New-ish Nexus 10 Micro-USB cable only 4 pins?

SlipStreams7

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just signed up to ask about something weird I noticed with my micro usb cable that I received with my Nexus 10 (purchased a few weeks ago).

On the micro side of the usb cable there are usually 5 tiny pins like this: | | | | |

In the micro end of my usb cable, however, there are only 4 pins that are arranged like this (X means no pin at all): | X | | |
So the second pin from the left is missing. I looked deep into this connector with a high powered light and scope....the pin is not there at all. Is this correct?

I just want to make sure I didn't get some bizarre defective 4 pin cable that somehow is able to charge the tablet.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just signed up to ask about something weird I noticed with my micro usb cable that I received with my Nexus 10 (purchased a few weeks ago).

On the micro side of the usb cable there are usually 5 tiny pins like this: | | | | |

In the micro end of my usb cable, however, there are only 4 pins that are arranged like this (X means no pin at all): | X | | |
So the second pin from the left is missing. I looked deep into this connector with a high powered light and scope....the pin is not there at all. Is this correct?

I just want to make sure I didn't get some bizarre defective 4 pin cable that somehow is able to charge the tablet.

I'm assuming that the "ID" pin that missing, and it *probably* won't affect anything. That position is generally used to differentiate host vs. device connection
USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Assuming the power, ground, and data pins are all intact, it should work normally. I don't have my Nexus 10 cable to compare to at the moment to see if mine has that pin or not.

SlipStreams7

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Not to keep bumping a thread, but could someone look into the microusb side of their charging cable and let me know if you have all the pins or if yours is like mine?

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I found the same thing on mine... Been hesitant to ever use a different cable to charge it (or use IT to charge another Micro-USB device). I'd like to know what the scoop here is too.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Given that the Nexus 10 can do USB OTG, it almost makes sense that the "ID" PIN would not be needed, as its USB port can act as a host or device.

I found the same thing on mine... Been hesitant to ever use a different cable to charge it (or use IT to charge another Micro-USB device). I'd like to know what the scoop here is too.

I've charged my N10 with plenty of other chargers, though I obviously try to make sure they output at least 1A.