Laptop Substitute?

hockey9592

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I started a thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-10-tablet/265404-nexus-10-galaxy-note-10-1-a.html where I was redirected to: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-10-tablet/254929-nexus-10-galaxy-note-10-1-thoughts-5.html

I have read through everything. My HP laptop failed me today and I am really stuck in a tough spot. If I were to purchase a tablet, which I have never even used one, I am convinced the Nexus 10 is the one to get. I do own Razr Maxx and love the Android operating system. However, I am still not sure if another Windows laptop is the way to go. As much as I dislike Microsoft, Windows still has a few necessities I need that I am not sure an Android tablet can provide.

I am a soon to be college graduate so I will need something to help me finish out school. Windows laptops have Microsoft office, but I am aware there are substitutes programs for Android. Will any of the apps save in a .doc(x) format, which is basically a necessity? Is there a good keyboard to use for the Nexus 10? Another possibility is purchasing a desktop PC & and Nexus 10 as they have serve different uses.

At a time when people use desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones it is such a difficult decision. Help! :confused:

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as the file format, I know most office substitutes will save to the .doc format, but you would have to check with the app developers to be certain of the .docx format. Could be proprietary to office still, not sure.

The problem of a tablet replacing a laptop or desktop is an issue. They all serve their purposes accordingly. The desktop for a stationary type of computing experience, the laptop for a mobile near desktop experience and a tablet for a portable experience when you don't need a desktop or laptop.

I, myself, have the same dilemma as I write this. I have a 15" Windows laptop, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1", and a Dell Latitude 10" Windows 8 Pro tablet.

The note and latitude are fighting our out for a portable device that I can do multiple tasks on. The latitude is in the lead die to its ability to run full Windows apps, like office 2013. The note is handy and functional due to the s pen and its integration into the device.

I also am looking at ditching my laptop and using the tablet(s) exclusively. Here it comes........

But........The tablets are limited on space for storing data without some kind of external solution, which means another accessory.

My thought process is this, right now, it could change later. I am liking at getting a ultrabook type laptop to replace my current, and at some point try to decide between the two tablets. That way, I could have a large drive on the laptop to store media and files, and sync the tablet to it when I need to transfer any data. I would use the tablet for lighter computing needs in the field so I am not carrying the laptop around all day.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I started a thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-10-tablet/265404-nexus-10-galaxy-note-10-1-a.html where I was redirected to: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-10-tablet/254929-nexus-10-galaxy-note-10-1-thoughts-5.html

I have read through everything. My HP laptop failed me today and I am really stuck in a tough spot. If I were to purchase a tablet, which I have never even used one, I am convinced the Nexus 10 is the one to get. I do own Razr Maxx and love the Android operating system. However, I am still not sure if another Windows laptop is the way to go. As much as I dislike Microsoft, Windows still has a few necessities I need that I am not sure an Android tablet can provide.

I am a soon to be college graduate so I will need something to help me finish out school. Windows laptops have Microsoft office, but I am aware there are substitutes programs for Android. Will any of the apps save in a .doc(x) format, which is basically a necessity? Is there a good keyboard to use for the Nexus 10? Another possibility is purchasing a desktop PC & and Nexus 10 as they have serve different uses.

At a time when people use desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones it is such a difficult decision. Help! :confused:
Can't you get a MacBook Air? that's perfect for college and you can get office for it.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I used my Nexus 7 for this exact purpose. OfficeSuite Pro is the office suite I use and I feel it is worth the price. There are many excellent bluetooth keyboards for this purpose and Android also has mouse support (one button only) built in. I own a belkin keyboard/stand combo and when my N7 is in it, it basically is a laptop.

I ultimately stopped using it for this purpose as I had a few issues: the keyboard was to cramped and the screen to small. I'd also occassionally brush my hand against the back button on the screen which was most annoying. An N10 with a better keyboard would probably render these issues moot.

These days I use a chromebook with my N7. The few things that are inconvenient on the N7 work great on my chromebook. And the keyboard/stand still comes in handy for DOSBox
Sent from my Samsung Stratosphere using Tapatalk 2

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that stops a tablet from being a laptop is software. Do you really want to contribute to a kind of business plan that Microsoft seems to think it can provide? The more time goes by the less relevant windows software will become until it's totally unnecessary.

I think you should make sure you can get what your need done and then buy a case with a keyboard.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I have a 10" Samsung laptop (can't remember the model name) with an Intel i5 processor - which is why it's a laptop, not a netbook. I have to reboot every couple of days or it slows down but I love it. I take it everywhere as it barely weighs 2 lbs and is about 1/2" thick. Something like that might suit your needs. And it was only like $599 or something, not $1500+ like other lightweight laptops. It's actually lighter than my husband's lightweight business Lenovo laptop that is supposed to be super-light and at least 3x the cost.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
microsoft going the wrong way and i hate 8. Yes, N10 is a good laptop replacement
Good point. I got mine with Windows 7. I really believe they will ditch Windows 8 and that the effort to change all the branding to match is an attempt to save face and not admit they made a huge mistake.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

aalin13

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
This is the way that I look at this. I have a 5 year old Toshiba laptop and a Nexus 10. My laptop is basically a desktop now that I have a tablet, I only use my laptop for managing photos from my Sony NEX-5 and for office productivity work that goes for an extended amount of time. My tablet can satisfy all of my mobile computing needs and I really have no desire to be doing extended period of office productivity work when I'm on the go

I will most likely be replacing my laptop for a desktop box that I will build myself, as I think a tablet and a desktop is more suitable and cheaper for my computing needs than an expensive ultrabook. And, I can choose what OS I want, instead of being forced to use Windows 8

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to try and be as objective as I can be here.

1) There is no tablet out that can replicate (without major sacrifices) a Window 7/8 laptop (or especially desktop)

2) Leveraging cloud services like drive...you can come close....but Ill warn you that if your focused on excel for your degree (and especially if its a dependancey) the alternatives offered on Android are going to fall short.

3). You can cheat this of course, with an always on PC and a desktop sharing app like splashtop...but its going to cost you money (not tons...but there's a fee for anywhere access to your PC, and of course...you're going to need a PC to connect to)

4) by comparison to your traditional desktop...tablets are going to disappoint with regard to battery life, ports and most options you're used to for software

5). All that being said...you can accomplish 80-90% of what you need to accomplish on a tablet versus a desk/laptop...but be prepared to work for it and learn to think differently to solve what used to be nonexistent issues.

6) making sure you have wifi available will be your new priority in life with a n10...I'm not saying that's different with most laptops...but in case you didn't know.. there's no 3g/4g n10s out there in the wild...no air cards.

Now that I've said all that and the wolves are circling (,thinking of course that I somehow hate the n10, or that I'm an I cultist), ill tell you that I've been using the n10 as my primary technology portal for work for the last 3 months. I do have a laptop...but I've reduced it to just being a portal for Google Drive and as a Ms office kiosk (of sorts) when I actually need it for something. I've been happy probably 70% of the time.. the other 30 I've spent annoyed that there aren't easier solutions (or better) to handle my issues..but then, I'm just really whining...because at the end if the day...if I need a PC on mg tablet...I remote into my PC for it...

So why sound discouraging on the idea? You're in college...you need to focus and not on how to get your tools to work. It certainly can be done..its just a matter if it should be at this point (and how much time you're going to spend to get it to work).

Jack

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Good point. I got mine with Windows 7. I really believe they will ditch Windows 8 and that the effort to change all the branding to match is an attempt to save face and not admit they made a huge mistake.

They continue their trend of good OS version (windows 7) then a bad one (windows 8.)

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If you want it to be an effective substitute, there are a few things you need to consider.

1. Keyboard and mouse. You will need one of those. Most BT keyboard and mice will work OK with the Nexus 10. I use an HP TouchPad keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse. Maybe the mouse isn't essential but it stops you reaching across to move things.
2. Software. What are you trying to do? Writing emails, creating and editing documents, creating and editing simple spreadsheets, browsing the web - all these work well with Android. If you want to get more complex and start doing Visio like things, SQL databases or heavy spreadsheets, then you need a real PC.
3. Where? You still really need a desk if you are going to get serious about this. If it's only browsing the web or playing social stuff (games/facebook/twitter etc) then no issues. But start doing things like editing docs and you need a steady platform (See 1 above).

It can be done. I took my tablet & KB on holiday with me and was able to keep in touch back home, upload photos to save them off my camera, write my daily diary and, of course, browse away. I would normally take a PC to do that, but this was a (successful) experiment.

I hope this helps a bit

Alan

hockey9592

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I definitely have a better understanding of a tablet's functionality in relation to a PC/Laptop. I have decided the Nexus 10 will be a good substitute for the majority of things I do on a laptop, but not all which is fine. After reading the replies I will want to get a keyboard/mouse.

1. What is the best keyboard/case combo?
2. I assume any bluetooth mouse will work with the Nexus? And will I actually have the ability to see a cursor move across?
3. Do you foresee a better tablet (or newer Nexus) coming out in the next few months that is worth the wait? As it is I may have to wait until summer before I can purchase the Nexus 10.

A few more vague questions (rather than starting a new thread, which I hope is in line with forum rules):
1. Will all of the apps that work on my Razr Maxx easily transfer/work on the Nexus 10?
2. I will want to use the Nexus 10 to play emulators as well. Are there any recommended emulators (NES/SNES/GBC/GEN/PSX) that perform especially well with the Nexus 10? How does playing emulators (or games in general) compare to a smartphone?

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
They continue their trend of good OS version (windows 7) then a bad one (windows 8.)

This is a bit of a misconception. Windows 7 is pretty much Windows Vista, with some UI tweaks and a few other additions. Vista laid the foundation for Windows 7 by forcing devs to make programs with a more secure model. When Vista launched, everyone was running XP programs that caused all the annoying pop ups. By the time 7 came around, most programs had a Vista/7 compatible version, so even someone upgrading from XP wouldn't have noticed any problems. If you had someone who had used neither try 2 systems with both OSes today, they'd be able to tell that 7 is a bit better, but they wouldn't identify any major drawbacks. By the same token, if you get someone who isn't prone to nerd rage to try Windows 7 and Windows 8 side by side, in desktop mode, they might have a preference, but they wouldn't express hatred for either one.

The same thing is going to happen with Windows 8. They're setting the foundation for Windows 9, which they're not going to release until a large number of Windows RT apps are available, and they'll also have fleshed out the Metro side of things so you don't have to do some of your configurations in legacy mode. Everyone will stick with the Myth that Windows 8 sucked and Windows 9 is great, but there won't be much of a difference between the two in actual performance and usage.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Seeing every version of windows released I can attest to the idea that no version has ever been good within the context of public opinion. Every single version was met with cries of hate for Microsoft.

I may deduce that windows is simply a function item that nobody enjoys using, much in the same as a toilet. Its a functional item, try to improve it by squirting people in the anus, increasing our decreasing flush size, or moving the handle and you will be met with an angry internet mob who just wanted to get crap done.

I'm not sure how windows can be objectively judged when it all seems based on opinions. What exactly makes windows 8 bad? It is attempting to modernize itself which is desperately needed unless it's going to go down in history as the crapper of operating systems.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Seeing every version of windows released I can attest to the idea that no version has ever been good within the context of public opinion. Every single version was met with cries of hate for Microsoft.

I may deduce that windows is simply a function item that nobody enjoys using, much in the same as a toilet. Its a functional item, try to improve it by squirting people in the anus, increasing our decreasing flush size, or moving the handle and you will be met with an angry internet mob who just wanted to get crap done.

I'm not sure how windows can be objectively judged when it all seems based on opinions. What exactly makes windows 8 bad? It is attempting to modernize itself which is desperately needed unless it's going to go down in history as the crapper of operating systems.
I really hate when manufacturers move the handles or change the direction you need to push it to get it to work.

By the same standard, people use computers for particular reasons and they just want to be able to accomplish things without having to figure everything out again - ie Microsoft Office 07 and up. Granted, Windows 95 set the current standard for desktops and icons and reduced the need for command knowledge, but is having the entire screen covered at all times moving in the right direction or just frustrating?

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Office 2007 was great, it was a huge step up from the previous toolbar layout which was actually from the DOS Era, Office 2007, like Adobe CS6 was the first time productivity software was really designed from the ground up for a GUI.

Windows 8 didn't make any unnecessary changes. It's pretty clear tablets are going to take over as the dominant personal computing device, Bill Gates understood that, just a bit ahead of time, and MS needed to make some big changes to Windows to have a chance going forward.

I'll admit I spend 95% of my time in legacy mode (especially with a 24", 1080P screen), but I prefer Windows 8's desktop to Windows 7's, for reasons like the improved file copy control and the ribbon in explorer. With a smaller screen (my 13", 800P laptop), I actually liked the Metro UI better. With Windows 8, as long as you're open minded, you get the best of both worlds.

The main problem I have with MS has nothing to do with Windows 8 specifically, but they do a terrible job supporting countries outside the US. So, a walled garden would really suck in Canada. That's the main reason I'm trying to move away, and just use Windows for legacy software support.

Mark Brough

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I too need to buy a BT keyboard. As has been said, there are many good ones. But also many bad ones!
Here's a commercial site to set off your hunt...
nexus10keyboard.com
I'm puzzled that I rarely hear of BT mouses for N10. My Windows machine uses a wireless keyboard AND mouse for almost the same price as a keyboard alone. I don't see why anyone would not get a mouse as well. Perhaps its because of the touch screen? I'm wondering if there's a little hassle using a BT keyboard at the same time as a mouse.

Consider not buying a keyboard-case combo, in case you choose to use the keyboard and/or mouse with your RAZR Maxx.

I find many things will not work in my browser via touch, for example the window-size handle on the bottom right of this teeny weeny text input box- it refuses to recognise my touching it to drag a bigger box. I wonder if for some reason they would work with a mouse.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
From a minority that swears to only use a Mac maybe, but overall that's hard to believe.