I am having trouble connecting my Nexus 10 (Andriod 5.1.1) tablet to my Dell Laptop running Win 8.1, can I get some help please?

A

AC Question

trouble connecting Nexus 10 (Andriod 5.1.1) tablet to Dell Laptop running Win 8.1

When I try to connect the tablet to the laptop using the usb port/s it keeps makes the characteristic ping sound...connecting and disconecting all the time. Also, the nexus device does not show up as a folder.

I have tried going to "Device Mgr" --> Portable Devices --> uninstalling "Nexus 10" that shows up under there. Restarting computer after that..seems to not make a difference. Keeps giving me the pinging sound, and not opening the device folder.

Appreciate your help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: trouble connecting Nexus 10 (Andriod 5.1.1) tablet to Dell Laptop running Win 8.1

Welcome to Android Central! If it sounds like it's connecting and disconnecting frequently, it might be a loose connection. Try a different USB cable, as well as different USB ports on the computer. If that doesn't work, then it could be a problem with the tablet's microUSB port.

Ajay Zutshi

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: trouble connecting Nexus 10 (Andriod 5.1.1) tablet to Dell Laptop running Win 8.1

B. Diddy: thx for your help... It doesn't seem to be a cable issue; I have tried a couple of different ones. Also, I have noticed that this constant connect/disconnect (and not being able to see the nexus folder on the computer) seems to happen if I connect the nexus 10 to the laptop *when the nexus (and the laptop) are ALREADY on*. It does *not* happen, i.e. I can see the nexus folder and transfer files to/from it, if I connect the device to the laptop and then RESTART the nexus. Very weird. Sounds like a driver issue to me but I am not an expert... Any suggestions? Thx.

Ajay Zutshi

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

B.Diddy: Thx for the continued help. I connected the Nexus 10 w/ the same cables (as used earlier) to a Win 7 PC. Can read Nexus folders without any problem. Seems to further confirm that it is not cable issue (or for that matter an issue w/ the Nexus?). Prob. a driver issue on Win 8.1, but not sure.

Should I still try wiping the Cache partition on the Nexus? Never done that before...does it wipe out user data-files and or apps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Wiping the cache doesn't affect any personal data, so it's never harmful. But if it works on a Windows 7 PC, then it's probably not an issue with the device. Did you try different USB ports on the Dell?

Ajay Zutshi

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

I have been playing with the Nexus 10 connection to the Dell Laptop Win 8.1 today. That seems a little more "stable" today, i.e. it wasn't connecting/disconnecting every few seconds...the stable connection seemed to last *several minutes* before it disconnected. (and I have made no changes to the Nexus or the Dell).

Interesting that you bring up diff USB ports on the Dell...today it seemed that the connection to one of the USB ports on the Dell was a lot more stable than if I connected to the other USB port, even though neither one was perfect.

Now I am wondering IF there is (indeed) a problem with the cables (unlikely but still possible, because I had tried more than one cable yesterday), OR with the micro USB port on the tablet (as you had suggested early on). I'll spend some time tomorrow connecting the Nexus 10 to the Win 7 PC for a *much longer period* and see if the connection dies on me at all.

[As an aside:
I noticed today that, when the Nexus 10 is connected to the Dell laptop, normally, for several minutes, and then disconnects...I can, somehow, re-establish the connection by going to "USB computer Connection" on the Nexus, and ***de-selecting & then re-selecting the "MTP" box***. That seems to reestablish the connection, and that seems to be stable for several minutes. I guess what is confusing me about this whole thing is that if it were indeed a cable problem or micro USB port issue on the Nexus, then why would "deselecting & selecting a "MTP" box on the Nexus screen temporarily fix the problem?

Also, if it were a related to a physical connection problem (i.e loose connection etc) I would expect the connection to be somewhat sensitive to my moving the cable. I have tried moving the cable, while connected to both the Nexus and the Laptop, near both the USB and the microUSB ends...and that does *not* seem to affect the connection between the Nexus and the laptop. In other words, I can't find (so far) any relationship between the physical movement of the cable and/or the USB/microUSB ends - and the dropping of the connection.]

In any case, I will do a more extensive test of the connection between the Nexus and the Win 7 PC to rule out the microUSB and cables issue completely...then get back. Thx.

Ajay Zutshi

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

B. Diddy: Just spend a couple of days double-checking everything. I can confirm the following:

1. The Nexus 10 (along the USB cables in question) work fine on the Win 7 desktop.
2. The Nexus 10 (along the USB cables in question) ALSO work fine on *another* Win 8.1 Laptop (a Toshiba)
3. The Nexus 10 (along the USB cables in question) *continue* to have the connect/disconnect problem w/ the DELL Win 8.1 laptop.
However, as I had mentioned earlier, I can stop the problem by RESTARTING the Nexus 10 **while it is connected to the Dell laptop**. That, somehow stabilizes the connection...not sure why!!

From everything I have mentioned above it seems safe to say it is a software problem, not a physical connection problem.

I did check the versions of the 6 driver files (that are under Device Mgr --> Portable Devices --> Nexus 10 --> Properties --> Drivers --> Driver Details) that show up in the Toshiba Laptop (which has no problem) and the Dell laptop (that has the problem). They both had the same exact version numbers for the respective files.

Not knowing what to do next...I will download the drivers from the link you have provided and see what happens! I'll get back to you...thx!

Ajay Zutshi

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

Need some help from you! I did download the USB driver exe file from Samsung's link that you ahd posted; I ran the exe...but I am not sure it "installed" anything...

It seems to have created a folder: C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG\USB Drivers and put a lot of stuff in there.
Is there another step I am supposed to take? How do I check if any drivers have been installed / replaced? Thx!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you double-click on that EXE file that downloaded, it should run an InstallWizard, with a message that reads, "The MSS InstallWizard will install 'SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones V 1.5.45.0' on your computer." Do you not see that? That's what comes up when I download that EXE file and open it.

I certainly agree with you that it's a software issue, specifically with the Dell laptop. Maybe you could try booting the laptop (not the tablet) into Safe Mode, in case some program is interfering: Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) - Windows Help. However, I don't know if Safe Mode will prevent the tablet's USB driver from working either.

Ajay Zutshi

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

1. I did "install" the drivers using the exe file...but all it did was put them in a folder called: C: Program Files SAMSUNG USB Drivers.
I figured one had to then update the Nexus device driver manually by going to "Device Manager" and updating the driver for Nexus 10. However, doing so has not made any difference to the connect / disconnect problem.

2. I found a website: www dot theandroidsoul dot com nexus-7-2013-drivers-installation-guide-43183 ( I am not allowed to post actual links here yet) which talks about installing: the ADB driver and the Bootloader / Fastboot driver for Nexus 7. Do you think I might need to do something similar for the Nexus 10??

3. I will also try restarting Windows in safe mode, and see how the tablet connection behaves. Will get back to you...

Thx!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if the Nexus ADB USB driver would be helpful, but it doesn't hurt to install it on your computer and try.