Would you have rather gotten a surface?

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The nexus 10 and the surface, the two big competitors to the iPad. I just constantly hear online how awesome the surface is for notes and such. I would just like to know if any of you nexus 10 owners would have rather gotten a surface.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a hard time believing the Surface is wonderful at all. It's a brand new device in a brand new OS with a brand new app store. I have windows 8 and I use it through my nexus 10 exclusively And while I believe windows 8 is a big improvement I sometimes wish my PC ran on android.

I'm also not too terribly impressed with Microsoft. They are like six years late to the game and they have almost zero history of actual innovation and creativity during those six years. They've become stagnant like a utility company, merely doing what they need too and collecting a pay check. Its not impressive but windows 8 gives me hope that they will survive as an OS provider into future.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Not in the slightest. I'm not even interested in the Surface, partly because Microsoft has made nothing but the most useless commercials for the Surface I've ever seen for any product, they dont explain what it can do at all just some cheesy dance routines and a very annoying clicking sound.

My Nexus 10 is still the best tablet I could have.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I mean I use my nexus 7 for notes in class, but I was thinking if a surface would be a better device to take notes with because of its keyboard attachments. Also, windows 8 is supposed to be a better productivity os than android due to office. So you guys wouldn't want to get a surface for notes, and would rather use your nexus 10?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I mean I use my nexus 7 for notes in class, but I was thinking if a surface would be a better device to take notes with because of its keyboard attachments. Also, windows 8 is supposed to be a better productivity os than android due to office. So you guys wouldn't want to get a surface for notes, and would rather use your nexus 10?

You could theoretically run a Linux os on top of android on the nexus 10 and install office through there with playonlinux. I might be dreaming a little though.

Granted this would only work with an office iso not cd, and only if you could get it to mount.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You could theoretically run a Linux os on top of android on the nexus 10 and install office through there with playonlinux. I might be dreaming a little though.

Granted this would only work with an office iso not cd, and only if you could get it to mount.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Actually I'm fine with using evernote for taking notes, I just want to know your guy's opinions. Thanks for the suggestion though!

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I think you should be able to find a keyboard/case for the nexus 10 if that's what you desire. As for note taking, there are a number of apps that blow away anything I've seen come stock on a device... It really shouldn't be about what comes on a device but what you can do to it.

For my nexus

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
As I was saying, for my nexus I have found that very unique setups have advantages over others for specific tasks. There are the things that I do with my nexus 10. 1) entertainment, market analysis, and navigation. For these three tasks I can use three users with the entirely different custom fit for each task.

Entertainment is nothing but widgets with an awesome living wallpaper, access to basic online banking, gmail, Facebook, YouTube etc. Its job is to find things that may be interesting to me.

Navigation is minimalistic with a single screen and black background. Everything I need can be accessed by pop out widgets that overlay on my Google navigation. Music, voice search, Google now, brightness, I voice call with Skype. It is hands free and accessible. I have no dock bar for apps because I voice search with pop out widgets.

Market analysis, which I must admit I have not fully fleshed out yet will be pages of asset classes with links to charts that I've charted, notes for conclusions, links to trader accounts, access to Splashtop if I need a program that only operates on a PC, news asks that are talked to economic need.

You get the idea. I love my apps and I spend a lot of time hunting for good ones. Windows is not anywhere near open enough for me to do any of this.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
How do you do this?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums

There is an app called Splashtop 2 that I use. Its got windows 8's native gestures built into it. It works seamlessly at home and uses no data because it operates over local area network. Away from home, you need like 25mbps speed and a lot of data. Some Wi-Fi hotspots should be able to handle it.

You can use it to play computer games in your tablet. I mainly just use my computer for TV and it is my remote control to that end.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i dont know what MS is going to add to next version of windows 8. its going to be the same for 3 years.
I would never buy a surface, not in a million years.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
How can you guys be fans of windows? Its been totally stagnant for the last 18 years. They are the Omish of tech companies. I suppose if you like churning your butter by hand then its your thing. I need voice control, touch screen, intelligent predictive software. I need products that span the real world rather than trapped in an ugly box, at a desk, in a dark stinky corner of the house.

Thank god someone was able break through the Microsoft monopoly and make a phone/computer. Next we'll see watches, dashboards, windshields, locks, glasses, wristbands, appliances all working together.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The nexus 10 and the surface, the two big competitors to the iPad. I just constantly hear online how awesome the surface is for notes and such. I would just like to know if any of you nexus 10 owners would have rather gotten a surface.

You have to be kidding. Blech

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I mean I use my nexus 7 for notes in class, but I was thinking if a surface would be a better device to take notes with because of its keyboard attachments. Also, windows [MS-Windows] 8 is supposed to be a better productivity os than android due to office [MS-Office]. So you guys wouldn't want to get a surface for notes, and would rather use your nexus 10?

Taking notes certainly does not require running MS-Office. Plus, there are plenty of functional equivalents.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you do this?

Wouldn't "why" be a more appropriate question?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995