Is the nexus 10 get Android L update?

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the nexus 10 will get this update when they do release it? I've seen it saying nexus 5,7 and maybe 4. Any input would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
No one has released any information yet regarding this, so we don't know for sure. The Nexus 10 was released in November of 2012, so it is possible that it may get the EOL soon. However, Google has not made their intentions public yet, so we may get lucky and see this update still.
I'm hoping for the latter.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the nexus 10 will get this update when they do release it? I've seen it saying nexus 5,7 and maybe 4. Any input would be great.

Of course.
The N10 is the latest model and has specs that will match pretty much match or keep up with any tablet out there right now.

Now if you were talking about the previous "pseudo Nexus 10" model, the Xoom, that ended with Android 4.1.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Of course.
The N10 is the latest model and has specs that will match pretty much match or keep up with any tablet out there right now.

Now if you were talking about the previous "pseudo Nexus 10" model, the Xoom, that ended with Android 4.1.

Don't be so sure about that. The Xoom was gone because the Tegra 2 platform never got much momentum and Google didn't get much value out of supporting it. Most current high end tablets use a Qualcom SOC, while the nexus 10 is sporting a exynos 5250 I believe.

They could drop it as a dev platform since very little hardware has the SOC. I would love to see continued support though.

I have said before I expect the N10 to be around till we have a proper 64 bit platform for tablets. With Android L being 64 bit I can't see a better time for it to get EOL'd. Hardware wise the N10 has been out long enough it is certainly due for a refresh.

Posted via Android Central App

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I know the moto x and moto g was getting it so I would think this would also.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Don't be so sure about that. The Xoom was gone because the Tegra 2 platform never got much momentum and Google didn't get much value out of supporting it. Most current high end tablets use a Qualcom SOC, while the nexus 10 is sporting a exynos 5250 I believe.

They could drop it as a dev platform since very little hardware has the SOC. I would love to see continued support though.

Well, you do have some good points. I guess I shouldn't have stated it so "certainly". But the Exynos chips are widely used by Samsung, so I can't see that being a key reason to abandon the N10 (unless it is just a particularly strange Exynos model, which it doesn't appear to be based on the info I have read). The Xoom had only 1GB of fairly slow memory, which I think might have been one major reason it never got official updates past 4.1 (but Google never did say why).

Let's just hope Google continues to support it longer. It certainly deserves to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exynos

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe the N10 will get L but that will be it for it. The N10 is a great tablet but was not "Nexus Priced" so it never really sold like the N7 or N4/N5. I bought it because I wanted a 10 inch tablet and at that time could not see spending the same as the N10 on something that was not going to get timely updates & had an inferior screen for the same price.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I just read something like that also that it will be. That's great news.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that people are surprised that the 10 is actually getting the L update. Really?? Its a Nexus device, its the current device from Google in its category why are we surprised that its getting update.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that people are surprised that the 10 is actually getting the L update. Really?? Its a Nexus device, its the current device from Google in its category why are we surprised that its getting update.

I'm not :) Kinda what I was saying in my first posting.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Until Google releases a new tab in this format it really isn't a suprise. I am not suprised at all with the preview. But I also wouldn't be surprised if a new N10 was released soon with a 64 bit CPU to go along with the official release of whatever Android L will be.

The exynos in the N10 is a odd ball, pretty much every other device uses the octa core version.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The exynos in the N10 is a odd ball, pretty much every other device uses the octa core version.

Well, the number of cores, alone, doesn't affect the architecture much at all from an OS or app perspective. It is a Cortex A15 like every other Exynos that as come after it as of this writing. So it is hardly "odd". It didn't require any special coding. Even the graphics chip (Mali-T604) is not that unusual and should be forward compatible with the newer chips.

And as an aside- the newer chips are 4+4 cores, not 8 cores (huge difference, 4 are full speed, 4 are low speed, they are not all used at once). And 4 cores of the same type on a tablet vs. 2 won't usually show much difference from a user real-world-performance perspective. For example, the Exynos 5410 might actually seem slightly SLOWER to the user than the 5250 in the N10 because it has a lower clock speed (in reality, it will probably seem to be the same speed).

The newer chips will use less power, for sure, since they are all 28nm instead of 32nm and also include those lower power A7 cores and improvements in the GPU.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Everything samsung puts out stays it as octa-core. I know it is 4+4 which is Arms big+little design. I can't think of another device that has the 5250 or any samsung chip other then the exynos octa SOC's. Just some samsung devices that have the octa core version. We really don't need to bring in the discussion about number of cores.

Simply ask yourself this, how many devices have Kriat SOC's compared to Exynos.

My point was more that I would expect a official release of Android L when we finally see a new platform using arms A53 and A57 64bit cores in a big+little design.

When Google does discontinue upgrades for the current N10 it won't be because the hardware won't support it. It will be as because of a shift in focus to a more relevant dev platform. I bet they could load 4.4 on the xoom if they wanted to. Just take s look at some of the low end tablets and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Everything samsung puts out stays it as octa-core. I know it is 4+4 which is Arms big+little design. I can't think of another device that has the 5250 or any samsung chip other then the exynos octa SOC's. Just some samsung devices that have the octa core version. We really don't need to bring in the discussion about number of cores.

That is why I labeled it as an aside, not particularly for you, just anyone who might misinterpret what you meant. It is true that not many devices used the 5250 or even the one before/after it.... but as long as it is pretty similar, it wouldn't be technically difficult to support it, that is all I meant.

My point was more that I would expect a official release of Android L when we finally see a new platform using arms A53 and A57 64bit cores in a big+little design.

When Google does discontinue upgrades for the current N10 it won't be because the hardware won't support it. It will be as because of a shift in focus to a more relevant dev platform. I bet they could load 4.4 on the xoom if they wanted to. Just take s look at some of the low end tablets and you will see what I mean.

Good point. It is not necessarily that Google can't easily support the N10 later on, just one of will they bother because they moved their focus. I do think it should be possible to support 4.4 on the Xoom, although it is a bit slow (both CPU/GPU and RAM), plus only 1GB of RAM is starting to become very limiting now. I would have thought it could easily support 4.2 (and did with third party support) but wasn't, so you have to be right that it is not a technological decision, just more of a political one.

Would it be the right decision to not support it longer, though? Perhaps so, perhaps not. I am more inclined to buy devices that I believe will have longer support. But the Nexus line has never been a mainline seller or money-maker for Google. Money from the device itself is not their motivation. Showing off the platform and encouraging development is.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly why I think it the N10 will be upgraded to a 64 bit SOC. To provide a dev platform for 64 bit android. The problem is as are those SOC'S avaliable.

Until then I think our current N10 will continue to server it's purpose. The N10 is also getting long in the tooth now. We are approaching 2 years old for those of us that bought it when it was released.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly why I think it the N10 will be upgraded to a 64 bit SOC. To provide a dev platform for 64 bit android. The problem is as are those SOC'S avaliable.

Yeah, but 64 bit for phones and tablets and TV's is still a major "yawn". Very little to gain, overall, and certainly not much need for more than 4GB of address space anytime soon. Of course it will come, anyway.

Until then I think our current N10 will continue to server it's purpose. The N10 is also getting long in the tooth now. We are approaching 2 years old for those of us that bought it when it was released.

Yeah, but someone that bought it halfway might have only had it a year and many who bought it did not do so as developers (I certainly am not). I still think keeping it updated for at least 3 years from release and 1 year from discontinuance is reasonable for something so expensive (and with such originally high-end specs). But, it is not up to me :(

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. For 64 bit to be useful several things need to change. Mostly the tab has to be a multitasking maniac. Not the half baked attempt most mobile platforms do.

But that doesn't change that is the way things are going.

As far as updates go. Very few devices have the level of support Android nexus devices already get. In this area where the tech is changing very quickly a 3 year support cycle is stretching it. Most devices are lucky to get 2 years of updates. The Moto Xoom got updates for just over 1 year. The Xoom WiFi actually cost me more then the 32GB N10 as well so.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The Moto Xoom got updates for just over 1 year. The Xoom WiFi actually cost me more then the 32GB N10 as well so.

Yeah, I was very disappointed with the short support span for the Xoom, it made me almost not buy another Nexus tablet. But I decided to take a chance, anyway. I don't think I paid more for the Xoom WiFi than I did the 32GB N10... I tend to remember them being the same price- $500? (I bought both when first released).

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Xoom at Staples. For some reason I tend to remember it being 599. Did a few searches and found it had a price drop in July 2011 from 599 to 499. So that explains the difference. I got my xoom the first month it was released.

Last edited: