11-02-2012 07:47 AM
173 ... 34567
tools
    AT&T LTE is generally as fast and in some cases faster from the reviews I have seen. Obviously both will take a bit of hit once more ppl get on it, but AT&T is less cluttered atm in comparison to Verizon.

Just like with 3G, it will vary where you live.
    10-24-2012 08:02 PM
    This thread is hilarious.

Fans on one side fighting fans on the other (and Richard being the fan of whatever he has today), meanwhile none of us know any of these answers.

A couple things that haven't been mentioned:
    • iOS has the framework for what's essentially My Verizon and Backup Assistant baked in. You only have to download the UI from the app store. Is the iPhone 5 not an iPhone?
    • If you want to build a phone using open-source components, you can't build it for Verizon or Sprint.
    • Using multiband LTE radios means not having more than one radio active at a time.
    • There are over 1 Billion smartphone users world wide. Verizon only serves 3.6 36 Million of them. That means 964+ Million users aren't using Verizon. There is no "priority" to serve Verizon over any other carrier.
    • The idea that a "Nexus" phone has anything to do with hacking comes not from Google, but from Josh Topolsky. Google defines Android as an open platform to run apps and access the Internet. Google defines the "Android Developer Phones" as advanced SIM unlock devices, but they say that both versions of the Galaxy Nexus, both versions of the Nexus S, the Wifi-only Xoom, and the Pandaboard have replaced those developer phones. The Nexus line is about developing apps, not ROMs.

Of course, none of this means anything when asking if Google will have a CDMA/LTE version of the Nexus 4 built. The only answer to that question is "I dunno."
    10-24-2012 08:20 PM
    yes its not slow but its not as fast

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...lazingfast.png
    Well I've gotten better, I've gotten over 50k before with lte. I don't think it's faster, more or less identical. Verizons LTE network is larger but only because they started nearly a year before at&t

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    10-24-2012 08:34 PM
    The Nexus line is about developing apps, not ROMs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    10-24-2012 09:46 PM
    This thread is hilarious.

Fans on one side fighting fans on the other (and Richard being the fan of whatever he has today), meanwhile none of us know any of these answers.

A couple things that haven't been mentioned:
    • There are over 1 Billion smartphone users world wide. Verizon only serves 3.6 Million of them. That means 996+ Million users aren't using Verizon. There is no "priority" to serve Verizon over any other carrier.
    ..where's the 3.6 million coming from?

~100 million subscribers, ~44% using smartphones...

10-24-2012 09:51 PM

According to Verizon, 44% of its customers are now using smartphones. That's up from 39% in the third quarter of 2011, and closing in quickly on the 50% mark. Earlier this year, Verizon's CFO Fran Shammo said that the company sold 4 million Apple iPhones during the fourth quarter. The company sold 7.7 million smartphones in total.

That's my guess anyway.

Unless it was a typo....But either way about 50 million ppl is a far cry from 1 billion like he said.
    10-24-2012 09:53 PM
    According to Verizon, 44% of its customers are now using smartphones. That's up from 39% in the third quarter of 2011, and closing in quickly on the 50% mark. Earlier this year, Verizon's CFO Fran Shammo said that the company sold 4 million Apple iPhones during the fourth quarter. The company sold 7.7 million smartphones in total.

That's my guess anyway.

Unless it was a typo....But either way about 50 million ppl is a far cry from 1 billion like he said.
    I know. Still.. 40 million is way more than 3.6 million.

10-24-2012 09:57 PM
    I know. Still.. 40 million is way more than 3.6 million.

It sure is. Factor in the iPhone users though and you are looking more like 25 million.
    10-24-2012 10:03 PM
    Huffpost reports that Verizon stated it had ended quarter 2 with 94.2 million retail subscribers.
    10-24-2012 11:33 PM

That's my guess anyway.

Typo, fat fingers, then math with that number. It's about 36 million.
    Ry likes this.
    10-25-2012 12:47 AM
    Again, this is not going to come to Verizon. It just wont. I would like it to through the Play Store but Verizon just stamped their logo on the home button of the Note II. Do you really think they're going to bend to Google's will? HA!

I'm going to switch to T-Mobile IF the Nexus 4 is supposed to have fantastic battery life. If not, then I am just going to get the RAZR MAXX HD and ROM it.
    10-25-2012 04:31 AM
    Honestly I'd like a play store model and a version on every carrier. The one thing a nexus has never been (aside from the nexus 7) is a hit. Maybe with critics yes but limited availability and minimal marketing has always plagued the nexus phones. In a perfect world we'd all buy our phones outright and have lower monthly bills, but the average consumer would rather grab a galaxy nexus for a penny from Verizon and sign a 2 year instead of paying $350 outright for a phone.

10-25-2012 08:25 AM
    i'm guessing it wont be on Verizon. If it does happen to show up i
    d be ecstatic since i'm locked into a VZW contract for another year.
    10-25-2012 10:08 AM
    I'm not sure it will be avaliable on Verizon either but who knows. It's funny, I was a longtime Verizon customer until the year I got the Nexus One. Last year was the only time that a Nexus phone was offered exclusively on one U.S. carrier. It wasn't until later this year that the GSM version was availiable on the play store. I like the play store model better but that's just me. I also think it would be awesome and fair to have a Nexus phone avaliable for every carrier on the playstore but, I'm not sure it can be done due to some of the issues some of you broguht up.

I've had both and personelly like the GSM version of the Gnex better but, don't doubt that the Verizon Gnex is a Nexus device. I guess if I had better VZW LTE in my area I would think differently. The Verizon Iphone 5 is basically a unlocked phone that can be used on At&t's HSPA+ network. I don't see why they could put the same technology into the LG Nexus.
    10-25-2012 04:04 PM
    AT&T LTE is generally as fast and in some cases faster from the reviews I have seen. Obviously both will take a bit of hit once more ppl get on it, but AT&T is less cluttered atm in comparison to Verizon.

Just like with 3G, it will vary where you live.
    At&t LTE is really fast in my area, alot faster than Verizon.
    10-25-2012 04:05 PM
    At&t LTE is really fast in my area, alot faster than Verizon.
    I wonder if it's faster because they have less customers using LTE?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-2012 05:08 PM
    I wonder if it's faster because they have less customers using LTE?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    If you look at who he was quoting....I said the same thing as this. In other words, the LTE are about the same but Verizon has a huge head start with coverage.
    10-25-2012 05:12 PM
    If you look at who he was quoting....I said the same thing as this. In other words, the LTE are about the same but Verizon has a huge head start with coverage.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    10-26-2012 07:15 PM
    I said it somewhere but it is worth repeating. The lg nexus, for better or worse, will be on verizon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    10-26-2012 10:47 PM
    I've got no problems with Verizon, except that their pricing plans are $40+ per month more expensive than comparable T-Mo/AT+T plans.
    And that CMDA phones don't travel internationally.
    Verizon is no more expensive for me than the T-Mobile/AT&T.

I know my plan is no longer available, but I pay $70/month for 450 minutes and unlimited data. 500 minutes + unlimited data on T-Mobile (with or without unlimited texting) is also $70/month. I use Google Voice for texting anyway, so that's not a benefit for me on T-Mobile.

But since Verizon won't allow me to keep my unlimited plan and get a subsidized phone any more, I'll compare it to T-Mobile's Value Plan, which costs $55 for 500 minutes and unlimited data. So, come August next year when my contract ends, I'll be paying Verizon $15 more for the same plan I could get on T-Mobile with the added coverage of Verizon and LTE.

If I got in on AT&T's unlimited data plan two years ago, I'd also be paying $70/month but I'd be throttled after 5GB.
    10-27-2012 01:20 AM
    I pay $70 with Tmo for unlimited call, text and web, including 5GB of 4G data. It's called Monthly4G and doesn't require a contract. You won't get such deal from VZW.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    10-27-2012 07:04 AM

I know my plan is no longer available, but I pay $70/month for 450 minutes and unlimited data. 500 minutes + unlimited data on T-Mobile (with or without unlimited texting) is also $70/month. I use Google Voice for texting anyway, so that's not a benefit for me on T-Mobile.

But since Verizon won't allow me to keep my unlimited plan and get a subsidized phone any more, I'll compare it to T-Mobile's Value Plan, which costs $55 for 500 minutes and unlimited data. So, come August next year when my contract ends, I'll be paying Verizon $15 more for the same plan I could get on T-Mobile with the added coverage of Verizon and LTE.

If I got in on AT&T's unlimited data plan two years ago, I'd also be paying $70/month but I'd be throttled after 5GB.
    Well I got Sprint $30 plan for 500 minutes and unlimited data with N&W at 7 and unl texting. I actually don't but you see how foolish it is to compare a plan that happens to be grandfathered in to what you can walk into a store and get now.

I think in comparison Verizon is not an overwhelmingly more expensive carrier, but it has the downfall of practically needing LTE and not being able to bring your own device. Since you have an old plan at a good price then its certainly worth keeping for as long as you want. Each carrier has certain tradeoffs from each other in terms of pricing, coverage, phone availability, etc.

I pay $70 with Tmo for unlimited call, text and web, including 5GB of 4G data. It's called Monthly4G and doesn't require a contract. You won't get such deal from VZW.

Verizon has prepaid for only $80 a month sir! Of coarse you only get 1 GB.
    10-27-2012 07:58 AM
    My billing cycle ends in 10 days and I already used 4.8 GB out of 5 GB of my 4G data. I don't download any files but I watch lots of videos. 10 GB would work for me the best but 5GB is the lowest end.... This is why my choice was TMobile but I am aware of VZW's LTE network being superior to all other "4G" networks.... What I Iike about TMobile is price and flexibility with SIM cards... What I don't like is coverage and slower data...

10-27-2012 08:51 AM

No Verizon is more expensive. Like I said 2 years ago, I was dying for an android phone and I went there to get a price on 2 Droid incredibles for me and my wife. Through lowes I could get 20% off monthly service and 20% off first line data where I wasn't even eligible for a discount with at&t. Getting exactly what I had from at&t l with no discount plus the additional smartphone data fees was still $20 more after the discount! There are just stupid things from Verizon that make the price higher for instance at&t insurance is $5 per line. Verizons "total equipment protection" was $10 per line. That's just one example but the point is I stuck with at&t because it was cheaper

10-27-2012 07:09 PM
    VZW has provided me with the best coverage of all the carriers.

You get what you pay for IMO. VZW, is only a little more and provides me with great service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ry likes this.
    10-27-2012 11:19 PM
173 ... 34567