Nexus 10 Battery Problem

ssr2568@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Received my new Nexus 10 16GB on March 5th.The tablet has lived up to all I was expecting except for the battery, the best screen on time I have got has been about 4 hours from fully charged.
Yesterday I received a new Pogo charger so charged the tablet to 96% and then used the tablet on the internet for exactly 2 hours during which time the battery charge level fell to 69%.
I got a call back through Google support to their device hardware technical Dept, where it was decided that a replacement tablet would be sent as upwards of 7 hours would be expected from internet usage, not the 4 hours I was getting.
I originally thought that the battery would improve after a number of charges, two of which were from a fully discharged tablet but that has not been the case.
I have checked various forums and have not found that this is a common problem so hopefully this is a one off, or has anyone else had the same problem?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
A few things you should be aware of in case Gogole support didnt tell you.

The Wall wart [the part thet plugs into the wall outlet and the usb cable plugs into] that came with the device puts out more power than the typical USB power cord. Charging from a computer or antother power cord will usually result in a longer charging time.

Nexus 10 has a great screen but the screen sucks back more power than <insert stereotype*> sucks back <insert matching stereotype**> so adjusting your brightness will reult in longer batery life.

Apps that frequently access the intenet can drain more power as well. you need to look at the battery usage and determine where the power is going.

The Pogo Charger is not an OFFICIAL Pogo Charger. it DOES NOT charge faster than USB [but obviously will save wear and tear on the USB port, I'm awaiting mine from Amazon ;) ]

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with the tablet mechanically, The big beautiful screen we have uses power like a beast. I imagine Google's plan is to optimize the OS for power consumption and release an official charger which I'd like to think would be twice as fast.

The pogo charger that's out there is only marginally faster.

I just picked up the tablet too and I'm really impressed as well. I have noticed one thing, the display is so good that I can run the display at much lower brightness than my former tablet. Unless I'm showing it off, I'll run it at 0%-25%.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
charged the tablet to 96% and then used the tablet on the internet for exactly 2 hours during which time the battery charge level fell to 69%.

If you do the math, that means you got 2 hours runtime out of 27% of the battery. Extrapolated, that means a full charge would have been 7.4 hours runtime to 0%. Simple algebra.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
That's the price we get for the best screen on a tablet ever, it's been mentioned in reviews that lower battery life is the draw back. I don't see it as a downside though as I always have a charger around and the battery lasts much longer than I need it to. Plus the screen is worth it, it is just plain that good.

ssr2568@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
If you do the math, that means you got 2 hours runtime out of 27% of the battery. Extrapolated, that means a full charge would have been 7.4 hours runtime to 0%. Simple algebra.
I understand what you are saying, but in real time conditions that has not been the case, I explained this to the technical help and it was he who decided a replacement should be sent (arriving today)
I contacted the technical help for advice on the battery usage not to ask for an exchange

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this helps but Google stated its next update includes a battery optimization project called project roadrunner. I have no idea what Google intends to do exactly but a lot of things could be tweaked that result in a longer battery life.

For me, with the current battery life I'd be fine but I'd really like that pogo charger if it could handle a full charge in a couple hours.

Loving this tablet though. I've had a tablet for a year already but for some reason I never understood how to arrange my screens. Now i use 100% of the real estate on widgets. My boss told me that would leach my battery but the cool thing is, it won't. 9000 mah doesn't give a hoot about widgets, its just the display and hardware.

ssr2568@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My replacement Nexus 10 has arrived.
I fully charged it with my Pogo charger and now after1 hour on the internet it has only used 8%, a much improved drainage figure

Last edited:

Pierre2020

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Simple but possibly wrong. You are assuming a linear behavior. How do you know that? In fact, the experience ssr2568 has been having demonstrates the opposite. Simple reasoning.

Pierre2020

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I am very disappointed by the very very long battery recharging cycle of my Nexus. It takes FOREVER to charge. There is obviously a design issue in this product.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am very disappointed by the very very long battery recharging cycle of my Nexus. It takes FOREVER to charge. There is obviously a design issue in this product.

(Hint: You should reply with quote, otherwise it sounds like you are having a conversation with yourself :) )

There is no design issue or problem in the product. It works properly and as designed. As has been posted many, many times, there is only so much current allowed through a micro USB connector, and that will limit the rate at which it charges the Nexus 10's huge battery. If you want faster charging, use the POGO connector. Me- I don't care. I *LOVE* having a *STANDARD* connector that allows me to charge it with *ANYTHING*, so I don't care if it takes a few hours longer than a proprietary charger.

Honkworm2

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I got my Samsung nexus 10 in Dec 2012, after about a month the battery would not charge, well very slowly about 1% in one and a half hours. I sent it back to Samsung, they updated the OS And it has been charging up until this week. I hate how long it takes to charge the battery and I can't seem to find much about it on the internet. I wish Google would step forward and take more responsibility with regards to this product. They seem to be silent. Makes me wish I had bought an iPad now. So last night 14 hours ago I left it to charge in the off mode. It has charged from 24% to 54%. That's just unacceptable. Hey Google ---if you want to start kicking Apples **** you need to pay attention to stuff like this. I can't image that I am the only one with this problem. Looks like I will have to send it back to the repair center a second time. Anyone have any suggestions. That's why I ended up here at this forum.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I got my Samsung nexus 10 in Dec 2012, after about a month the battery would not charge, well very slowly about 1% in one and a half hours. I sent it back to Samsung, they updated the OS And it has been charging up until this week. I hate how long it takes to charge the battery and I can't seem to find much about it on the internet. I wish Google would step forward and take more responsibility with regards to this product. They seem to be silent. Makes me wish I had bought an iPad now. So last night 14 hours ago I left it to charge in the off mode. It has charged from 24% to 54%. That's just unacceptable. Hey Google ---if you want to start kicking Apples **** you need to pay attention to stuff like this. I can't image that I am the only one with this problem. Looks like I will have to send it back to the repair center a second time. Anyone have any suggestions. That's why I ended up here at this forum.

Are you using the charger it came with? At 2 Amps, it should be charging MUCH faster. Yes, it will take a few hours to fully charge (it's a large battery), but mine will usually charge ~20-25%/hour, which is about 10x the rate you quote above.

If you were to use a different charger, like one from a phone, it's probably only supplying 1 Amp or less, so that would make a huge difference...and don't even bother trying to use a USB-to-computer connection -- that would probably only be enough power to cause it to discharge slower.

EDIT: If you are using the charger that came with it...there may just be something wrong with your device...?

applebaystryker

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had my nexus now for 5 days and it won't charge. The only way I can use it is if I keep it plugged into the wall. I left it on charge for a full night as well but it only charged 2%. I'm using the charger that cane with the tablet but the adapter and the adapter has become very hot.

yiweitech

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had my nexus now for 5 days and it won't charge. The only way I can use it is if I keep it plugged into the wall. I left it on charge for a full night as well but it only charged 2%. I'm using the charger that cane with the tablet but the adapter and the adapter has become very hot.

That's obviously a technical issue...however slow the nexus 10 charges, not charging at all is a defect, send it back to google, they'll give you a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781