Stream ISO from NAS to Android (Nexus 10)

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Since tablets were introduced I've been waiting for The Holy Grail of function to arrive for me qat home. It's finally here!

I've been wanting to play my ISO files from my NAS without need for a pc to bridge the gap or without transcoding from the NAS (an unRAID server).

I downloaded XBMC for android (in beta) and sideloaded to give it a try. After several no-go's I finally have it running. And it runs really smoothly, so far. I'ver very impressed. I have not tried the blu-ray files for mkv files.

I'm posting this because I constantly monitor if anyone has been able to get something like this up and running and this is the first I have found that works so well. (My last attempt was ES File Explorer and MX Video Pro which was okay but a little laggy and buggy).

I hope this helps someone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Stream ISO from NAS to android (Nexus 10)

What NAS are you using? I own a Synology and I convert all my movies to MP4 files using handbrake to get the file sizes down (1GB roughly for a 2 hour movie). But if you have ISOs working, that's awesome. I am going to try it tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 10

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Edit: I watched 'Dark Shadows' last night and was getting some lag / studder / stopping. So it's still not perfect. I think it's still a hardware issue having to transcode.

I built an UnRaid server about two years ago. I had finally had it with the lack of upgradability with stand-alone boxes. Had Buffalo Tech, then Inferant NV+ and moved to unraid. When my drives are full, pop in another and off I go.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Just to update this thread - XBMC latest build works!!!

It's playing without studder on my Nexus 10. Brilliant!

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

I use Freenas for my server. The software is free and runs in an old pc with 6 drives and a ton of memory. Everything is available as Samba shares and it hasn't gone down in years. Most of the video is .avi or mp4 though. None of my devices have to transcode this way but the conversion from disd to .avi takes quite a while.

Edit: I watched 'Dark Shadows' last night and was getting some lag / studder / stopping. So it's still not perfect. I think it's still a hardware issue having to transcode.

I built an UnRaid server about two years ago. I had finally had it with the lack of upgradability with stand-alone boxes. Had Buffalo Tech, then Inferant NV+ and moved to unraid. When my drives are full, pop in another and off I go.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Having ISO's is nice depending on what you are doing. Certainly not convient though when it comes to transcoding though.

I think the point here is that he can do it, and really has nothing to do with what it is stored on.

My question would be how is the content encoded in ISO's. Is the content direct to play content, or does it have a full menu system and is interactive.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Most of my iso's are movie only. I do have a small sampling of full menu iso's. I'll check those and report back. Will also report back on full blueray rips and if they are playable. Will get back.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Full iso copy of a disc force closes the app. I so of movie only plays well. Blu-ray files studder, still.

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Just download VLC media player for android its awesome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Is there a benefit to having an iso versus just having the movie file since you have stated most of your ISOs are movie only?

Also I know you were using xmbc, but plex does run on unraid and android. Not sure if that is a better solution but it might be.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

It really depends on the environment and how it is used. I ended up keeping allot of content in ISO myself becuase I have software that will upscale and do enhancements in ISO and not with raw video files or Video_TS structures.

It would still be interesting to hear his logic for it though.

Plex isn't a solution for ISO's.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Iso files are my archival choice just as flac is for my CD's. My rip software also is to iso. Conversion to any other format would have been an added step and the most time-consuming of the process.

Hanzs

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

H, I amtrying the same but XBMC doesnt recognize my NAS. He only looks intern?
ES explorer sees the NAs but wont play the iso's
How do you get around this?
Thanks

cripp71

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Hi Hanzs, I'm far from an expert on this stuff but have done enough monkeying around with it to get it working on my setup. ES File Explorer (v 3.0.9.1) is a great program for navigating your network and doing basic file movement but will not directly play your ISOs. I have installed MX Player (v 1.7.22) as the player for .iso files in ES. One item of note though is that you will need to select the software decoder for the video file in the MXP settings. The H/W decoder will not generally work. You can find more on this in other threads. Hope this helps.

Android Nexus 10 4.4.2, Netgear 4300 router w/ 2TB WD USB ReadyShare'd

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

H, I amtrying the same but XBMC doesnt recognize my NAS. He only looks intern?
ES explorer sees the NAs but wont play the iso's
How do you get around this?
Thanks

You should be able to get this to work. Just make sure you tell xbmc that you are looking at content on a smb source. That is how I have my ouya setup.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon