Nexus 10 vs iPad 4 for Grandmother

myusername

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
My grandmother's 90th birthday is coming up and I am looking to replace her aging, virus infested, desktop with a new tablet. I'm debating between the Nexus 10 and the iPad 4 Retina. The price is about the same - $399 for the Nexus and $419 for an Apple refurb.

I'm an Android guy. I had the original T-Mobile G1 on day one. I had the Xoom on day one. I currently have a Galaxy S3, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, and the new Nexus 7 on order. I would never own an Apple product. But, I'm leaning towards giving Apple some of my cash for this purchase.

98% of what she will do is email, browse the web, Facebook, Skype, and look at YouTube videos so apps are not really an issue. I just think that the iPad may be an easier user experience for her with less chances of messing something up or getting confused. I also think it will be easier for her to get help from friends / neighbors on an iPad versus the Nexus 10 (none of the family lives in the same state).

Any different opinion out there?

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, an iPad may be easier for her to use (and I'm an android person), but if she can use a computer, I don't see any reason not to just get her a Nexus 10. Better display, faster than an iPad, and cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would swear someone asked a similar question a few months back, though their grandma/ parent was in their 70s IIRC. You may want to search the forums as there could be input in that thread you would find useful.

1) everyone is different, you are the only one here that KNOWS your grandma so you are the only one here who can determine if the advice given applies to her

2) I do not own an iPad but my Parents and other friends do.

3) Since grandma's PC is so virus ridden I suggest IF you get an Android you disable 3rd party App sources and do not load flash.

4) if grandma already has an Android or iOS phone then it makes sense to keep her on the platform she is familiar with.

5) who is going to support her on her transition to this device? when My folks chose an iPad, it was the right choice for them, but I made it clear to them that I would be unable to support them on the device as I was unfamilar with it. They had a myriad of frinds with ipads that they could turn to for support.

6)WIll you be fixing Grandma's PC? At one point I know iPads neede to be connected to a PC I admit i don't know if that is still true. Eitehr way if she starts taking pictures and video she will need a way to get thsoe off the device and stored elsewhere.

7) ease of use is honestly the same IMO. learning one is no different than the other. Both devices have "settings" that can be screwed around with by those that don't know anybetter.. There are more Accessories or the ipad than the Nexus.

8) you may want to consider a Note. at 90 years old grandma is of the letter writing generation and having the stylus may be something she is comfrotable with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay