Using FoxFi For Bluetooth Tethering

google47

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a Nexus 10 that I currently tether to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus via FoxFi wifi hotspot. I'm going to be getting an S5 this week and I understand that once I switch my phone to a KitKat phone, I will no longer be able to tether wifi with FoxFi. In preparation for this, I started practicing tethering my Galaxy Nexus to my Nexus 10 through Bluetooth and USB connections, and for the life of me I can't get either of them to work.

Does anyone have any insight or feedback on how to get these connections to work? It seems that most of the instructions on the FoxFi website are for tethering from phone to a laptop as opposed to a tablet.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I have used it before but it took a couple of tries. It works decent for the internet but when it comes to using the play store and any apps that require internet it might not work.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested to hear about Bluetooth tethering as well. I used to have a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx and FoxFi wifi tethering worked great on it. Now using a Moto X and since I've gotten this phone running on KitKat, I understand that wifi tethering has been disabled (I'm on VZW with unlimited data plan). Supposedly Bluetooth tethering is supposed to still work with FoxFi, but I've never been able to obtain a successful connection.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I also have the same plan as you. I will try it tonight and if foxfi doesn't work there are other Bluetooth apps to use that I will look into. I have the droid maxx which is similar to the moto x.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Can someone tell me what Bluetooth tethering is?

An easy example would be to use your phone as a host data source for say your wifi only tablet. An app like foxfi is used to bluetooth the data to another device over bluetooth.
On Verizon you can now use your hotspot if you do not have unlimited data without incurring a monthly charge. The data charges simply go against your allowed data plan.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

google47

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
An easy example would be to use your phone as a host data source for say your wifi only tablet. An app like foxfi is used to bluetooth the data to another device over bluetooth.
On Verizon you can now use your hotspot if you do not have unlimited data without incurring a monthly charge. The data charges simply go against your allowed data plan.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

My main issue is that I still have unlimited data, and with the S5 I'd be upgrading to Kit Kat...so doesn't that disable FoxFi's wifi capability? If that's the case, do you know how else I can get my S5 to tether data to my Nexus 10?

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Foxfi just updated there app to run on Verizon Samsung phones with KitKat.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
It says only for Samsung running KitKat not Motorola. I tried my droid maxx and nothing but good to see they got it running on a KitKat device. Hopefully a future update changes that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton