while waiting for the Nexus 10 refresh I visited Apple and Microsoft Stores

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
While messing around with the Microsoft Surface-1.5 lbs with 32GB storage, USB port and micro SD slot capable of taking a 64GB micro SD card for expanded storage. Then checking out the iPad 4 which weighs roughly the same as the Surface there was one major thing that jumped out at me about both operating systems-

The sharing options.

In my photo gallery or highlighting a telephone number when you cluck the share icon on an android device you are greeted with something like 15 different options. On the iPad I think there was only 4. Similarly only a couple options on the Microsoft Surface.

What I took away though was the surface doesn't get nearly enough props for its connectivity options, file system and expandable memory options by tech reviewers. The surface pro weighs in at a half a pound more and at 2 full pounds that half pound difference to me is the difference between comfortably holding a tablet for a while or not.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
While messing around with the Microsoft Surface-1.5 lbs with 32GB storage, USB port and micro SD slot capable of taking a 64GB micro SD card for expanded storage. Then checking out the iPad 4 which weighs roughly the same as the Surface there was one major thing that jumped out at me about both operating systems-

The sharing options.

In my photo gallery or highlighting a telephone number when you cluck the share icon on an android device you are greeted with something like 15 different options. On the iPad I think there was only 4. Similarly only a couple options on the Microsoft Surface.

What I took away though was the surface doesn't get nearly enough props for its connectivity options, file system and expandable memory options by tech reviewers. The surface pro weighs in at a half a pound more and at 2 full pounds that half pound difference to me is the difference between comfortably holding a tablet for a while or not.

Posted via Android Central App

Keep in mind the share options in android are Dependant on what apps are installed. I am not a fan of iOS and I have zero experienced with Windows 8 but to be fair could 8t be the missing options incate APS that were not installed on those devices?

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind the share options in android are Dependant on what apps are installed. I am not a fan of iOS and I have zero experienced with Windows 8 but to be fair could 8t be the missing options incate APS that were not installed on those devices?

I thought the same thing so I went back in to the Apple store and asked one of the blue shirted helpers. They told me that the options that were there were the only ones available and that you would have to go to the Dropbox app to share from there, it wouldn't appear as an option from the share button.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
IOS sharing options are terrible. With a few exceptions, if you want to share with a particular app, it's either not an option or requires some cumbersome process to make it happen. I have the N7, but I often use my husband's Retina iPad. When it comes to any kind of productivity, I absolutely detest using the ipad. I'm waiting for the 10 2 bc I need the bigger screen. I won't even consider the ipad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The sharing capability is one advantage Android has had for a while. iOS and Windows OS have their own advantages, but this is one area Android does well in.

I know there's a specific name for the feature, but essentially, when you click on an item to "share" from within an app, that app basically sends out a beacon saying "Hey, I got a [insert object type here] to share, who is able to do something with this?"...and any app programmed to handle that type of object is able to answer back and make itself available on the sharing menu. In other words, the various apps that can be made available for sharing don't have to be hard-coded into the app itself, but rather is able to query the device for other apps that are able to accept the content. Much better functionality in this regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007