The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surface?

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had my nexus 10 for about 3 months now, and I really love it so far. Recently, my friend who is an admitted Apple fanboy was telling me how much he loves his Ipad 4, and that the apps are so much better than on android. He showed me garage band, badlands, and infinity blade; all apps that aren't on android. This really got me thinking, are the apps really that much better on IOS? Should I have really gotten an iPad? The answer is no for me. I realized that all of the apps that I use are all optimized for tablets, and that the game, badlands is possibly coming to android anyway. I really didn't care about garage band, although a cool app, I probably wouldn't use often. I looked at both the top apps on the iPad and on the Play store, and found that they are relatively similar, with Apple only having a few exclusive tablet apps that are really nice, such as paper.

Now for performance, the Nexus 10 is often claimed to be a laggy mess by others, and while it has its moments, it is a relatively smooth experience all around. While using the iPad, I realized that no device is absolutely lag free. The iPad 3, lagged in the app store quite a lot. The lag wasn't horrible by any means, but there were just a few stutters here and there. I also saw lag in safari, while browsing android central in fact, although safari is still much smoother than chrome. Overall though the iPad isn't that much smoother than the nexus 10, and I'm hoping that the 4.3 update will make the nexus 10 faster and more stable though.

I'm relatively happy with my nexus 10 purchase, and I don't regret choosing it over the iPad, although that's just me. So I ask you readers, would you have rather gotten an iPad or surface?

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had my N10 for a couple months now, and I'm completely satisfied. For me, though, it was a no brainer. I am already committed to the Google ecosystem, and I'm a crackflasher on my phones. (although I still haven't even rooted my N10)

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have all three, but only really use the Nexus. Not out of fanboyism, it's just the device that looks, acts, and has what I want.

Struman160

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I just exchanged my Asus Infinity for a N10. Huge difference. The Infinity was a dog. Had all the bells and whistels but was laggy and slow at times. My N10 is blazing fast. Playing Vice City on my Infinity was frustrating. It should have run like butter but I had to lower settings to get playable FPS. The N10 runs max settings without a hitch. Just as Smooth as my Gaming PC used to run it. Netflix loads much faster and I have not seen a buffering circle yet. Got those alot with Infinity. Other than the attaching keyboard and external SD slot, Infinity has nothing on my N10. Very happy so far

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
no regrets here. Any fan boy can tell you the Apps/games/music/etc are better on their system. The reality is you find apps on one that never appear on the other, widgets for one that never appear on the other ETC.

I did the research before I bought and made my decision based on my needs, not what any fanboy told me my needs were supposed to be. That is the KEY to being happy with ANY device.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Never, ever. Especially not an iPad. And honestly the apps aren't better on iOS, both app stores are pretty much the same overall there's just a few apps that some people will swear by that are in one store but not the other but those are just anecdotes.

Posted via Android Central App

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got an N4. I was considering an N10 to replace my iPad 1 but probably will hold out for the N11 or whatever it's called. At this stage of the Android-vs.-iOS war, I don't see a reason to pay a hefty premium for an iPad. Yes, the battery life is better, but I don't need a tablet for eight or 10 hours straight. I use a tablet for a few hours in the evening, so two or three evenings between charges is fine.

As for apps, when I got the iPad, I thought, as many people did: "Wow! How cool is it to have that many apps for everything?" But after the first year or so, I uninstalled most of those apps because I realized I was using only a dozen or so on a regular basis. The vast majority of my time was spent with the browser, email, YouTube and Pandora apps, as well as one for my ham radio hobby. So for me, an OS's app selection is almost a non-factor when it comes to the purchasing decision, though not to the point that I would consider an orphan such as Surface.

Instead, I'm more focused on specs, particularly the RAM. My iPad 1 still has great battery life, a pristine screen and no dents. But it lacks the RAM to be able to use more than one tab in Chrome or Safari and frequently crashes with just one going. That's part of the reason why I'm holding out for the N11: hopefully to get a RAM bump that will buy it another year or two of useful life.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had a nexus 10 for about 6 months now and I still love it! I plan on keeping it until it craps out on me ( which would be a first. I usually trade or sell all my tablets within the first few months). no regrets here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my N10 for 4 months now. It was nice customizing at the beginning but that got old. When Real Racing 3 was launched, I couldn't wait to download and play it. I was sooooo disappointed. Graphics and frame rate doesn't even come close to the latest iPad or iPhone. Even after the last update, it still doesn't compare. I guess the devs haven't designed it to take advantage of the high resolution of the N10. Can the hardware even support the max resolution at a smooth frame rate? RR3 is better on my S4.

Allen Salyer

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Love mine. Use it all day in my Simi truck for music then play games, stream, surf couple hours at night still have 15 20 percent batt. I am totally in the Google system with phone's and 2 n7s for kids . so I don't know if I am missing out or not on that but I do know there are plenty of apps and games for me and mine.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
They are comparing the iPad to all other platforms and manufacturers? lol I thought those numbers would be a lot closer. Those numbers will change when the retina iPad mini and iOS 7 is released. What Android needs are more apps designed for tablets like Apple has done. Use the extra screen realestate for additional features that the phones can't support. That definitely would improve my N10 experience.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
They are comparing the iPad to all other platforms and manufacturers? lol I thought those numbers would be a lot closer. Those numbers will change when the retina iPad mini and iOS 7 is released. What Android needs are more apps designed for tablets like Apple has done. Use the extra screen realestate for additional features that the phones can't support. That definitely would improve my N10 experience.

Haha no they don't. Android is designed so that it doesn't need tablet-optimized apps with a few exceptions of course.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Haha no they don't. Android is designed so that it doesn't need tablet-optimized apps with a few exceptions of course.

Really? So what your saying is, it's good enough to have the same exact experience on an Android tablet that you get with an Android phone but on a larger display? No wonder Android devs don't give a crap about making a better experience for tablets. All Android is doing is either making things bigger or spreading the app content to fit the display and not actually adding functionality/options. IMO, that sucks. :rolleyes:

Why don't they utilize the extra realestate that tablets have to improve the apps specifically for tablets?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Really? So what your saying is, it's good enough to have the same exact experience on an Android tablet that you get with an Android phone but on a larger display? No wonder Android devs don't give a crap about making a better experience for tablets. All Android is doing is either making things bigger or spreading the app content to fit the display and not actually adding functionality/options. IMO, that sucks. :rolleyes:

Why don't they utilize the extra realestate that tablets have to improve the apps specifically for tablets?

You are generalizing.

There is no need for a "tablet specific" app in Android. The API allows the app to be aware of the type of device and adjust the display around accordingly. That can include increasing the resolution, adding sections, putting more text in buttons, moving controls around, anything the developer wants to do. Has nothing to do with Android and everything to do with the developer. If you need that illustrated, then load the Android IMDB app on multiple types of devices and observe what correct programming does with a single app.

Are there many crappy apps out there? Yes. And with a marketplace as huge as Play, you will find just about everything across the spectrum for quality. Same goes for the Apple App store.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, I meant to refer to the devs when I mentioned a better tablet experience. Maybe it's just the apps I'm using on my N10. They seem to be the same on my S4.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, I meant to refer to the devs when I mentioned a better tablet experience. Maybe it's just the apps I'm using on my N10. They seem to be the same on my S4.

I have some crappy apps that don't even scale at all, much less reformat. But others are much better. Although I will point to developers as being the main cause, I do fault Google some for not providing some better search options in Play. World's greatest search company, with the most used tablet and phone OS and largest app store, yet we are not allowed to search and filter by cost, date updated, release date, installations, size, device, total score, recent score, installations, etc. It is a huge shame. It is as if they don't want us to be able to find what we want in over a million apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800