Fanboyism ?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
so.. when the galaxy nexus came out, everyone ignored samsungs track record for bad reception and gps. along with everyone ignoring the other issues like no gorilla glass etc.

seems all anyone cared about was that there phone was a nexus, not whether or not that was a good thing.. almost like a nerd badge of some sort.

so now with the LG nexus coming out I ask myself..

will the fanboys change their tune all of a sudden about non removable batteries? I remember a couple of the die hards also saying they would never get a phone without a removable battery.. I think we will see them flip flop their stance.

secondly.. heard lots of people in the verizon side of the chat make fun of LG's phones on verizon and how poor their build quality was and reception.. I'm guessing like what happen with the samsung before this, they will ignore this.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For people who hold hardware as the most important quality in a phone, this is true. If you look at it from a software standpoint, a Nexus (world/GSM version at least) always delivers what Nexus stands for: the latest version of unadulterated Android, and access to the newest apps (Google Talk video chat on GB, Chrome for ICS, etc.).

Sent from my Nexus 7

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
As someone who bought the VZW GNEX, even though I don't care for Samsung, and would never buy a non-nexus Samsung device, it's a trade off. I don't think I'd do it again, and I will pass on the LG one. (Assuming it's even offered on VZW)

I did get the basics that I wanted out of this phone, but I've never been excited to have it, and I've never really spoken well of it to anyone. It is merely sufficient, and was the best choice available. For a "flagship" (yes, I know the AC folks dislike the term) I think it's certainly not the impression one would want to give people.

At least the Gnex has build quality that most people wouldn't complain too much about, and a good track record from the OEM. I've never found LG phones to be the good, poor builds, and the most DOA handsets I've ever seen while selling them. That difference in reputation may hurt sales with a few people, but ultimately, the ones who are most likely to buy a Nexus, are looking only for a Nexus, and will be more inclined to buy it for software purposes, thus ignoring (or putting up with) hardware issues.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Own a Sprint GNex and I won't be purchasing the LG version. Once I heard they were making it I lost all interest. I don't care what features they add. I'll catch the Nexus 5 when it drops.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi my name is Brandon and I have fanboyism....j/k

I will admit HTC fan foe while but doesn't mean did like what the other OEMs were doing it's just a prefer look and feel od HTC products over the rest. I always gave other manufactures a try when looking for a new smartphone. I definitely will be checking out the LG when my contract is up on Verizon. LG Nexus 4 looks like great new smartphones for and can't wait until it's in stores to actually get feel for the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
For me it is about software and price. An unlocked Nexus from the Play Store is a great value and I don't have to worry about all of the bloatware, out of date Android versions, or carrier attempts to lock the boot loader.

If this makes me a fanboy, then go ahead and call me one. Until the OEMs and carriers stop releasing out of date software on new devices and stop abandoning them after about a year, Nexus devices will be a strong contender for me even if it means giving up some other specs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the LG Nexus will not see near the adoption that the Galaxy Nexus did. There are just too many other really good options at this point. Frankly the LG Nexus (as far as what we think we know about it) isn't even a compelling upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus, IMO. Heck if the LG phone is $500 or $600, many people would be better off just buying the current Galaxy Nexus and save the cash.

I personally think a non-removable battery is a bigger issue than not having Gorilla-brand glass, so I wouldn't compare those two features. I wouldn't even call not having Gorilla glass an "issue"; but to each his own. That said, for the majority of people, a non-removable battery will not affect their utilization of the phone in any way, shape or form, so I doubt that will be the LG Nexus' downfall.

Concerns about the Galaxy Nexus build quality, GPS and reception were put to bed pretty quickly once it was released. That probably went a long way to people overcoming their concerns. If LG's Nexus is high quality and has great reception, then we will know it pretty quick as well, and peoples' concerns about that will vanish as well. If it is typical LG poor build quality, we will know that too.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I think the LG Nexus will not see near the adoption that the Galaxy Nexus did. There are just too many other really good options at this point. Frankly the LG Nexus (as far as what we think we know about it) isn't even a compelling upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus, IMO. Heck if the LG phone is $500 or $600, many people would be better off just buying the current Galaxy Nexus and save the cash.

I personally think a non-removable battery is a bigger issue than not having Gorilla-brand glass, so I wouldn't compare those two features. I wouldn't even call not having Gorilla glass an "issue"; but to each his own. That said, for the majority of people, a non-removable battery will not affect their utilization of the phone in any way, shape or form, so I doubt that will be the LG Nexus' downfall.

Concerns about the Galaxy Nexus build quality, GPS and reception were put to bed pretty quickly once it was released. That probably went a long way to people overcoming their concerns. If LG's Nexus is high quality and has great reception, then we will know it pretty quick as well, and peoples' concerns about that will vanish as well. If it is typical LG poor build quality, we will know that too.

News to me. I've been fighting this battle since I got this phone. Tried diff radios, etc. It's a mess compared to HTC or Moto's reception.

w3bMaster101

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
my first samsung smartphone was the Galaxy Nexus, and i made that jump without knowing much about the alleged gps and reception issues. Personally i never experienced any of these. Gorrila glass is just a branded strong glass, and an own solution was used for the nexus, and i'm quite pleased with it... i never used a cover and the screen is immaculate, while the rest of the body does have a couple of minor scratches -- after being dropped more than 10 times on concrete and other hard surfaces i think that speaks highly of the overall build quality also. The only major complain about the nexus, is the very very quiet speaker, a problem not common to any other samsung smartphone that i saw. Also the plastic body doesn't give you the 'premium feel' that you might get with other devices.
Anyway these was a very small trade-off for having vanilla android version and getting all the updates asap...

However when i look at the LG Nexus rumors, i have to say that i would not give my current nexus for that LG.
I told myself last year that 16GB is more than enough for a phone... and i never found myself very close to that limit. But with some games currently on the market ... there are a lot of them with more than 2-3 GB , and i actually have 2 of them . That would leave me with 2GB free for the OS, all the other apps, files, music, videos, etc... - Total fail.
I explained in a different thread why non-removable batter simply wouldn't work for me with this galaxy nexus... I would need at least a 50% increase in battery life so that i can get through the day without a second battery.
Design-wise... i was really expecting something fresh... the proposed designs are way to similar to my old nexus, it just seems to have bigger bottom bezel, and a flashy back which is very off-puting for me.
Aw and we'll also have to settle again for a less than great camera - last year they had the 5MP instead of the 8MP found in the GS2 and now this device would get 8MP ( a shutter which hasn't got great reviews if it's the last 8MP LG ) instead of the top of the line 13MP one that's on the optimus G...

Bottom line, if these rumors turn out to be true, and if this will be the only Nexus phone this year, i'm most definitely not going to switch to one... i'm still hoping to see other OEM with a Nexus device. I'm really hoping to see other OEMs with a nexus device ...

Budius

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
as it's a thread about fanboyzism I would like to address a few things that I've been seen around:

1. that Google are rejecting them by not making a removable battery and becoming Apple: no one is making anyone buy this phone to have Android, or Google Play access or any of the Google Services on your mobile. You want an Android with removable battery? Choose any other Android phone. Want a cheaper Android? Buy a low end Android! Want a bigger Android? Get a Note! Want SD-card? There're several options around.
Android still is as beautiful as ever and no phone, even a Nexus phone will not change that!

2. About people crying over the SD-card: GET OVER IT. There's posts directly from the Google guys stating that they removed the SD-card to avoid the annoyance of handling FAT32 and host systems messing the card. It's a technical decision based on a technical issue. Nobody is trying to lock you out (or in) of anything. And as everything indicates, there won't be any SD-card on any Nexus device ever again.

3. About the rumoured specs and people crying about other stuff. There's a reason it's called *rumoured specs*... it's a RUMOUR!

4. (and last) I do agree that 8gb flash is stupidly low for 2012 standards. But on the other side it wouldn't be the first time that a development / pre-production device is made with a subset of the final device. Why would a company waste money pre-producing 32gb or 64gb devices if it's only for internal test? And then I point back at point number 3.

ps.: before anyone point any finger at me: I had a HTC Hero, Nexus One, Galaxy SII and Advent Vega before. Now I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7. My wife have my old Galaxy SII and a Transformer TF300. I'm an independent developer on the Google Play (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.budius.WiFiShoot&token=xIhsakxo) and I work full time in a mobile agency developing Android apps.... so I'm just as big as an Android fan as most people around here, but please stop crying like lil b***ches ... it's just so annoying!!!

Last edited:

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I am not married to any specific OEM. if you compare the G nex to the nexus 7 it is pretty clear that several OEM can produce an amazing nexus device. I was fortunate to get a g nex that has no signal issues and have never had a problem with the glass not being branded gorilla glass. I love my g nex but yearn for a newer and faster version with a better camera. If the LG nexus comes out with 4G LTE and 32gb i will likely buy it despite the fact it does not have a removable battery. While it is not ideal, you could buy one of those pocket charger things if you are ever getting low and dont have access to a charger. Not having an SD slot is not a big deal provided it has ample on board storage.

Why do nexus phones have to be affordable? I would gladly pay $400+ with contract to have ALL of the best hardware available at the moment. Is it too much to ask for a premium device with the best specs and having it not run some bloated OEM skin of android? With that being said, I simply do not believe that google will not release a LG nexus with more storage and LTE for the US market. If they don't then they are making a huge mistake.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
1. that Google are rejecting them by not making a removable battery and becoming Apple: no one is making anyone buy this phone to have Android, or Google Play access or any of the Google Services on your mobile. You want an Android with removable battery? Choose any other Android phone. Want a cheaper Android? Buy a low end Android! Want a bigger Android? Get a Note! Want SD-card? There're several options around.

Thing is with point number 1, it's a next nexus, the only line that get latest things, and theres lot of people with "nexus only" menatality, because of that and fact that it's stock expirence, so if it's not good for them it's a waste of a year. I think thats the group people you see complaining the most.

Budius

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
theres lot of people with "nexus only" menatality
I understand what you say and I'm almost on that category, (currently got GN and N7) but still it's annoying every single thread that endless line of crying moaning babies that want it their way and keep cursing at a company because they put on their heads on the first place that they must buy from that company... but that's it, my rant is over!

I'm definitely looking forward for the upcoming official announcements!

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Well you see people use argument that is not have removable battery against iPhone, now how those people gonna react when next flagship Android device won't have removable battery either? :p Also even before first leaks i seen people not having good opinion about LG, so this reaction kind of not supprice me. People are free to have opinions and both Google and LG need to put them in to account :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I love that people will complain before the product is out yet still buy the product and continue to complain about said product like they were forced to buy it.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
News to me. I've been fighting this battle since I got this phone. Tried diff radios, etc. It's a mess compared to HTC or Moto's reception.

You just said above that you have the VZW Nexus. Take it up with VZW, they are the ones that require CDMA radios. The GSM Nexus has no major reception problems and the GPS is rock solid.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well you see people use argument that is not have removable battery against iPhone, now how those people gonna react when next flagship Android device won't have removable battery either? :p Also even before first leaks i seen people not having good opinion about LG, so this reaction kind of not supprice me. People are free to have opinions and both Google and LG need to put them in to account :)

Nexus' aren't flagship phones. That is not the point of these phones.

bez54

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

I have had a gnex for 2 months and I love it. So all the story's of a lg nexus are out there.

I have decided that I won't get one when it comes out. I will stick with my gnex. Anyone else feel the same?

I love what I have and think its the best phone I have ever had. Yes I was worried as it was a Samsung. But I love it. I have had iPhones in the past. Yeah I know ....:p... I hated the iPhone.I paid to much and had to jailbreak to do what I wanted it to do. But with the gnex. Well I have done nothing but love it. At a smaller cost to me. I also have a nexus 7. I love that too.

What I'm getting at is...is anyone going to get a lg nexus? I think the Sammy gnex is fine. But I like to have the latest and best around. Do you think it will be worth the change?

Thanks guys.

Bez.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nexus' aren't flagship phones. That is not the point of these phones.

Technically since the nexus is the only phone Google makes it would be a flagship for them.

Hi all.

I have had a gnex for 2 months and I love it. So all the story's of a lg nexus are out there.

I have decided that I won't get one when it comes out. I will stick with my gnex. Anyone else feel the same?

I love what I have and think its the best phone I have ever had. Yes I was worried as it was a Samsung. But I love it. I have had iPhones in the past. Yeah I know ....:p... I hated the iPhone.I paid to much and had to jailbreak to do what I wanted it to do. But with the gnex. Well I have done nothing but love it. At a smaller cost to me. I also have a nexus 7. I love that too.

What I'm getting at is...is anyone going to get a lg nexus? I think the Sammy gnex is fine. But I like to have the latest and best around. Do you think it will be worth the change?

Thanks guys.

Bez.

Galaxy nexus is an awesome phone.... But mine is already up for sale. I'll be using the S3 til I know for sure the price and what this is packing and I will most likely get it ASAP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital