Nexus 10 or iPad 4?

robuu

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm going to buy my first tablet and I have narrowed the possibilities to two. Either the Nexus 10 or the iPad 4. I realize that this might be a biased forum and so am I. I am also "against" Apple but I've got to admit that their tablets are great. They cost about the same here because I can't get the Nexus 10 straight from the Google Play Store :( Which one to get? Both of the tablets' displays are great, iPad has better apps. I own an S3 so would it be better to shake things up and get an iOS tablet or play it safe and go for the Android?

Only honest and as objective replies as possible, thanks.

If there is a better sub-forum for this thread let me know.

Last edited:

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 10 or iPad 3?

I have never owned a Nexus 10 but have owned other 10.1" android tablets in the past and the iPad just blows them out of the water. As you said, the apps for the iPad are generally better than apps for android tablets because a lot of android tablets apps are just phone apps blown up which don't look that great. I will say it was about a year ago I had this issue but I would imagine some apps are still this way.

I'd recommend the iPad all the way. If all you need a tablet for is games and movies etc. get the iPad.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

i bought N10 because i have an android phone. it has less tablet specific apps but that is changing very quickly.
almost 90% of the app i use is tablet specific. with my N4 and N10 the devices are synced seemlesly

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I would reccomend staying with android. I have the N10 and have no issues with "blown up apps" as Android is designed with scalability in mind so DEVs dont NEED to make seprate Tablet apps. IF you had an iPhone it might be smart to stay in the iOS pool, but since you have an S3 it would be as equally smart to stay in the Android Pool where you can get Apps from the Play store OR amazon Store or side load them directly from the Developer.

robuu

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I would reccomend staying with android. I have the N10 and have no issues with "blown up apps" as Android is designed with scalability in mind so DEVs dont NEED to make seprate Tablet apps. IF you had an iPhone it might be smart to stay in the iOS pool, but since you have an S3 it would be as equally smart to stay in the Android Pool where you can get Apps from the Play store OR amazon Store or side load them directly from the Developer.
Well yes. But this thinking is problematic and I don't feel a need to support it. In this thinking, everybody would just stick to their chosen OS and never change it. I can't just blindly choose Android because I think it's cooler and because I already have Android. I should go for the best product. Still haven't decided though, thanks for the contribution.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to completely disagree with bosshaug. Apps on Android look just as good as ones on iOS, plus the N10 is faster, more powerful and has a better screen then the iPad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Well yes. But this thinking is problematic and I don't feel a need to support it. In this thinking, everybody would just stick to their chosen OS and never change it. I can't just blindly choose Android because I think it's cooler and because I already have Android. I should go for the best product. Still haven't decided though, thanks for the contribution.

True, but it still presents a valid point...

App purchases in Google Play Store are tied to your Gmail account, not the device you used to purchase, so if you had already bought a bunch of apps, you can use them on the N10 without having to buy them again...I assume one could make the reverse argument if you owned an iPhone and had already purchased apps/media/etc in the Apple iTunes store.

Is it a reason to completely eliminate a device from consideration? Of course not. Is it still a valid thing to consider when making a prospective purchase? Absolutely.

I've used both. I own an N10, but have spent plenty of time on the iPad as well. For me, I just really prefer Android, and *for me*, there's nothing I need my tablet for that the N10 can't do any better than the iPad. What I use my tablet for may be completely different from what you plan to you use yours for, however...so it's kinda hard to give a blanket recommendation without knowing more about what you expect to get out of it.

Also, I personally find the "lack of tablet" apps argument to be somewhat misleading to potential buyers because the simple fact is that most apps will work just as well on a tablet as they do on a phone and thus the need for a "tablet-optimized" app is moot. I think this became a concern a while back because when the iPad first launched, many iPhone apps really didn't work that well on it, but honestly there are VERY rare times that I've ever had an issue finding an app I needed. Besides that, there are a lot of great tablet-optimized apps that do take advantage of the larger screen real estate when applicable.
EDIT: In other words, it's not like you're going to go into the Play Store and see bare shelves and only have a small number of apps to choose from...most apps, even many of those designed to run on a "phone" device will run just fine on the tablet.

robuu

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have to completely disagree with bosshaug. Apps on Android look just as good as ones on iOS, plus the N10 is faster, more powerful and has a better screen then the iPad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
This is the problem of asking my question on a Nexus 10 forum ;) The N10 is probably more powerful but I wouldn't say it's faster. The screen is great on both of them. And the iPad has a better battery life. I'm sorry, just being devil's advocate here. Damn you people, I can't choose now...

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This is the problem of asking my question on a Nexus 10 forum ;) The N10 is probably more powerful but I wouldn't say it's faster. The screen is great on both of them. And the iPad has a better battery life. I'm sorry, just being devil's advocate here. Damn you people, I can't choose now...

That's kind of why ultimately, you should go with whatever platform you prefer.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You'd get the same problem asking it in an iPad forum. ;)

Darren Donovan

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I use an iPad (belongs to my kids and wife). I like it, but could never get past the iTunes restrictions. In fact, I hated iTunes. Transferring files between computers was unnecessarily cumbersome. In the pc world, that task is so much easier. Ever since I got the nexus 10, I haven't touched the ipad. All my tech gadgets and computers are non Apple products.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do I get the feeling that they'd be even less objective? :)
Yeah, i'm sure the posts there would vary even less than they do here. The N10 wouldn't even be mentioned and everyone would just claim the iPad is a golden, gift of perfection from Odin's treasure vault cause it's an Apple product. And then there would be 1-2 that would make actual intelligent posts but would still favor the iPad.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Just to throw my two cents in... I'd echo what others have said about it making sense to stay within the same software ecosystem - any apps you've downloaded on your S3 (whether free apps or paid) will transfer seamlessly and automatically to an Android tablet. It sounds like that's not high on the criteria list for you, but it's still a factor.

For me, I use my N10 primarily for media consumption (Netflix mostly, I've bought a few movies/shows through the Play Store, and the new Play Music streaming service is excellent) and reading (blogs and books, occasionally a magazine) and I think that's where the N10 stands above the competition. The screen is fantastic, I love the widescreen viewing for videos, text is always crisp/sharp.

Regarding apps, that's really not an issue. There is actually a thread on this forum (I think from last week) specifically discussing Android tablet apps. Personally, I can only think of two apps that are obviously made for a cell phone screen: speedtest.net and Twitter. I don't have a Twitter account, so I don't care about that (my wife does have an account, but she doesn't seem to mind), and I don't use speedtest.net very often, so it's not a big deal.

One feature that you may like is the multiple user accounts. That's been a big plus for my wife and I. We're able to each have our own accounts with our own apps, setups, preferences, etc., and switching between the accounts is very quick and easy. If this is something that you would be sharing with a wife/kids/significant other, that may be something you appreciate too.

In terms of negatives, yeah, the battery isn't great, especially when you play graphic-intensive games. I don't play games on it very often so that's not a big deal for me, so I'm typically able to go a couple of days before a recharge during the week. On the weekends when I'm using it more, I'll end up charging it after a full day's use.

Also, when playing graphic-intensive games, and sometimes with video (but not with Netflix), the back gets warm to the touch. It's not all over, pretty centralized to the area right around the camera, but it's uncomfortable if you have it sitting in your lap.

Anyway, I know most of that is pretty subjective, but feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Regarding apps, that's really not an issue. There is actually a thread on this forum (I think from last week) specifically discussing Android tablet apps. Personally, I can only think of two apps that are obviously made for a cell phone screen: speedtest.net and Twitter. I don't have a Twitter account, so I don't care about that (my wife does have an account, but she doesn't seem to mind), and I don't use speedtest.net very often, so it's not a big deal.

...and there are quite a few 3rd party Twitter apps that ARE optimized for tablet use and have more functionality than the "official" Twitter app.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm going to buy my first tablet and I have narrowed the possibilities to two. Either the Nexus 10 or the iPad 4. I realize that this might be a biased forum and so am I. I am also "against" Apple but I've got to admit that their tablets are great. They cost about the same here because I can't get the Nexus 10 straight from the Google Play Store :( Which one to get? Both of the tablets' displays are great, iPad has better apps. I own an S3 so would it be better to shake things up and get an iOS tablet or play it safe and go for the Android?

Only honest and as objective replies as possible, thanks.

If there is a better sub-forum for this thread let me know.

Before you conclude you've narrowed it down you should Google HP Slate X2

robuu

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the awesome post flick0416. And my tablet will be for media consumption too. I don't know. I feel like I can't really go wrong with either tablet I choose to buy. I kind of like the idea of owning an Android devise and an iOS one too so I can always get the app, only one platform has. The switching between profiles is a definite bonus. Anyways, thanks for me giving me stuff to think about good sir.

Before you conclude you've narrowed it down you should Google HP Slate X2
When will it come out? Didn't even find it on gsmarena.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Try this site, not sure if it mails to you. Its Aus based, however, they sell their stock cheaper then the play store. The owner is known for his negotiation skills, in economics at uni, we read that he learnt it from asian markets how they give customers different coloured bags depending on how low they haggled it to ID which ones to ripp off more. He found out this method and does ridiculously low offers, then ignores offers from suppliers on weeks on end till they hit the right value - hence why his products are sold cheaply because he manages to get his suppliers to sell it ridiculously cheap.
Google Nexus 10 (16GB, Wi-Fi) | Android | Tablets & Laptops

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers