New to Android and Nexus 10

bbunnys

May 18, 2013
Visit site
So ive just purchased my first Android tablet and left the Apple eco system.

I chose the Nexus 10 as seems to be one of the better Android tablets, and was hoping to get some advise. Mainly use tablet for web browsing and multimedia, with light gaming.

1 What is the best web browser, it seems to be between Boat and Dolphin from what ive read, is this correct. Would love to use Chrome but reading around web seems bad on Nexus 10 or are they improving it.

2 What is best media player for watching video, one again use VLC on my PC is this good on Android as well. Or are there better ones around. Along with this I want to stream video from my PC to tablet, any recommended media servers/apps for this.

3 What is best way to find good apps for Nexus 10, I read also somewhere there is an app called Tablified Market which shows all Android tablet apps. Is this good and what other recommendations are there for finding good apps

4 Finally games, don't play a lot and coming from Apple it was easy to find games and sites which listed top games and reviews. What is there for Android and is there somewhere you can see most popular games and good ones for the Nexus 10

Any help for above questions and other suggestions would be super helpful thanks and sorry if they seem silly.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My personal favorite browser is google Chrome. For the video player I would use mx player, and to find good apps for the nexus 10, go to the Google Play app and go to games and then there is a drop down menu, so go to that and then select designed for tablets (or something like that) and then it should show you the apps that work well on it. Welcome to android!

Sent from my XT907

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android! Just out of curiosity, what led to your switch from Apple? And I'd be interested to hear your impressions after a month or two of using Android. To answer your questions:

1. The cool thing is that there is no shortage of browsers to choose from. Boat and Dolphin are both popular, as are Firefox and obviously Chrome. I haven't had good experiences with Chrome, so I've used Firefox the most. I've also found Ocean Browser to be good for streaming video from sites like ABC. Opera is another browser I've heard people mention favorably. Really, just try them out, figure out which one suits your needs best, and stick with that.

2. I can't really speak to this one. I either use proprietary apps for watching video (e.g. Netflix, MLB.tv, Youtube, etc.) or just the stock video player for videos that I've downloaded via the Play Store or shot with my camera. I've heard others mention MX Player favorably though.

3. The Play Store is pretty well organized. I've never had a problem finding what I need through there. One thing, and I'm not sure if this is still there since Google just did a major overhaul of the Play Store, but they used to have a button right on the home page of the Play Store for recommended tablet apps. Otherwise, Google search is probably your friend for that. If there's anything specific you're looking for, feel free to ask here.

4. I don't play a lot of games either, so can't speak much to this. I know there are categories in the Play Store for "Top Free Games" and "Top Paid Games" and stuff like that.

Good luck and have fun with your new toy!

bbunnys

May 18, 2013
Visit site
To answer your question flick0416 , I switched from Apple mainly because ive become bored with IOS and lack of customization. I really like the look and features of Android with widgets etc. Also may seem silly, but really like listing to Android Central podcast and watching All About Android. It seems Android is moving forward and IOS has become pretty stagnant.
But on the flip side I still think Ipad is one of the best made tablets and there ecosystem is pretty smooth and easy to use. But im sure Android will become more familiar to me once ive been using it longer.

revz247

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My personal favorite browser is google Chrome. For the video player I would use mx player, and to find good apps for the nexus 10, go to the Google Play app and go to games and then there is a drop down menu, so go to that and then select designed for tablets (or something like that) and then it should show you the apps that work well on it. Welcome to android!

Sent from my XT907

Your main set up seems identical to mine I've always used chrome and yeah you can't go wrong with MX player I would also recommend nexus media importer welcome to the forum and android hope you enjoy as much as I do

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
1. chrome has improved a lot and right now its close to the best. recent beta has tone of improvements

2. mx player

3. play store itself now feature tablet apps. tabletifed is a good source too. check the web if you dont want to install the app.

4. new playstore has gone big with games

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech