Why don't you like the Nexus 4? (The phone, Not LG as an OEM)

heyjb28

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I know there's a post LIKE this but it's mainly talking about LG as an OEM but I'm asking why you don't like the phone?

Sure, there's some negatives, but positives come out of these.

1. People just don't like LG. Well, I was looking to get out of LG after 4 years (Vu, then Optimus S) but if they're making a Nexus, I'll take a look. As AC has said, it looks like LG got their act together with the Optimus G (except software, but that won't matter since it'll have stock Android), which is what the Nexus 4 is based off of.

2. Non-removable battery. Sure, this is a bummer. I flash a lot of roms on my phone so I have to take my battery to reset a lot. But with a Nexus, I don't have to even flash roms. I get the latest flavor of Android first. Also, when you make the battery non-removable, you can make the device thinner and put in a bigger battery.

3. No LTE. I am POSITIVE this will change when the phone makes it to the U.S.

4. It looks ugly. The front looks like the GNex, which is a BEAUTIFULLY designed phone. Probably the cleanest looking phone out. The back has the crystal reflection which I personally think is clever and looks pretty cool.

So, what else grinds your gears about this phone? Shout it out below!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Things I don't like about the leaked LG Nexus:

1. Storage. I'm really hoping that this prototype is just that, and only has 8gb for testing purposes. 16gb is bare minimum required without an sd slot, but I'd be mostly satisfied with 32gb. If Google do 8/16/32gb models, I'll be happy.

2. Aesthetics. The design of the phone is 'ok'. It looks like the Galaxy Nexus from the front (whether that's good or bad is up to you), but the back looks horrendous from those Russian website leaks. A drab grey pattern on the back is not flattering. Let's just keep it clean and classy thanks.

3. No LTE on the leaked device. I don't think I can buy a phone that isn't on 4G. The problem is that the 3G model will probably be available on the Play Store and get fast updates from Google, whereas the LTE model will only be available through carriers and suffer long delayed updates. It's a horrible catch 22.

4. The camera samples leaked both from that Russian site and Google/LG employees look like absolute ass. HOPE that's pre-production hardware/software that's at fault, but seeing the camera samples from the Optimus G, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Other than that, I think the phone is fine. I really don't care about non-removable battery. I've never, ever pulled my battery out of my phone once inserted.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Things I don't like about the leaked LG Nexus:

1. Storage. I'm really hoping that this prototype is just that, and only has 8gb for testing purposes. 16gb is bare minimum required without an sd slot, but I'd be mostly satisfied with 32gb. If Google do 8/16/32gb models, I'll be happy.

2. Aesthetics. The design of the phone is 'ok'. It looks like the Galaxy Nexus from the front (whether that's good or bad is up to you), but the back looks horrendous from those Russian website leaks. A drab grey pattern on the back is not flattering. Let's just keep it clean and classy thanks.

3. No LTE on the leaked device. I don't think I can buy a phone that isn't on 4G. The problem is that the 3G model will probably be available on the Play Store and get fast updates from Google, whereas the LTE model will only be available through carriers and suffer long delayed updates. It's a horrible catch 22.

4. The camera samples leaked both from that Russian site and Google/LG employees look like absolute ass. HOPE that's pre-production hardware/software that's at fault, but seeing the camera samples from the Optimus G, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Other than that, I think the phone is fine. I really don't care about non-removable battery. I've never, ever pulled my battery out of my phone once inserted.

This... however the processor / ram / screen look amazing.

heyjb28

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
1. Something I forgot to cover in my original post, but I agree. I have a feeling 8 is too small and it's most likely a prototype thing.

2. I suppose the back design is a matter of opinion (I would take the GNex design over it), but I think it's ok and I'm curious to see what they do with the white version as I heard somewhere that we'll have that alternative.

3. I kinda covered this already.

4. The camera on the Optimus G is 13 MP which is top-tier but that shouldn't matter with terrible software and sensors and all that, but I guess it's Google's job to see that there are at least some software address to this issue.

Local_Hero

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The physical screen size is the same as my GNex. I would like something bigger than what I have now.

Also the design is too similar to my GNex, same basic body shape. When I get a new phone I want it to be a little bit different.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Screen size. I'm really looking for something a little bigger, especially since it'll have software buttons. Also, I'm hesitant about the back. I'm not hating on it, since it hasn't been tested in the wild yet. However, I'm concerned about the durability of the back plate.

heyjb28

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The physical screen size is the same as my GNex. I would like something bigger than what I have now.

Also the design is too similar to my GNex, same basic body shape. When I get a new phone I want it to be a little bit different.

Screen Size is 0.05 inches bigger so not a huge difference but I think Google really likes the clean black look.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Going under the assumption that it will have more than 8 GB and will have LTE...and, of course, WILL be on Sprint...I'll probably buy in. Unless I have more choices for other Nexus phones...then it'll just be a matter of which one will fit me better.

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
At first i didn't like the non removable battery. Now i find myself not caring as much about it. My Nexus 7 doesn't have a removable battery. The only reason i remove my battery from my Galaxy Nexus is to hard reboot it.

So i don't see a reason why i wouldn't buy this phone... well other than the fact that i'm glued to a contract with Verizon until December 2013. Anyone want to take this over. :D:D

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I know there's a post LIKE this but it's mainly talking about LG as an OEM but I'm asking why you don't like the phone?

Sure, there's some negatives, but positives come out of these.

1. People just don't like LG. Well, I was looking to get out of LG after 4 years (Vu, then Optimus S) but if they're making a Nexus, I'll take a look. As AC has said, it looks like LG got their act together with the Optimus G (except software, but that won't matter since it'll have stock Android), which is what the Nexus 4 is based off of.

2. Non-removable battery. Sure, this is a bummer. I flash a lot of roms on my phone so I have to take my battery to reset a lot. But with a Nexus, I don't have to even flash roms. I get the latest flavor of Android first. Also, when you make the battery non-removable, you can make the device thinner and put in a bigger battery.

3. No LTE. I am POSITIVE this will change when the phone makes it to the U.S.

4. It looks ugly. The front looks like the GNex, which is a BEAUTIFULLY designed phone. Probably the cleanest looking phone out. The back has the crystal reflection which I personally think is clever and looks pretty cool.

So, what else grinds your gears about this phone? Shout it out below!

what do you do if the phone freeze up and have to pull the battery???
i have never seen a android phone not freeze at least once!

if there was a hard reset button or something
if you develop android software this is a must
:thumbdown:

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Same thing iPhone users do....I believe its power button and volume down and it does a reboot.

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

There is a key combo that will simulate "pulling the battery", so nothing to worry about if the phone freezes

diskoman69

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The storage: having 16GB as the top storage option with no MicroSD slot is a non-starter. Jeez, these are the same storage options as the Nexus S two years ago! 32GB is the bare minimum I would consider in a phone with no removable storage support. As much as I love all the other specs and the fact that it's a Nexus device, I'm better off getting a GN2, slapping my 32GB MicroSD card in it, and calling it a day.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Storage. I'm glad Sprint went with a 32gb galaxy nexus. I only have 4gbs left

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The storage: having 16GB as the top storage option with no MicroSD slot is a non-starter. Jeez, these are the same storage options as the Nexus S two years ago! 32GB is the bare minimum I would consider in a phone with no removable storage support. As much as I love all the other specs and the fact that it's a Nexus device, I'm better off getting a GN2, slapping my 32GB MicroSD card in it, and calling it a day.

You really can't judge what the production models are going to be when all we have is a 6-month-old beta unit.

heyjb28

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I have a crap LG Optimus S that struggles to run an unofficial build of CM9 but with the Nexus, you (or "I" int his case) won't need to put stock roms because it gets the latest software first AND it's stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20