New to Nexus10

Scampa

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Indeed this is my first step into Android, I have used a lot of Apple devices but fed up of paying a premium for the name :(

Anyway I got a Nexus 10 being delivered in the next 2 days, was just after some help for a complete new Android user
This will just be a general tab for no one specific purpose, any initial hints tips links advice when starting from scratch?
Had a quick look at some you tube vids the xbox controller connection to the tablet looks fun!!
Also what are the benefits to rooting, would i need to do this to use a flash drive to expand the memory?
Thanks

Scampa

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply kinda similar to jailbreak I guess
There seems to be various methods of rooting, how do I find which one is for me?
One BIG pain with Apple is every time I updated the FW I lost all the jailbreak, appz etc, will rooting the nexus suffer the same problem?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
would i need to do this to use a flash drive to expand the memory?

It is impossible to expand the 2GB of memory. It is also impossible to "expand" the 16 or 32GB of storage. You can use flash drives for additional storage, but using them without rooting is a challenge and it is not like you would want to use it all the time with a cable and dongle hanging off of it. There is a non-free app that allows limited READ ONLY use of USB mass storage devices with the appropriate cable, without rooting, however. This would be good for grabbing photos or watching video files.

As a new Android user, I would certainly hold off on rooting until you find you have a need to do so. And on a Nexus device, there is far less "need" to do so, because there is no crapware and no annoying vendor interface modifications. Although it is "cool" and all (and there are certainly some nice advantages), there is also the fact that you will typically void your warranty, you can no longer get OTA updates, it can be complex, it can compromise the security of your system if you are not careful, several types of DRM apps will no longer work or could stop working, and there is a risk of "bricking" or pseudo-bricking the device. It is not all positive.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I use a blue tooth controller for games. Something definitely worth getting and a lot of games support it. You cant expand the memory because there is no sd card slot on the tablet. Some android tablets have them but this one does not. Rooting opens up the tablet to do more things. I would play around with it first and then decide if you want to go that way.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I got a micro usb to usb adapter off Amazon... It's not a cable and it works well. I then bought a mini 64gb hp flash drive off Amazon as well. Using the app nexus media importer which works on both the nexus 7 and nexus 10 I watch movies and tv shows.... I leave the internal memory for games

Also I recently downloaded the dc comics app and reading comics on the nexus 10 is really cool.

Also must have media player is mx player... Plays everything I've thrown at it.

Thumb keyboard is a great app too.. worth the buy.

Moga controllers are awesome and the app makes it easy to pair them to the tablet. I plug my tablet into the tv using a micro hdmi to hdmi and man that's fun

I'm looking into buying the dock for it but that's like 85 on Amazon... Looks good tho

Another good app is astro file manager. I always install that on all my android devices

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
because there is no sd card slot on the tablet. Some android tablets have them but this one does not.

You can't ever extend memory in tablets and phones. The RAM is soldered onto the phone and there are no DIM slots. I do wish it had an SD slot to increase storage capacity, but you just won't find that on any Google branded devices. They want to try and force people to believe that the "cloud" can meet everyone's needs (which it cannot). Had they offered a 48GB or 64GB storage model, I would have bought it.

Scampa

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok starting to get a good feel for it, however one problem I seem to have is playing files from USB, I have installed the Nexus media importer I also have MX player and Vplayer I click play and it wont play the file, however if I copy to Nexus it will play fine?

Last edited:

Scampa

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
That's what I'm using :( but there not playing on the fly from the USB? However if I copy file to Nexus and play from there it's fine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21