Compelling reason(s) to choose Nexus 10 over iPad 4?

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It's not pathetic. It is actually really loud

Posted via Android Central App

I don't know if apple changed the speaker on the ipad4, but I have the iPad 3 and the speaker is crap. Apple should be embarrassed by it and offer some money back or a trade in. I have to use a post it and bend it around the front to get the sound to the front of the device. And even then, it's not very loud. Makes watching movies or tv shows hard when they aren't talking loud.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if apple changed the speaker on the ipad4, but I have the iPad 3 and the speaker is crap. Apple should be embarrassed by it and offer some money back or a trade in. I have to use a post it and bend it around the front to get the sound to the front of the device. And even then, it's not very loud. Makes watching movies or tv shows hard when they aren't talking loud.

That's odd. must be defective they are certainly loud

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Although surprisingly the iPad mini has stereo speakers and is loader slightly

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
First of all you need to separate UI Design from application code. These UI design elements should be completely independent of how the app works. Second no one is saying they couldn't release an app for one platform and then update to support the other. As a matter of fact I would even support they do so if they are in a financial position to need to do so.

The UI elements can be dependent or independent of the code but that is determine by the nature of the app itself. Also sometimes tablet apps have added features to take advantage of screen space so additional coding is required. Games need additional assets and artwork for higher resolution scenarios and adjustments to screen sizes. Either way this does take extra time and resources to do so. Also right now if you want to support Gingerbread versus newer devices, you have to approach screen sizing in two different formats.

But with that said I would seriously have a problem believing anyone that says it is better to do something halfway and not look at the whole picture just to get something out the door.

It all comes down to time and money. If you really think it works the way you hope it would, why do many apps make their initial entry in the Apple App store before the Android Market. Shouldn't they plan an initial release on all platforms. Some do, not all of them. It all comes down to budget and what depending on the situation, what their investors told them to do.

I can very well understand Splashtop having two separate platforms back with there gen1 app was released. At the time it was released the only android tab out was the Xoom and that is why I bought Splasthop HD. But that is now years ago, tablets are not new on the scene now, and the android platform has evolved allot since Honeycomb.

Platform is alot better, my point was that Splashtop started out with 10 million dollars in funding. That gives them a development advantage others may not of have. If they didn't have that funding or less funding maybe they would have delayed their entry into the Android market.

If wouldn't believe anyone that says it is better to maintain 2 support paths over one, or would I really want to support an app that promotes that route simply for monetization.
In the current status of Android (and really what it has been for some time) there is no reason that someone writing a app couldn't design a good UI for both tablets and phones into there app as long as they thought about it from the beginning. One design path, one maintenance path, one application.

Most of these people are supporting multiple paths already by having their apps on multiple markets. The question is what is the fastest easiest point of entry for success.

With all that said though, you really didn't state anything that says we need tablet specific apps. If anything the only thing I saw was you were advocating for it so developers can charge for their app twice.

No my point is because of the low price selling of the marketplace, they use this as a means to gain additional funds. If apps were selling at a higher price range, maybe this wouldn't be the case. Also for certain apps that have specific functions it is harder to have buy in purchases. Freemiun games are different. Candy Crush makes around 600k from the Apple App store alone from in app purchases daily.

Answers in bold.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Of the over 100 apps on my N7, none are scaled up or grainy. In comparison, half of the 40 apps on my father's iPad are scaled up, grainy, and are locked in a certain position so I can't even use the smart cover while using the app.

Scaling up is only part of the difference between a phone and a tablet app. Another, even more important difference is whether the developer writes a version that uses the extra screen space to provide additional features and thus a richer user experience.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
The question is not do tablet apps make a better experience but should they be needed. I have heard it said over and over again. And the simple answer is NO it isn't needed.

The idea that you have to have a separate phone and tablet app is completely ridiculous, and needs to stop being pushed. It is wrong. If anything it lets developers just be sloppy. They need to write there app correctly in the first place for both of them.

Again, this isn't about writing correctly. It's about taking advantage of the extra screen space to provide a richer user experience. One example is video conferencing apps. On the phone versions, you're often limited to just the video from the other participant(s). On the better tablet versions, the extra screen space is used to provide document collaboration.

Savvy developers know how to use the extra screen space to differentiate their apps through a superior UX and justify any price premium.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Scaling up is only part of the difference between a phone and a tablet app. Another, even more important difference is whether the developer writes a version that uses the extra screen space to provide additional features and thus a richer user experience.

Except the vast majority of phone apps on Android are built to make use of the extra screen space on tablets.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So post a few side-by-side screenshots that show tablets apps with UI features (e.g., buttons, feeds) that the phone versions don't include.

I never said tablet versions have extra features. Why shouldn't they have the features on phones? That would be a form of fragmentation. On Android, the apps on phones have equal functionality, as it should be. All I said is that, unlike on iOS, the apps don't scale proportionally to tablets; they actually make use of the extra space by scaling some elements and keeping other elements the same.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I never said tablet versions have extra features. Why shouldn't they have the features on phones? That would be a form of fragmentation. On Android, the apps on phones have equal functionality, as it should be. All I said is that, unlike on iOS, the apps don't scale proportionally to tablets; they actually make use of the extra space by scaling some elements and keeping other elements the same.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The problem you fail to grasp is that tablets have a larger screen and therefore should have more features the the phone version.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

It's not good UI/UX design to waste the extra space by not providing additional features.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The problem you fail to grasp is that tablets have a larger screen and therefore should have more features the the phone version.

Not if the phone version already has all needed features.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Racso14

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
My N10 became our replacement computer after our actual computer died (it was about 9 years old, not too shabby), and one thing I didn't know about beforehand but if I had would have been a 100% dealbreaker for any iOS device, is that iPads cannot connect to a mouse. All I needed was a micro usb adaptor, bought a cheap keyboard and mouse combo, plugged it in and worked. I could have bought a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, but wally world didn't have any that had the number pad nor any under $60 (that I could find). I may be one of the few that use this, but for anyone who wants to use a mouse, then you either have to go with Android, or jailbreak your iDevice.

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
As I've said before, I'm on my third N10. I just got this device on Friday and I'm already having problems. Whereas my previous two would crash every day (and lose all of my data) I would at least be able to power it on by holding the power button for over 10 seconds.

Now, my third device does this: Nexus 10 fails to power up - YouTube

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That looks to me like a charger issue. Are you using the charger that came with the nexus 10? I can tell at the very least that it isn't the same cable that came with it.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay, well not trying to be a pain, but from your video, I can tell it isn't the OEM cable. The way the connector is shaped on the end is different. From the video it appears that the battery is completely drained and never charged .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781