it's a lot harder in many cases to label some apps as "phone-only" apps. I generally just tend to check to see if the developer of the app I'm interested in has an HD version available, which will generally be listed on info page.

A lot of tech websites and blogs will frequently point to the lack of "Tablet apps" when reviewing Android tablets compared to iPad, but I still say that a "phone" app running on an Android tab works much better than an iPhone app running on an iPad...so it simply doesn't matter as much as some iFans would like for you to believe. Plus, devs are putting out new tablet-optimized apps everyday, so the selection is growing.

Please note that I am NOT trying to troll or be a jackass, but I'm not sure how to say this without potentially sounding like one...

Could it be that the reason your experience of the device being unstable, despite the fact that many of us have not had any problems, stems from the fact that are using a custom kernel???

I used to be big into custom kernels a while ago, even attempted to compile my own, but that was when I needed overclocking/undervolting/etc to try to get everything out of my device. I have found with most of my recent devices (N10 included) running JB, that stock kernels do just fine; and generally all I get out of custom kernels is either no noticeable change whatsoever, or decreased stability...so I stopped using them.

Now, maybe you only started testing out kernels because your device wasn't stable, and if that's the case I get it -- but from my experience, my N10 has been absolutely excellent performance-wise since the most recent update running stock kernel; I couldn't imagine changing anything.

To the OP -- I'd give the stock kernel a shot before trying others and tweaking stuff...but that's up to you.

No offense taken, thanks for being so polite! :) Nah, with my device if you read my troubleshooting posts you see I tested it extremely throughly on "stock everything" before determining it wasnt working as good as it should...

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
i HAD the same feeling bro... before purchasing my nexus 10 last february 28,2013 I was scanning all the ad pages selling nexus 10.. it was like an itch that I cant scratch off.... in the end i finally bought it leaving withdrawing 25,000 pesos from my bank account only 5,000 pesos left to my bank account ...im going to starve this month buy hey what the heck..at least i got my tablet before holy week when we go to singapore...hehe

so far so good...but recently im experiencing glitches..hopefully it would go away... buy it dude you wont regret it
Hello everyone i new here.

just need some of your real-life experience about nexus 10. I been on the edge about get nexus 10 for well now. just found good deal on ebay (no nexus in my country)
When i do research online some review say i might lag and freeze, when you watch movie, play game and battery-life is not that great .
Is it real true ? and how it real-life performance like view picture (very important to show my work), play game, read book, watch movie and use internet ?
or do you have something else as i never use android device and tablets before.

Thank look forward to hear for your in-put. :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
No offense taken, thanks for being so polite! :) Nah, with my device if you read my troubleshooting posts you see I tested it extremely throughly on "stock everything" before determining it wasnt working as good as it should...

Understood. That's a bad break -- I've had no problems with mine (although I also run very few apps on it).

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I didnt want to jinx it yesterday by talking about it, but now I am 2.5 days into testing 4.2.2 OS with a different kernel. And so far, NO sleep of death! (That was my problem - could not go 24 hours w/out sleep of death )AND I've been using the tablet a lot more than my "minimal use" in my other tests! This of course is the ultimate test - I'm posting/talking about it on the internet so certainly if its going to blow up in my face, now would be the time. But as of right now - it looks like the alternate kernel is better for my device than Google's... Im using KTmanta.