Google event Oct. 29 in NYC

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait, dying to know more about the lg nexus and any other possible phones.

Android 4.2? Seems a little soon don't think? JellyBean has been out for what 3 months?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google event Oct. 29 in NY

I'm sorry, but I would like the time between product announcement and release to be shorter. I would rather Google not publicly announce a product roadmap a year in advance.

Sorry their is a misunderstanding because I would not want not publicly announce product road map per say just general scope or when and what be unveiled during a year. Again I refers to apple product lines where one could know roughly when the next iPhone,iPad, etc...Furthermore what venue apple will use to release there product.

If Google was to release new nexus device every summer at Google I/O and a set venue in winter would be great. In addition to sperate both venues by only unveil certain products. Like for example tablets only at one venue and smartphones at the other.

I agree they need to shift the time between press events. This year it was 7 month until Google I/O then just 4 month till All things Mobile. Then we have to wait 8 month until Google I/O and we not even guaranteed if the event will happen next year or if they will release a new nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google event Oct. 29 in NY

Sorry their is a misunderstanding because I would not want not publicly announce product road map per say just general scope or when and what be unveiled during a year. Again I refers to apple product lines where one could know roughly when the next iPhone,iPad, etc...Furthermore what venue apple will use to release there product.

If Google was to release new nexus device every summer at Google I/O and a set venue in winter would be great. In addition to sperate both venues by only unveil certain products. Like for example tablets only at one venue and smartphones at the other.

I agree they need to shift the time between press events. This year it was 7 month until Google I/O then just 4 month till All things Mobile. Then we have to wait 8 month until Google I/O and we not even guaranteed if the event will happen next year or if they will release a new nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Could know. But again, nothing is official until it's official. Remember when iPhones were announced in the summer? Things change. What one can expect from Apple is at least one iPhone and at least one iPad every year.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Could know. But again, nothing is official until it's official. Remember when iPhones were announced in the summer? Things change. What one can expect from Apple is at least one iPhone and at least one iPad every year.

Apple shows consistency. After they make a change to their pattern they soon return to a consist format. In end I want Google to be more systematic rather having sporatic system.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple shows consistency. After they make a change to their pattern they soon return to a consist format. In end I want Google to be more systematic rather having sporatic system.

Looking beyond Nexus, Google has had a reference smartphone out every year. Since Honeycomb, Google has had a reference tablet out every year.

Android 1.0: October 2008 (HTC Dream/G1)
Android 1.5 Cupcake: March 2009 (HTC Magic)
Android 1.6 Donut: July 2009 (HTC Hero)
Android 2.0 Eclair: October 2009 (Motorola DROID)
Android 2.1 Eclair: January 2010 (Nexus One)
Android 2.2 Froyo: June 2010 (Nexus One)
Android 2.3 Gingerbread: December 2010 (Nexus S)
Android 3.0 Honeycomb: February 2011 (Motorola Xoom)
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich: November 2011 (Galaxy Nexus)
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean: July 2012 (Nexus 7)

Narrowing it into Nexus devices -

January 2010 (Nexus One)
December 2010 (Nexus S)
November 2011 (Galaxy Nexus)
July 2012 (Nexus 7)

For smartphones, this translates into roughly Winter for smartphones and Summer for tablets. It's October now. Google has an announcement at the end of the month. A release of a new smartphone would likely be November. And that lines up with what we've seen previously from Google. There's already some sort of consistency.

And for reference -

June 2007 (iPhone)
September 2007 (iPod touch first generation)
July 2008 (iPhone 3G)
September 2008 (iPod touch second generation)
June 2009 (iPhone 3GS)
September 2009 (iPod touch third generation)
April 2010 (iPad)
June 2010 (iPhone 4)
September 2010 (iPod touch fourth generation)
February 2011 (iPhone 4 CDMA)
March 2011 (iPad 2)
October 2011 (iPhone 4S)
March 2012 (iPad 3)
September 2012 (iPhone 5)
October 2012 (iPod touch fifth generation)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Looking beyond Nexus, Google has had a reference smartphone out every year. Since Honeycomb, Google has had a reference tablet out every year.

Android 1.0: October 2008 (HTC Dream/G1)
Android 1.5 Cupcake: March 2009 (HTC Magic)
Android 1.6 Donut: July 2009 (HTC Hero)
Android 2.0 Eclair: October 2009 (Motorola DROID)
Android 2.1 Eclair: January 2010 (Nexus One)
Android 2.2 Froyo: June 2010 (Nexus One)
Android 2.3 Gingerbread: December 2010 (Nexus S)
Android 3.0 Honeycomb: February 2011 (Motorola Xoom)
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich: November 2011 (Galaxy Nexus)
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean: July 2012 (Nexus 7)

Narrowing it into Nexus devices -

January 2010 (Nexus One)
December 2010 (Nexus S)
November 2011 (Galaxy Nexus)
July 2012 (Nexus 7)

For smartphones, this translates into roughly Winter for smartphones and Summer for tablets. It's October now. Google has an announcement at the end of the month. A release of a new smartphone would likely be November. And that lines up with what we've seen previously from Google. There's already some sort of consistency.

And for reference -

June 2007 (iPhone)
September 2007 (iPod touch first generation)
July 2008 (iPhone 3G)
September 2008 (iPod touch second generation)
June 2009 (iPhone 3GS)
September 2009 (iPod touch third generation)
April 2010 (iPad)
June 2010 (iPhone 4)
September 2010 (iPod touch fourth generation)
February 2011 (iPhone 4 CDMA)
March 2011 (iPad 2)
October 2011 (iPhone 4S)
March 2012 (iPad 3)
September 2012 (iPhone 5)
October 2012 (iPod touch fifth generation)

Yes I know about both companies product history did a thread comparing the two. When you isolate just nexus history we have only now believe that Google will come out with a Nexus smartphone at the end of the year. Then when you look at the nexus tablets the xoom and nexus 7 had clout around to come around. So if you look at nexus history they seem to have a system. However we always look to previous year in hopes to what Google will do in the future but it's always seem very clouded. Can you say they will come out with anoher tablet at Google I/O next year? With Google we are left to expect at bare minium a smartphone at end year but we all even question that

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know about both companies product history did a thread comparing the two. When you isolate just nexus history we have only now believe that Google will come out with a Nexus smartphone at the end of the year. Then when you look at the nexus tablets the xoom and nexus 7 had clout around to come around. So if you look at nexus history they seem to have a system. However we always look to previous year in hopes to what Google will do in the future but it's always seem very clouded. Can you say they will come out with anoher tablet at Google I/O next year? With Google we are left to expect at bare minium a smartphone at end year but we all even question that

It's not next year yet.

And nothing is official until it's official. No one here can say for certain when products will launch unless they work at Google or with one of their launch partners.

It truly does seem like you want confirmation ahead of time. Even next year, we won't know anything until Google makes an announcement. Next year, we don't know if Apple is going to release anything. They've set a precedence taking a year off from the iPod touch. Again. It's only official until it's official. We are all guessing.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It's not next year yet.

And nothing is official until it's official. No one here can say for certain when products will launch unless they work at Google or with one of their launch partners.

It truly does seem like you want confirmation ahead of time. Even next year, we won't know anything until Google makes an announcement. Next year, we don't know if Apple is going to release anything. They've set a precedence taking a year off from the iPod touch. Again. It's only official until it's official. We are all guessing.

Of course official is official but some companies are more predictable its just nice to know what will be next. Plus have the confidence they deliver again next year.

Last edited:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Some interesting (or reaching) ideas are being thrown around on the Verge forums in regard to the actual image Google adhered to the invitation.
View attachment 41886

*4 Blue Icons (buildings) = 4 New Phones
*2 Red Icons (bridge) = 2 New Tablets
*4 Blue, 2 Red = New 4.2 Update (that one makes sense).

Regardless, I'm elated Google is holding their own event instead of announcing the next advancement in Android briefly at AllThingsD.

No, I think it's a depiction of downtown, which is where the event is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Didn't the hero have htc sense?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You're probably right. I know Sprint's Hero did.

I don't know what came first. The Dream or Magic getting Donut or a Hero released with Donut.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah iirc it was the phone that introduced sense, which of course was the successor to touch flow 3D seen on Windows Mobile phones.

It was the successor to the dream (g2) and magic (my touch) but it wasn't a Google experience phone, granted of course sense wasn't as intrusive as it is now

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

solid_s_1117

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Putative intel regarding the itinerary for the event, via the Verge forums. *No Source stated*

New Devices:

There will be three new devices revealed by Google,

The new Nexus phone by LG - Nexus 4
A 3G version of the Nexus 7
A 10 inch Tablet by Samsung - Nexus 10 (with a very high resolution)
New Android Features:

Huge improvements to Google Now, cards will be different, a card comparing how much you've walked across months and a card that pops up when ever you go to a new city, showing all the POI's and distance to them
Changes to the Camera interface
Notifications get further improvements, now you can read entire messages in the notification center
UI improvements for bigger tablets.
And the keyboard will come with something similar to swype

Google Event Details | The Verge Forums