Adobe Flash Player?? WHY NOT???

CHEWCH87

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I own a Toshiba Thrive 10" Tablet which I really like but between my wife & 9 yr old son...is never free to use so I bought myself a Nexus 10 32 GB. I'm very impressed with it after a week. I'm disappointed however that it doesn't support Adobe Flash player which I always used on my Thrive to play the tons of free TV shows & movies through my Amazon Prime Account. Does anyone expect Google to include Adobe Flash in any future software updates?? Any suggestions? Its such a shame that With this awesome screen...that I can't take advantage of all the HD movies Amazon has to offer as a Prime Member.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The flash player is not available in the Play store, but you can load the player if you need it. A Goggle search will point you to the distribution. Me, I have banned flash from all of my systems.

CHEWCH87

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The flash player is not available in the Play store, but you can load the player if you need it. A Goggle search will point you to the distribution. Me, I have banned flash from all of my systems.
Why don't you like Flash?? Also I tried to download it direct from Adobe and it says my Tablets system won't support it?? But then why does the Thrive??? Its the Android ice cream sandwich.....Nexus is Android Jellybean...so why not include Flash player??

- - - Updated - - -

I will try the Google search as you suggested.....

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
It's not available for jelly bean because Adobe dropped support for flash after ICS and will no longer be developing it. It will install in JB but it will not be guaranteed to work by neither Google nor Adobe.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I own a Toshiba Thrive 10" Tablet which I really like but between my wife & 9 yr old son...is never free to use so I bought myself a Nexus 10 32 GB. I'm very impressed with it after a week. I'm disappointed however that it doesn't support Adobe Flash player which I always used on my Thrive to play the tons of free TV shows & movies through my Amazon Prime Account. Does anyone expect Google to include Adobe Flash in any future software updates?? Any suggestions? Its such a shame that With this awesome screen...that I can't take advantage of all the HD movies Amazon has to offer as a Prime Member.
first Google cant include flash because flash is build by adobe and they abandoned it. you still can install it externally.
going forward no matter what tablet you buy which has jelly bean and later wont have flash. This is exactly the reason why everyone is moving away from flash and to HTML5.
since adobe killed flash no one can do anything but if one company try to kill html5 it wont happen since html5 is open.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Once you do get flash installed, you'll need to use a browser that supports it. I use Boat Browser whenever I need to use flash.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

To be clear ADOBE [ the maker of Flash] has ceased developing it for Android.

Adobe to stop new development on mobile Flash Player | Android Central

Adobe to begin blocking new installs of Flash tomorrow | Android Central

What the 'death' of Flash means for Android and the web | Android Central

As for Amazon Prime.... well I'm sure they want you to watch their content on a Kindle fire, there is a thread somewhere in these forums that goes into more detail about Amazon prime.

cyberprodigy

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Really miss Flash from mobile devices. Mobile devices are becoming more powerful, it would make good sense to restore support for it in a few years or so.:)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Adobe is shifting their architecture over to HTML5 and more modern content solutions than Flash. It's a smart move, and in the end will benefit many. Look to YouTube's HTML5 beta player (I've been using it since it was first made available) and Netflix's upcoming transition to HTML5 from Silverlight as examples. HTML5 is very nearly at the point where it can replace all content that once required Flash in order to be widely supported. The reason that it's taken a while for online video streaming to catch up with HTML5 is that secure, DRM-like security for content streaming (Netflix, etc.) wasn't at the point that companies wanted it to be.

See this: Adobe explains why it killed mobile Flash: it couldn't compete with HTML5 | The Verge.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I'm not completely familiar with Amazon video services, but can you not use the Amazon Instant Video app for this?
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...wxLDEsImNvbS5hbWF6b24uYXZvZCJd&token=b-MFOUmW

Simply put, Flash for Android was a bit of a failed experiment. It was a huge a resource hog and even presented security holes as well (which is the primary reason I recommend not side-loading the older version). Yes, it did work, but Adobe abandoned support for it quite a while ago. I wouldn't expect to ever get it back on ANY mobile platform.
There is a similar thread on this issue here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-10-tablet/273173-adobe-flash-player-help.html

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not completely familiar with Amazon video services, but can you not use the Amazon Instant Video app for this?
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...wxLDEsImNvbS5hbWF6b24uYXZvZCJd&token=H38ZO2RK

Simply put, Flash for Android was a bit of a failed experiment. It was a huge a resource hog and even presented security holes as well (which is the primary reason I recommend not side-loading the older version). Yes, it did work, but Adobe abandoned support for it quite a while ago. I wouldn't expect to ever get it back on ANY mobile platform.
There is a similar thread on this issue here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-10-tablet/273173-adobe-flash-player-help.html

The instant video app you linked is only for Google TV. Amazon hasn't released an app yet for regular android devices yet. They released one on iOS so its only a matter of time before they cave in and release one for non-Kindle android devices.

Angie Ferrell

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am so pissed with Amazon. Suddenly my thrive doesn't play amazon prime movies...worth canceling prime ...Those punks want to strong arm me into buy a kindle fire to watch their video?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon