Nexus 10 or Galaxy Note 10.1? Thoughts?!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I would take this even a step further and saying it got this far because people can be objective.

One spec doesn't ruin a device in most cases. Unless you put the two side by side the dpi difference probably wouldn't bother you. Even then, there are allot of good things about the Note 10.1 and it's software that make it a great tablet.

Don't fool yourself, the devices are pretty close overall. The only real thing the Note is missing is the screen DPI while the Nexus is missing the S-Pen.

And it wasn't until the middle of last year that no android tablet had a resolution over 1200x800. The one and only other tablet that is over that resolution is the Asus T700 Infinity. This limitation is also based on the WACOM digitizer the Note uses as well. So it really goes hand and hand with the S-Pen.

What I know is this. I have a Nexus 10, while I got my GF a Note 10.1(She insisted on it, Actually had the sales people laugphing at me as I was discussing it with her). I couldn't pry that thing from her if i wanted to. I love the nexus 10 and really like the upgrade I got to it from my old xoom wifi, but the Note 10.1 is deffinately doing something right.

It does indeed. If you don't care about the outdated specs and lacking screen quality in comparison to the Nexus 10, neither of which are anyone's fault, they were good for the time the tablet was made, then the S-Pen make it a great tablet to have for schoolwork.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well maybe the Note 8 will fix those issues (even then it's 2 inches smaller screen-wise)

I was hoping so, but at 189 ppi, the Note 8's screen resolution will be worse than the Nexus 7's and at a much higher price. I was very disappointed to see that.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping so, but at 189 ppi, the Note 8's screen resolution will be worse than the Nexus 7's and at a much higher price. I was very disappointed to see that.

Didn't see that bit, that's disappointing.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The thread got this far because a lot of us bought the tablet for school and work, and not inviting friend over to watch the Super Bowl in HD.

The above post demonstrates that people are writing out of turn without having had experience with both tablets. The problem with the Note 10.1's screen resolution isn't photographs or video (watching the Super Bowl). It is text (school and work). Small and mid-sized text looks horribly pixelated on the Note 10.1.

I use my Nexus 10 for work, primarily drafting and editing text documents. I couldn't imagine doing so every day with the Note 10.1's blotchy screen.

I would be interested to know if anybody on these forums has owned both devices concurrently, used them side by side, and opted for the Note 10.1 over the Nexus 10. It seems most bought the Note 10.1 and are now advocating for it to justify their decision. Or they bought it based on speculation without having purchased the Nexus 10 too for comparison purposes.

The Note 10.1 looks, feels, and performs like a budget device compared to the Nexus 10. And I write that as a user of, and advocate for, Samsung's S Pen technology..

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well that's what reviews are for.

The problems with reviews is that for them to have any value, you have to assume that the reviewer's insights are as good as or better than your own. That's something I'm always reluctant to do. So I just buy everything, take the bad stuff back, and keep the good stuff.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The problems with reviews is that for them to have any value, you have to assume that the reviewer's insights are as good as or better than your own. That's something I'm always reluctant to do. So I just buy everything, take the bad stuff back, and keep the good stuff.

I use them as a basis, then compare them with others. Match them up and see if there's any high or low points that keep popping up and go from there.

UT_chic

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
So I've had my note for about almost a week and I love it. Some of you guys make it sound like the screen is a piece of crap and and that you can see every single pixel. I'm not seeing that. Yeah it's not the same high resolution as the Nexus 10 but it works and isn't as ty as some of you make it seem. Dunno how you guys were using your Note 10.1 but mine has great battery life. I used it at work for 11.5 hours and my battery went from 100% to 78%. That doesn't seem like a crappy battery life at all. The Note works for me. I love the S-Pen and how i can use it at work and school. Plus, I love how i can expand the memory seeing as I filled up all 16gbs in ONE day. So yeah there's my two cents.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So I've had my note for about almost a week and I love it. Some of you guys make it sound like the screen is a piece of crap and and that you can see every single pixel. I'm not seeing that. Yeah it's not the same high resolution as the Nexus 10 but it works and isn't as ty as some of you make it seem. Dunno how you guys were using your Note 10.1 but mine has great battery life. I used it at work for 11.5 hours and my battery went from 100% to 78%. That doesn't seem like a crappy battery life at all. The Note works for me. I love the S-Pen and how i can use it at work and school. Plus, I love how i can expand the memory seeing as I filled up all 16gbs in ONE day. So yeah there's my two cents.

I think you took our posts a bit too seriously. No-one said the screen was bad, it's outdated but it's still decent. Plus we never even mentioned the battery as far as I know.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The thing with the screen is really just about human nature isn't it. I mean once someone has something better they believe everything else is crap. I experience this before when I upgraded my phone from a Old ATT captivate to a Galaxy Note. The ATT phone had 800x480 display and my Note is 1280x800. I liked the note for the screen size and the ability to play back HD video on the devices. It ment less transcoding for me. Toward the end of my return period I set them side by side and compared the screen. Though I was never unhappy with the Captivate thing did look better on the note by virtue of the higher DPI display.

I don't think someone would aruge that the display would be better if it was a higher resolution but to do that you would loose the WACOM digitizer and then it wouldn't be a NOTE. The thing is if someone needs the S-Pen and gets it for productivity they will probably never miss the higher DPI display of the Nexus 10.

You all also need to get real about the specs being crap. The specs that the NOTE has are better then anything else out there except the Nexus 10. The Note 10.1 had s a Qaud Exynos 4 CPU, 2 GB of ram 16 or 32GB sotrage, with a micro Sd card, and so on and so on.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The thing with the screen is really just about human nature isn't it. I mean once someone has something better they believe everything else is crap. I experience this before when I upgraded my phone from a Old ATT captivate to a Galaxy Note. The ATT phone had 800x480 display and my Note is 1280x800. I liked the note for the screen size and the ability to play back HD video on the devices. It ment less transcoding for me. Toward the end of my return period I set them side by side and compared the screen. Though I was never unhappy with the Captivate thing did look better on the note by virtue of the higher DPI display.

I don't think someone would aruge that the display would be better if it was a higher resolution but to do that you would loose the WACOM digitizer and then it wouldn't be a NOTE. The thing is if someone needs the S-Pen and gets it for productivity they will probably never miss the higher DPI display of the Nexus 10.

You all also need to get real about the specs being crap. The specs that the NOTE has are better then anything else out there except the Nexus 10. The Note 10.1 had s a Qaud Exynos 4 CPU, 2 GB of ram 16 or 32GB sotrage, with a micro Sd card, and so on and so on.

Yup. Like I said, I'm considering getting one for school and just use my Nexus 10 for browsing, media, etc. It's still the best tablet for school or work thanks to that sweet S-Pen.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Like I said, I'm considering getting one for school and just use my Nexus 10 for browsing, media, etc. It's still the best tablet for school or work thanks to that sweet S-Pen.

I want to see the 8 IRL before thinking about a Note purchase :)

UT_chic

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually some posts on here did mention the screen & battery being crap/bad/ etc

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
No one should be buying a Note 10.1 this late in the product cycle. I plan on buying the next version the day it's released.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Plus, I love how i can expand the memory seeing as I filled up all 16gbs in ONE day. So yeah there's my two cents.

If the Nexus 10's 32gb won't do the trick and you must have Android, the Note 10.1 is probably the best 10" alternative. But I may opt for a 64gb or 128gb ipad over the Note 10.1, and I say that as a rabid hater of iOS. For a tablet in 2013, I've got to have more than 200 ppi, much less 150 ppi. I'm into beauty. I'm shallow like that. In turn, I commend you on your authenticity and depth of character in accepting the Note 10.1.

But I will say there is something appealing about the Note 10.1's no holds barred function-over-form design. It's like the anti-Apple.

Dunno how you guys were using your Note 10.1 but mine has great battery life.

If the Note 10.1's battery suits your purposes, then it seems a non-issue.

I love the S-Pen

Yes, the S Pen is dope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21