Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am so sick of your smart ass condescending tone. I have no "problem". The nexus is absolutely Google's product. The same way that the A6 chip in an iphone is made by samsung FOR apple (well used to be before today). You are literally playing the devils advocate on every level and none of your points hold water. The whole argument that the nexus line is a reference device / developer phone and should not have top of the line hardware is a paradigm google needs to break if they intend to actually penetrate the market with something other than a bloated crap version of android. You don't think google would want their version of the OS to be the most popular over samsungs? are you on drugs? I am not saying that the nexus hasn't been medium to fairly high end in the past but that is my frustration with the android ecosystem. You should not have to use a skinned 3rd party phone based on android to get modern competitive specs. Google is a $86 Billion company they can figure out how to release products at different price points. bottom line.

Apple designed their A6. But they don't have the resources to manufacture them in mass quantities.

So they turn to someone that can. Hello, Samsung.

If Android is king if marketshare, and Google is already collecting user data from all of those Android users, does the Nexus line really need to have the absolute top of the line specs?

No.

Google already has what it wants from you.

The hardware hasn't been the focus of Nexus. It's always been about the software.

Yet at release, the Nexus devices always have always had competitive specs - relative to their release dates.

I doubt we'll ever see Google become what Apple is today and what Microsoft is trying to become (see Surface).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I am so sick of your smart ass condescending tone. I have no "problem". The nexus is absolutely Google's product. The same way that the A6 chip in an iphone is made by samsung FOR apple (well used to be before today). You are literally playing the devils advocate on every level and none of your points hold water. The whole argument that the nexus line is a reference device / developer phone and should not have top of the line hardware is a paradigm google needs to break if they intend to actually penetrate the market with something other than a bloated crap version of android. You don't think google would want their version of the OS to be the most popular over samsungs? are you on drugs? I am not saying that the nexus hasn't been medium to fairly high end in the past but that is my frustration with the android ecosystem. You should not have to use a skinned 3rd party phone based on android to get modern competitive specs. Google is a $86 Billion company they can figure out how to release products at different price points. bottom line.

All my points hold water....the device is a high end product. It may not be the EXACT product you want, but if the rumored stats are correct then it'll likely be the top phone when available. Then again the best phone in about 8 months when KLP gets released.

Would Google rather be like Apple and make tons of money making phones? Absolutely, can they penetrate that market enough to make it happen? Doesn't seem like it. You can have all the money in the world but if consumers aren't buying its not making a difference. Google makes money whether you use Samsungs skin, LG skin, HTC skin, or heck iirc they even make MORE money from iPhone users. So the only reason they would want their vanilla product out there is to shut ppl up about crying for updates and for future security.

oh look he actually wants top of the line specs and was just trolling the whole time. didn't see that coming.

Nice bait, not biting. Prefer a discussion over an argument.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
If you consider the iPhone 4 the "original" then you would be right on that. It was released in June.

Was the GN the best phone on the market? No, but it was not low end specs by a long shot. It also runs better than most phones with better stats atm. Again, its biggest competition was the GS2 and you can look at the minor differences between the 2.

If you are basing all your evidence of what ppl complain about than you will have plenty of bad things to say. Doesn't make them all right.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs. Samsung Galaxy S II: Smartphone comparison - Google Android phones, mobile phones, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, samsung galaxy s ii, smartphones - PC World Australia

Is a nice little article comparing the 2 a little bit.

I would hope that the GN had specs comparable to the S2......the S2 came out about 8 months earlier if I remember correctly..lol That's like a light year in mobile technology. And there was more than just one phone that gave the GN competition....I had the Razr that came out like a month before that I felt had a better camera and much better signal and gps. Again, all I am wanting is for Google to have an event every year like Apple does that promotes the new OS and the Nexus phone. I would like the Nexus phone to be top specs or at least match what is currently out...not a phone that was released 8 months previous and for God's sake put a darn camera in the phone that can at least match the iphone, which is in a much smaller package by the way. If they can't do this then I will probably just start considering a non Nexus phone and hack it. I mean, many people on Verizon had to root the Nexus anyway to get the update instantly so if the next Nexus comes to Verizon it will be a watered down version anyway.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
..that's from one retailer.

Again quit playing devils advocate. Carphone warehouse is one of the biggest retailers in one of the biggest markets in the world. Absent Google releasing formal sales data it is the best data you can find. All signs point to very strong sales of the nexus 7. quit trolling. There is also this.

Nexus 7 sales could reach 8m in 2012 | News | TechRadar

Apple designed their A6. But they don't have the resources to manufacture them in mass quantities. So they turn to someone that can. Hello, Samsung.
If Android is king if marketshare, and Google is already collecting user data from all of those Android users, does the Nexus line really need to have the absolute top of the line specs? No. Google already has what it wants from you. The hardware hasn't been the focus of Nexus. It's always been about the software. Yet at release, the Nexus devices always have always had competitive specs - relative to their release dates. I doubt we'll ever see Google become what Apple is today and what Microsoft is trying to become (see Surface).

I am not asking for google to become apple i am simply asking them to be pro consumer. If you read my last post I wasnt commenting on what google has done in the past I was saying what I want them to do in the future. They can still have some one else produce their products for them (RE: asus, HTC, samsung, LG) but dictate what specs they demand out of the final product. They can have another company build them top of the line specs for a nexus model. Having LG build a phone that has 16gb max, non LTE, non removable battery and a seemingly dodgy 13/8MP camera should not have met the standards google set for the phone. Lets hope the prototype has just scared us and it actually turns out to be awesome.

and P.S. nice droid bionic.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Again quit playing devils advocate. Carphone warehouse is one of the biggest retailers in one of the biggest markets in the world. Absent Google releasing formal sales data it is the best data you can find. All signs point to very strong sales of the nexus 7. quit trolling. There is also this.

I am not asking for google to become apple i am simply asking them to be pro consumer. If you read my last post I wasnt commenting on what google has done in the past I was saying what I want them to do in the future. They can still have some one else produce their products for them (RE: asus, HTC, samsung, LG) but dictate what specs they demand out of the final product. They can have another company build them top of the line specs for a nexus model. Having LG build a phone that has 16gb max, non LTE, non removable battery and a seemingly dodgy 13/8MP camera should not have met the standards google set for the phone. Lets hope the prototype has just scared us and it actually turns out to be awesome.

Google dictates exactly what's going to be in the Nexus. Look at how much they talked about the work done with ASUS on the Nexus 7. Matthias Duarte said many times that he basically designed it himself, with ASUS building it. I mean how close does the Nexus 7 really look to the Memo that it replaced?

I agree that it would be awesome to see a top of the line Nexus spec-wise, but that has historically not been the purpose of the line. If the rumors of the SoC are true then it'll have the best processor available, which is a step in the right direction. Being all about openness, I wouldn't expect the Google Play Store version to have LTE, and Google seems to care little about mass amounts of storage in the phone. Multiple options would be nice, but the Nexus line hasn't completely made the turn from developer device to consumer device yet. This is still Google figuring out the retail side, having released how many devices for sale so far? (remember, one was pulled to "add features")

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would hope that the GN had specs comparable to the S2......the S2 came out about 8 months earlier if I remember correctly..lol That's like a light year in mobile technology. And there was more than just one phone that gave the GN competition....I had the Razr that came out like a month before that I felt had a better camera and much better signal and gps.

My point is that the GN when it launched was fairly competitive with its competition. While the Razr likely has some things better, I am sure that it has some things worse also. No phone is perfect and companies generally trade off with certain features or specs. Motorola has always been known for their great radios so it doesn't surprise me its signal is great. In fact I've been hoping for a Moto Nexus and would love to see one next year for that very reason.

Again, all I am wanting is for Google to have an event every year like Apple does that promotes the new OS and the Nexus phone. I would like the Nexus phone to be top specs or at least match what is currently out...not a phone that was released 8 months previous and for God's sake put a darn camera in the phone that can at least match the iphone, which is in a much smaller package by the way.

What you ask is not completely unreasonable but if its not making Google money than it makes sense that they do not want to do it. I'm not saying its impossible that it won't happen, but judging from history its hard to see that road coming.

If they can't do this then I will probably just start considering a non Nexus phone and hack it.

There it is.......the ability of choice that Android offers. It's exactly the point of the Android OS and hopefully things will not change. Consumers have choice of carriers, skins, shapes, and sizes of all different kinds. Don't be upset if the Nexus line isn't up to your standards because someone else should be making something that is closer to what you want.

I mean, many people on Verizon had to root the Nexus anyway to get the update instantly so if the next Nexus comes to Verizon it will be a watered down version anyway.

Truth....But not exactly the fault of Googles.

Understandable.....Does Google have the money to do what you want? Absolutely. But things have not gone well with Nexus launch's in the past. I srsly hope Google has learned and is growing the Nexus brand. But who knows if that turns out to be true or not? I'm sure last year you didn't have a bleeding heart for the 200 mil+ ppl who were left out of the GN because it was Verizon exclusive.

Google is very pro consumer based on software....not to much with hardware.

I agree with you in spirit but not so much in reality. If Google wants to branch out the Nexus name after failing 3 times before than I would LOVE to see it done correctly. They don't exactly need the best phone on the market to do it, but what they do need is to have it available to consumers. Sprint just 4 ish months ago? Got the GN. Thats about 6 months after launch and now likely won't even get this device because of the delayed launch of the GN.

Anyway....time will tell where they are heading with this.

Edit - The other thing I thought of that sorta gives me pause that Google will be launching this properly everywhere is the fact that the Optimus G is launching on AT&T and Sprint and from the looks of these rumors, they appear to be very close to the same phone.

I wonder if maybe T-Mo and Google will strike a deal up? Idk.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Trolling? Get over yourself. You're sick a supposed 'smart ass condescending tone" from other posters, yet you post that. Whatever. All I asked for was evidence. I would love for Google to actually release numbers on the Nexus 7. Data from a retailer like Staples, Best Buy, or RadioShack, large US retailers, would be more relevant to me.

I just don't see people using Nexus 7s out in the wild so I don't have the assumption that the Nexus 7 is doing well. I see Xooms and Galaxy Tabs and Transformer Primes being used. Maybe people are just not taking their Nexus 7s out.

Based on the products they have available now at the prices their selling them for makes me think that Google is already pro-consumer.

Nothing wrong with 16GB of memory. Nothing wrong with no LTE (though I still believe there will be LTE models of the next Nexus). Nothing wrong with a non-removable battery. Nothing wrong with the camera.

Because the Nexus should be about Android. Not a spec war. The Nexus shows off the best of what Google has to offer. And Google isn't Apple. Google isn't a hardware company.

If specs matter to you, you have options. That's what's so great about Android.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just don't see people using Nexus 7s out in the wild so I don't have the assumption that the Nexus 7 is doing well. I see Xooms and Galaxy Tabs and Transformer Primes being used. Maybe people are just not taking their Nexus 7s out.

I brought mine to work the other day and this girl asked if it was the new kindle. I said, no its the Nexus 7....she asked me what and I had to repeat myself a cpl times. I still don't think she knows what it is.

While I think the sales of this product have done very well by the ppl who follow tech news or even deal sites, I don't think its quite penetrated into the "normal" consumer atm.

I agree, I would love to see the actual numbers and break down of what this tablet costs Google to make and the sales numbers they are seeing. Because I think this tablet is an important factor whether or not Android can penetrate the tablet market or not.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As others point out, the unlocked official iPhone 5 GSM will work on AT&T HSPA+ and LTE bands, and with T-Mo HSPA+ and FUTURE LTE build.

Since most of these unlocked Nexus devices land on T-Mo, it's not an unwise choice to leave it out. By the time T-Mo has enough LTE it'll be time for the next Nexus and it will make sense to include it then.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
As others point out, the unlocked official iPhone 5 GSM will work on AT&T HSPA+ and LTE bands, and with T-Mo HSPA+ and FUTURE LTE build.

Since most of these unlocked Nexus devices land on T-Mo, it's not an unwise choice to leave it out. By the time T-Mo has enough LTE it'll be time for the next Nexus and it will make sense to include it then.

Ok, after some research with the below article. It seems the Verizon is not compatible with AT&T LTE. But it does have 5 bands in it so it will be compatible with a lot of overseas networks it seems.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/want-global-lte-roaming-on-iphone-5-dont-buy-it-from-att/

So it does seem that if Google wanted to they could create an LTE device that could work on multiple networks.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I suppose its possible that I am wrong, but do you have any evidence to show this works on LTE? I looked at 3 articles saying that the Verizon one works on AT&T HSPA+ side and nothing that says its capable of using AT&T LTE network.

To clarify, the official "no carrier" unlocked iPhone 5 is probably the one that works with "AT&T's HSPA+ and AT&T's LTE bands".

The Verizon model's GSM side is unlocked. You won't have access to another carrier's LTE though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Remember how there was a AT&T 3G-compatible Nexus One along side the T-Mobile 3G-compatible Nexus One?

Remember how there was a AT&T 3G-compatible Nexus S along side the T-Mobile 3G-compatible Nexus S?

On the GSM side, that all changed when OEMs started using penta-band radios. Now there's (technically) only one GSM Galaxy Nexus that one could use on both AT&T 's and T-Mobile's 3G networks.

But, the Galaxy Nexus also became available in a CDMA/LTE model.

Don't freak out if there's no LTE models right away. Heck, don't freak out if there's no CDMA/LTE models right away.

100+ million Verizon and Sprint customers will be hard to ignore. Throw in AT&T's subscribers and 250+ million potential LTE subscribers will be hard for Google to ignore.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
AT&T's LTE uses the AWS band. This is the same band T-Mobile uses for HSPA+, although they are slowly migrating that to the PCS band. In the near future, the T-Mobile LTE deployment will go on AWS, making the AT&T and T-Mobile networks aligned from a hardware compatibility standpoint.

At least a year away from that. Phones destined for the T-Mobile network shouldn't be supporting LTE on this spectrum until then. Probably the next Nexus will include it.

This article talks about the T-Mobile upgrade plans. Warning - it mentions the iPhone.

http://gigaom.com/apple/iphone-5-is-ripe-for-t-mobile-once-it-finishes-network-overhaul/

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Based on parts: $151.75 for the 8GB model, $159.25 for the 16GB model.

Source: Google's Nexus 7 Costs $152 to Make, IHS iSuppli Teardown Finds - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD

Yea, I'd rather hear it from Google rather than some basic teardown. They couldn't possibly know the type of discount Google got based on the parts they ordered.

But even if that is close, its not a lot of wiggle room if any for a good profit. They had to spend $$ and manpower to design this sucker, so after research and dev AND making commercials for it, it can't be a huge profit for them on hardware. I don't believe those who say they are subsidizing it to power their image and play store, but if they are making any profit then I think its a very small number.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
AT&T's LTE uses the AWS band. This is the same band T-Mobile uses for HSPA+, although they are slowly migrating that to the PCS band. In the near future, the T-Mobile LTE deployment will go on AWS, making the AT&T and T-Mobile networks aligned from a hardware compatibility standpoint.

At least a year away from that. Probably the next Nexus.

This article talks about the T-Mobile upgrade plans. Warning - it mentions the iPhone.

iPhone 5 is ripe for T-Mobile once it finishes network overhaul — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

Yea, the article I linked above mentions the ATT iPhone ability to use T-Mo LTE network. So you are probably right that next year we may see an LTE version that works on both networks.