Nexus 10 or Galaxy Note 10.1? Thoughts?!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
People like metal. But plastics can be much better for a given application. This is one of them.
Metal is good but they don't see the benefits of plastic. And yes, this is one of them. The Nexus 10 is probably the lightest tablet available because of what it's made out of and Samsung phones are the same way because of the plastic.

Metal is heavier obviously and it's more expensive which means a more expensive phone.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I asked myself that and ended up with the Nexus. I do stuff you'd think the S pen would be good for - quick technical drawings and schematics and so forth. But I have found that the Bamboo stylus is fine for that and the better resolution of the Nexus helps my work. Also it sounds better when streaming movies :) I like the grippiness of the Nexus too. This is from a Samsung fanboy.

As for the resolution - where this really helps is in resolving fine lines. It's impossible of course for a screen like this to be blurry. What it can do is fail to resolve edges well. If the screen driver can't decide cleanly where a pixel ought to be - for instance if you draw a 1 pixel wide line in the space BETWEEN pixels - the software has to decide what to do. Say the line is vertical, but very slightly tilted. The software will light whichever pixel it decides is right, then the next one up the line may end up closer to the next pixel and it will light that one, or it may light both. So you end up with what appears fuzzy. Finer resolutions don't eliminate this (since finer <> infinite) but it does make it less obvious. The Nexus screen is beautiful and makes technical drawings look much better and easier to read. For stuff like movies and so forth, it doesn't matter to me. The motion covers up any pixelation.

The point, if there is one, is that both tabs are really good. They have different feature sets and strengths. I find the Nexus better suited to my use. But there is no question that Samsung makes a heck of a tab too, and somehow I got along on a lesser screen (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10) before the Nexus came along :)

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Being in architecture and using AutoCAD WS this was my biggest concern. Showing PDFs to my clients and redlining existing drawings is another one. The Note would seem to be great for it, but the clarity of images for drawings and client viewing is the most important thing to me. Were it not for the resolution I would go with the Note 10.1. I can work around the lack of the S Pen.

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
When I was in University I had a Windows XP Tablet with a digitiser pen (like the S-Pen), and it was quite worth it, once I was done with courses, I stopped using the pen. It's really something that would depend on usage.

atrain530

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
People are saying the selling point would be the stylus on the Note... i also think that the SD Memory expansion on the Note should also be looked at.The Nexus doesnt have memory expansion(like the iPad). im always taking and editing video, or uploading movies to watch. I need Memory for this! Google has a huge Fanboy following which is making it hard to find a good review to follow. Yes Google is awesome, but i think they went Apple on the consumer by taking away the Sd memory slot. im very dissapointed in them for this! All Tablets should have expandable memory period! there are new torrent apps that allow tablets to download torrent files, which is AWESOME and extra memory will be essential...

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
No, they just didn't want to pay Microsoft for the ExFAT patent license. It had nothing to do with copying Apple.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
They still pay Microsoft for android in general, who cares if there is a sd slot.

It would boil down to the cost of redesigning the case for a slot and the retention mechanism/interface on the motherboard for the card.

All in all, it is just Google not wanting sd card slots on their nexus devices anymore.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
People are saying the selling point would be the stylus on the Note... i also think that the SD Memory expansion on the Note should also be looked at.The Nexus doesnt have memory expansion(like the iPad). im always taking and editing video, or uploading movies to watch. I need Memory for this! Google has a huge Fanboy following which is making it hard to find a good review to follow. Yes Google is awesome, but i think they went Apple on the consumer by taking away the Sd memory slot. im very dissapointed in them for this! All Tablets should have expandable memory period! there are new torrent apps that allow tablets to download torrent files, which is AWESOME and extra memory will be essential...

1) Expandable memeory should be a consideration when making a decision. When I made mine I did so knowing that with cloud storage many of the things I traditionally needed save don the device could be stored to the cloud and accessed via internet. Other's milage may vary but it is a persoanl decision not a universal constant.

2) Android has Fanboys. So does Apple, Microsoft, Blackberry, Nintendo, Playstation and Heinz Ketchup. How Android Fans make it harder to find a good review than any other device is well beyond me. WHY you would make a statment on an ANDROID site is equally beyond me. Finding a good review depends more on the REVIEWER than the number of Fanboys a device has.

3)Torrents. Lets be honest, 95% of torrents out there are used for Piracy. Of the remaining legitimate torrents I find it hard to believe they are of such a size to make expandable storage MANDATORY. You will win no arguements with me flying the flag of Piracy.

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
They still pay Microsoft for android in general, who cares if there is a sd slot.

It would boil down to the cost of redesigning the case for a slot and the retention mechanism/interface on the motherboard for the card.

All in all, it is just Google not wanting sd card slots on their nexus devices anymore.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

Google doesn't pay MS.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Google doesn't pay MS.

Yes, they do. Google has a licensing deal with microsoft to pay fees for patents used. This has been known for some now.

Google pays a small amount for every handset that is produced with the android os installed on it.

Unless I have read the previous articles wrong and it is the oems that pay this, or maybe specifically the nexus devices.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Kal-EL7

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
This thread was very educational on the basis of what is the best way to word your opinion without offending anyone. I studied very carefully every post and comment on here and I can automatically see how certain wordings could have been restructured to convey the same message without causing for someone else to feel they were wrong for feeling the way they did about their opinion. For years I studied proper presentation and this was helpful to aid me in duplicating this same thread, albeit with a bit of change to make it more neutral. All in all, I could see and agree with everyone.

Adam Tentis

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they do. Google has a licensing deal with microsoft to pay fees for patents used. This has been known for some now.

Google pays a small amount for every handset that is produced with the android os installed on it.

Unless I have read the previous articles wrong and it is the oems that pay this, or maybe specifically the nexus devices.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Google pays no one. Some oems do like htc for things like setting out of office from phone.

Henaway

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I've never really agreed with Google's stance on no microSD in Nexus phones. For starters, the original intent was for them to be DEVELOPER DEVICES - and their argument was that it was too confusing for CONSUMERS to have SD expansion. I haven't seen the inclusion of microSD listed by anyone as a reason NOT to buy any mobile device. Anywhere. And for DEVELOPERS, the Nexus devices SHOULD have microSD specifically so devs can program their apps to use it on devices that support it - and actually test it.

I've been reading this thread because I find myself in the same debate. What I can't decide is the S-Pen factor, because I have no way to try it out. I'm also a fan of microSD expansion (even though it hasn't been a problem with my Nexus 4 ... yet). But the hardware specs on the N10 are obviously far superior. Basically I want a 10" tablet to essentially replace my laptop, which is seldom used these days, except for what I can't bring myself to fight with on my phone. Plan would be to add a full size Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. At home, I have a 750gb USB drive attached to an iMito Android stick on my TV that provides (via SMB) network storage for the whole house. So microSD isn't vital at home, so the N10 doesn't really lose there. I have 50GB of Box storage for anything I need to be portable. Between NAS and cloud, storage is pretty well covered.

My wife has been using a Transformer (TF101) for a couple of years now as her main 'computer'. I really love the way Asus made the docks with ports and batteries inside, but the keyboard is just too small for my hands ... otherwise I'd probably just be waiting for this summer's refresh to hit the shelves. HP's new SlateBook 10 x2 also looks interesting. I've always liked their hardware, but they don't have a great track record with tablets yet.

Some days I think it would be awesome to be one of those people who doesn't really care what they're buying, so long as the high school kid at Best Buy says it's shiny. Until you get home with an infuriating pile of crap. LOL

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just one word: Bloatware! I bought my 10.1 from Costco, and after a few days of playing with it, decided that I would need to root the device in order to get rid of the stupid "S-Suggest" that took up half the screen and constantly nagged me about what Samsung wanted me to consider. Then, I thought about the screen resolution and decided to take the Galaxy back. Went to the nearest Wally World and bought the Nexus 10. I feel better, now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

BTownBiz

May 10, 2013
Visit site
How are ppl saying teh N10 specs blow away teh GN10.1..besides teh res..teh GN10.1 is quad core vs N10 dual core..both are 2gb RAM..so you rly are looking at highr res N10 vs more cores + Spen + microsdhc (up to 64gb) GN10.1 oh + multi screen, smart stay & a few more worthwhile touchwiz features..

and about $50-$80 cheaper

The resolution is kinda a let down..but in its entirety I think teh GN10.1 makes up for it with ease

- - - Updated - - -

How are ppl saying teh N10 specs blow away teh GN10.1..besides teh res..teh GN10.1 is quad core vs N10 dual core..both are 2gb RAM..so you rly are looking at highr res N10 vs more cores + Spen + microsdhc (up to 64gb) GN10.1 oh + multi screen, smart stay & a few more worthwhile touchwiz features..

The resolution is kinda a let down..but in its entirety I think teh GN10.1 makes up for it with ease

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Bloatware and poorer specs on the Galaxy.
Nexus 10, first to get updates. (I'm still waiting on my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus to get the JB update).
Unless you really must have the pen, I wouldn't think it a hard decision.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

It is not about the NUMBER of cores but the Power of the cores. For example would you rather have 4 tricycles or 2 10 speed bicycles? 4 standard Def TVs or 2 HD TVs?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam