N10 Kit Kat Impressions

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It is not really missing, it is just the way it is presented to the user. Memory is complex- there is application caching, application suspension, disk caching, OS reserved, and then memory tied up by active apps, memory that is shared between apps (libraries and such), and data areas, and memory that is swapped (virtual memory- something I don't think Android does). There is no single one metric with measuring memory that really makes sense.

Well how much does yours say. Mine I added up to get my total. This is with android 4.4, factory reset and deleted all the widgets. Im really worried something is broke here. Im loosing sleep over it. 20131203_182720.jpg

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
At the moment, mine says 628MB used and 470MB free. You should stop worrying about it :)

So it's confirmed that its a Nexus 10 kit kat thing. Thank you so much. I was positive my tablet was broken and was really upset. They must have reserved even more because of the exynos 5 instability. You can tell it was a bad processor because Samsung quickly abandoned it for its octo core and Google announced once they run out of stock on the nexus 10s they wont restock.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
So it's confirmed that its a Nexus 10 kit kat thing. Thank you so much. I was positive my tablet was broken and was really upset. They must have reserved even more because of the exynos 5 instability. You can tell it was a bad processor because Samsung quickly abandoned it for its octo core and Google announced once they run out of stock on the nexus 10s they wont restock.

I don't believe they "abandoned" it, they just moved on to higher number of cores because that is what marketing dictated (and what consumers THINK they need, when in reality, it gives almost no advantage on a phone or tablet). And I don't think the apparent reduction in total memory has anything to do with the N10 or the CPU, it is just a change in the way Android reports memory. Remember how I was saying that it is complex and there are a million ways to display what is going on and no single metric is going to make much sense? This would be what I mean.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping for that fix real soon. I just got my wife an N10. I had to do each upgrade separately--from 4.2 to 4.2.2 to 4.3 to 4.4. It's set for autosync but she only got one bookmark out of many. Mine seems to have less available battery reserve than it did before and I'm using battery doctor to optimize. I'm see many different software upgrade releases have bugs so it's not just Google. I don't understand why they don't do longer beta testing before releases.

Paul Long1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My N10 has been on 4.4.2 For about 2 weeks. At least every other day I try to wake it from sleep and find it unresponsive. I have to hold on button for 10 seconds and it restarts. Is this a common/known problem? Never happened on last version.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech