Rumor: No LTE? Why is that upsetting?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's think about this for a second.

For the US, it seems like OEMs need to play the carrier game for LTE devices.

Currently, no one has released a phone that works on the LTE networks of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and MetroPCS. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S3. You can't bring a carrier A's model to carrier B's LTE network. Same thing with the iPad 3 and iPhone 5. (I mention these devices because they are the best example of the supposed same phone across all networks)

If LTE models exist, I think it's highly likely that there will be carrier variants of this new LG Nexus, especially for Verizon and Sprint, that support LTE. AT&T would probably want one as well.

But I believe what we're seeing is the International or Play Store model. I hope LTE models are in the pipeline.

With so much "fragmentation" with the LTE frequencies, it probably isn't feasible to have a phone that can support all LTE networks.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Gotta love how the US carriers gunk up the works. I also suspect we'll LTE versions here though, as shipping without it would make the device very unappealing to many people.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Gotta love how the US carriers gunk up the works. I also suspect we'll LTE versions here though, as shipping without it would make the device very unappealing to many people.

US carriers were one of the first to jump to LTE. LTE is still young. Look at the frequency bands worldwide-

Australia 1800 MHz
Canada 2100 MHz
Various countries in Europe 2.6 GHz
Korea 800 MHz

This is going to take time.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Let's think about this for a second.

For the US, it seems like OEMs need to play the carrier game for LTE devices.

Currently, no one has released a phone that works on the LTE networks of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and MetroPCS. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S3. You can't bring a carrier A's model to carrier B's LTE network. Same thing with the iPad 3 and iPhone 5. (I mention these devices because they are the best example of the supposed same phone across all networks)

If LTE models exist, I think it's highly likely that there will be carrier variants of this new LG Nexus, especially for Verizon and Sprint, that support LTE. AT&T would probably want one as well.

But I believe what we're seeing is the International or Play Store model. I hope LTE models are in the pipeline.

With so much "fragmentation" with the LTE frequencies, it probably isn't feasible to have a phone that can support all LTE networks.

Verizon's iPad3 does work on AT&T's network

EDIT: But it doesn't work on AT&T's LTE network, which is what the OP was referring to. My mistake.

InnerGeek

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
What I am curious about is why can't an LTE version be sold through the Play Store? I understand that the device current rumors are based on could possibly be a International non LTE variant. But if Apple can sell an LTE iPhone through their physical and online stores, why couldn't Google through the Play. That is if they had the foresight to get the appropriate systems in place to handle it.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What I am curious about is why can't an LTE version be sold through the Play Store? I understand that the device current rumors are based on could possibly be a International non LTE variant. But if Apple can sell an LTE iPhone through their physical and online stores, why couldn't Google through the Play. That is if they had the foresight to get the appropriate systems in place to handle it.

+1 this. There is NO reason Google shouldn't be able to do this. No one is saying that Google needs to have ONE phone to sell to everybody to use LTE on ANYONE'S network. Just sell multiple devices on the Play Store and each one works with LTE on the network you want it to work on. Just like Apple does it. Just like Samsung did with the S3.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The unlocked iPhone is the iPhone 5 for AT&T, right?

Not that many people know this but Samsung and Motorola also do this. You can buy phones on-contract and full-retail from them. I'm not sure why Google doesn't sell the Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Nexus phones in the Play Store.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
The unlocked iPhone is the iPhone 5 for AT&T, right?

Not that many people know this but Samsung and Motorola also do this. You can buy phones on-contract and full-retail from them. I'm not sure why Google doesn't sell the Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Nexus phones in the Play Store.

No the at&t version comes locked but the Verizon iphone 5 works on T-Mobile and at&t right out of the box

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No the at&t version comes locked but the Verizon iphone 5 works on T-Mobile and at&t right out of the box

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Actually..

The unlocked official iPhone 5 isn't available yet.

I was thinking of the previous 4S. When you actually go to choose it from the Apple Store, they'll sell you an unlocked AT&T one.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
GSM and UMTS (3G on GSM) also are used on multiple frequencies and overtime all models supports them, so i guess LTE modems just need time to develop

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
He is correct the vzw iphone5 works on tmo and att just swap sims. Sprint has locked that feature.
Actually..

The unlocked official iPhone 5 isn't available yet.

I was thinking of the previous 4S. When you actually go to choose it from the Apple Store, they'll sell you an unlocked AT&T one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
He is correct the vzw iphone5 works on tmo and att just swap sims. Sprint has locked that feature.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Is there an LTE phone that can work on all US LTE networks?

illmatic41

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully there are LTE versions of this device. While logistics would be a bit more complicated and confusing(for the less informed), customers on the Google Play Store could choose which LTE version they want based on their provider. I remember buying my AT&T 3G compatible version of the Nexus One the day it was first available from Google. You had the choice to pick T-Mobile 3G or AT&T 3G. If Apple can do this, I don't see why LG and Google can't, considering they've done it before in the past. Are international users still restricted from buying devices on the Play Store? Even if not, there could be an international LTE version like the iPhone5 or just have that version gimped with just HSDPA.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Seems to me if the device is equipped as the stories say it is (no LTE and 8G) this is a good way to hold the cost down and sell more units. This shows the way to breaking the carrier subsidy model and providing handsets closer to cost and carrier services closer to cost rather than the model we have today which is high costs (to the end user) from every direction. I assert that 3G is fine for most users and lower cost should be goal at the end of day. Once LTE modem costs come down, then sell them as fast as they can make them, but until then 3G is fine. BTW I use 4G but would be happy to pay less for 3G and would rarely notice the difference in 90%+ of my usage.

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
If the phone has no LTE, it automatically becomes worse than its predecessor - GNex. LTE is much better than HSPA+, which is no further being developed by carriers and is limited only to bigger cities. How can people use TMO while it has no signal 30 miles away from the city??? Or ATT which HSPA+ is so slow.....? I've had enough of TMO's number of dropped calls, lack of coverage and picky 4G.

HSPA+ is OVER. All carriers now work on their LTE networks, why to make a phone like that now????

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would think/hope that Google is being smart and creating multiple versions of the same phone: and selling them different ways like:

LTE CDMA or LTE GSM with 16GB subsidized for $199.99 by the Carriers (Verizon, ATT, Sprint, and Tmobile)

LTE CDMA or LTE GSM with 16GB sold at the Play Store $450

HSPA+ GSM 16GB or 8GB sold at the Play Store $350

I figure it allows the Nexus name to be sold in different places along keeping the carriers happy. But mainly Google needs to market this phone heavily like Samsung is with their SIII. If Google can use the same advertisement style as the Nexus 7 then it could rank as one of the top selling phones. Samsung and Apple are the top sellers and there is a huge gap between them and the other companies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But mainly Google needs to market this phone heavily like Samsung is with their SIII. If Google can use the same advertisement style as the Nexus 7 then it could rank as one of the top selling phones. Samsung and Apple are the top sellers and there is a huge gap between them and the other companies.

It really depends on what Google wants the Nexus brand to be.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what Google wants the Nexus brand to be.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

If they want it to be my phone, they will make a 32 gb version compatible with Verizon's LTE.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz