Connecting the Nexus 10 to a hard drive

jerthorne

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know of there's another thread for this but I have a portable hard drive and an OTG cord to watch the media on the hard drive yet my tablet Nexus 10 won't connect. I use the Nexus media importer from the app store. I am going to try ES File Explorer and see what happens. Any ideas on what else I could try?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Is the HD an NTFS or FAT32 format? I don't have a Nexus10 but my Nexus7 can't read NTFS drives.

It could be this, but also how does your portable HD get power? If it normally is powered via USB when connected to a computer, that could be a problem, as I don't believe the N10 using the OTG cable supplies full power to devices connected to it, so it may need an external power source? Again, I don't know for sure, just throwing that out there.

Formatting could also be an issue. Most folks use OTA with smaller devices, such as USB flash drives, which are usually formatted as FAT. A larger drive formatted for Windows (NTFS) will probably not be recognized, as zedora mentioned.

jerthorne

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I had it formatted on a Mac with Extended Journal which the Nexus couldn't read. I'm now trying MS-DOS (Fat) and exFat. One of those has to work but from what I've read exFat is an updated version with better fragmenting.