Nexus 10 battery drain.......in an instant

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just got my replacement N10. Google made the replacement process really easy, especially since the device is a little over a year old! It is unbelievable how much "whiter" the screen looks on this new device. I always thought that my old device had a great screen, but the whites were much "yellower" on the old device as compared to the new one.

Glad to hear from someone who has had a positve experiacne with the replacement process

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I have only owned this for a day now and mine did the same thing. Charged it full then used it for the last day and a half and at 38% it went to 0 and shut off. I got this as a gift and am very upset that happened. I hope sending it in fixes the problem. I am going to attempt to call the number and see what they can do for me. Has anyone had this happen to them and go away? Very disappointing. I don't want to send it out for repair if it happens again.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have only owned this for a day now and mine did the same thing. Charged it full then used it for the last day and a half and at 38% it went to 0 and shut off. I got this as a gift and am very upset that happened. I hope sending it in fixes the problem. I am going to attempt to call the number and see what they can do for me. Has anyone had this happen to them and go away? Very disappointing. I don't want to send it out for repair if it happens again.

I would try charging it up again and then seeing if the same thing happened. Mine would gradually drain to exactly 70% and then shut down, as the battery would be immediately at 0.

See my post above. I spoke to Google customer service via email. He suggested doing a few things that I had already tried. When I told the customer service rep that I had already tried everything that he suggested, he asked if I wanted to return mine for a replacement. They took a credit card as a deposit (although just authorized but not charged), and sent me a new device and return info. I set up the new device and just returned the old one using a return sticker via pre-paid UPS.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I would try charging it up again and then seeing if the same thing happened. Mine would gradually drain to exactly 70% and then shut down, as the battery would be immediately at 0.

See my post above. I spoke to Google customer service via email. He suggested doing a few things that I had already tried. When I told the customer service rep that I had already tried everything that he suggested, he asked if I wanted to return mine for a replacement. They took a credit card as a deposit (although just authorized but not charged), and sent me a new device and return info. I set up the new device and just returned the old one using a return sticker via pre-paid UPS.

Did you have or need a proof or purchase? I got it as a gift and wasn't sure if it was needed. Also you said call google instead of Samsung correct?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought it through Google and they had a record of my purchase through my email address.
Here is the contact info that I used:
googleplay-support@google.com

I emailed them and will see what happens. I am currently charging my tablet now to see if happens again. I hope not buying it thru them doesn't hurt my chances of getting it done.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I charged my tablet to 100% again for the second time since I owned it and now running sling player to see if it drains correctly and maybe my battery needed to be broken in or maybe when I charged it the first time it wasn't really at 100%. We will see what happens.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I charged my tablet to 100% again for the second time since I owned it and now running sling player to see if it drains correctly and maybe my battery needed to be broken in or maybe when I charged it the first time it wasn't really at 100%. We will see what happens.

Hopefully it works fine now, but there is no "breaking in" period for these batteries.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I figured but thought I would try it. Someone else mentioned in another forum saying it did the same thing and when they charged it the second time and it took forever but it didn't drain instantly again. I emailed Google with the address you gave me and see what they say.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
My only hope is that it wasn't really 100% when I charged it the first time and the battery was reading wrong.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully it works fine now, but there is no "breaking in" period for these batteries.

Yes there is. There is with all Lithium Ion. They do not reach their full potential until several charging cycles have been completed. The N10 is no exception and I saw a marked improvement in battery life after a break-in period.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes there is. There is with all Lithium Ion. They do not reach their full potential until several charging cycles have been completed. The N10 is no exception and I saw a marked improvement in battery life after a break-in period.

I hope your right. I did fully charge it a second time and the battery drained correctly and didn't go to 0 instantly again. I let it go to 14% and then charged it full again. We will see.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I hope your right. I did fully charge it a second time and the battery drained correctly and didn't go to 0 instantly again.

I am not saying that charging cycles will help with THAT problem. I was only correcting the posting saying that the N10 does not benefit from initial charging cycling, which it does. I estimate my battery life was extended by up to 25% higher.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not saying that charging cycles will help with THAT problem. I was only correcting the posting saying that the N10 does not benefit from initial charging cycling, which it does. I estimate my battery life was extended by up to 25% higher.

I know I am just hoping for any good news that the problem doesn't come back.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I seem to have had something similar to this happen to ME for the first time, tonight. I was playing a game and suddenly it just went "poof" and the tablet said it was shutting down, with no notice. It would not turn on.

So I plugged it in and it showed the battery icon, and I booted it up. Said 0% battery and charging. I *KNOW* it wasn't anywhere near 0%. So I checked the stats. Sure enough, the graph showed it was at 40% when it suddenly just went to 0% instantly and then shut down.

So I left it on the charger and went and did other stuff for an hour. Came back and pressed the power button to see how far it had charged. Guess what.... the tablet was OFF again! Have no idea why. I had left it on. So I booted it up again and it is now showing a 19% charge. Very odd.

Well, time marches on. It has been 7 months since that posting and the problem now occurs regularly. I can play games for about 2 to three hours (maybe 2 or 3 sessions of an hour each without charging) and it will show about 80% or 75% battery left, but then suddenly pop up a warning of low battery and shut down! Bought mine in November of 2012 and use it most every day. I think the battery is just wearing out... it is just such a strange way to wear. Normally lithium batteries don't act this way in computers, you just see the life shorten over time linearly with the battery indicator acting properly, going from 100% down to 0%.

Anyway, I think it might be time to consider replacing the battery. There are not a lot of choices out there. I can see the NewPower99 battery on Amazon ( Google Nexus 10 Battery Replacement Kit - Extended Life ) , which is a reasonable price at $60 + $6. But there are only 3 reviews. One review is invalid. One review is by someone who has only made one review ever, so I don't know if it is a real review. So there is really only one review, and it is positive. Has anyone else performed this battery replacement yet? If so, which battery did you use and are you happy with it?

Forge64

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm in a similar boat. A week ago, everything was perfect, no issues. Day before yesterday, I was playing a game on my Nexus 10, sitting on the back porch, and I felt and heard a very small but sharp "pop". The tablet instantly went dark. Plugged it in later, let it charge about 20-30 min before it even showed the battery indicator.

Fully charged overnight, next day, using my N10 again, reached about 70 or 80% battery and instant blackness. Contacted Samsung (didn't buy from Google directly), they told me the one year of warranty was expired, and basically I should get lost.

Currently have my N10 semi-permanently attached to my nightstand, not in use.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a similar boat. A week ago, everything was perfect, no issues. Day before yesterday, I was playing a game on my Nexus 10, sitting on the back porch, and I felt and heard a very small but sharp "pop". The tablet instantly went dark. Plugged it in later, let it charge about 20-30 min before it even showed the battery indicator. Fully charged overnight, next day, using my N10 again, reached about 70 or 80% battery and instant blackness.

Mine has never popped, and always shows the low battery box for a few seconds before shutting down... but otherwise similar behavior.

Contacted Samsung (didn't buy from Google directly), they told me the one year of warranty was expired, and basically I should get lost.

Yep, 1 year warranty, can't expect them to do anything after that. I am a bit disappointed that my battery didn't even reasonably last two years, though. Now just need to get feedback on replacement batteries. I have watched the video, it is not hard to do... we just need to know if the Power99 one is a good battery or crap...

Currently have my N10 semi-permanently attached to my nightstand, not in use.

I still can use mine for gaming (which sucks a lot of power) for at least an hour an a half. For most days that is fine. But life seems to be getting lower each month, so I will have to do something "soon".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca