Nexus 4 better be a good PHONE

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am very excited about the new LG Nexus 4. But one reason I never bought a Samsung Nexus was becuase of its poor radio quality.
At the end of the day. I want my phone to have amazing cell reception and data connectivity. I know all the bells and whistles are nice. But maybe these big companies should go back to the basics and start with a good radio.

If the phone has a hard time staying on an HSPA network... then looks like ill be sticking with my HTC.
No one seems to bring this up... Does anyone feel the same?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I am very excited about the new LG Nexus 4. But one reason I never bought a Samsung Nexus was becuase of its poor radio quality.
At the end of the day. I want my phone to have amazing cell reception and data connectivity. I know all the bells and whistles are nice. But maybe these big companies should go back to the basics and start with a good radio.

If the phone has a hard time staying on an HSPA network... then looks like ill be sticking with my HTC.

Nah, I don't use my phone as a phone anyway. :cool:

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
HA! Good luck.... LG is known for worst radios... HTC, Sony or Moto should be the only companies making a Nexus. Maybe one day Asus.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus has never given me a problem radio wise. Maybe because of Verizons good network? I don't know but no complaints here. But I agree hope the switch doesn't cause me to have any complaints.

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The GSM version of the GN has a poor radio as well? I thought this was limited to CDMA phones :(

Hbomber110

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Popular phones these days feel like small tablet with phone features.
I know 3 good durable and reliable phone makers; Motorola, RIM and Nokia... Unfortunately the all seem to be lagging on softwares
Thats why i have faith in motorola, the make the best !phones! in the Android arena and they are now owned by the best OS makers, lets hope they get things done right.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want it to be a phone then you should be ok. I love Samsung, and the SGS3 is a huge improvement, but they are the worst on CDMA. I cannot speak for GSM, but they didnt seem to have the issues. that the VZW model had.

That being said, the lack of reported storage space is a concern. If the max that they start out with is only 16GB it will fill up fast. As hbomber said, phones now seem like small tablets, and lets be honest, that is why we have smartphones. If we didnt want the smartphone features we would get a flip phone. The rest of his statement would then be right, RIM and nokia would be viable options.

Moto does not make the best phones for what I want it for. They make good, durable, functional phones. They just are not for me. I think for me the DLX (DNA) is my phone nirvana provided the bootloader can be knocked off and CM10 or AOKP be put on there.

One more thing, and this gets said a lot but no one wants to let it sink in. Moto and Google are two separate companies. Google cannot show any preferential treatment to them. They are going to be acting independently. Where moto will benefit is the deep pockets they can draw on and being able to do more with more. I can see some really good phones coming from them around summer of next year. The product lines are kinda set now through then and development takes time.

I am really hoping the "nexus certification" program is not vaporware. I would love to see Nexus being open to competition. They all can be sold through the carriers or the Play store. I could care less where I buy it from. I want to see HTC, Samsung, Sony, Moto, LG, and whoever else get in the act and compete for the nexus space. They can make their "flavor" of Android too, again I could care less and more choice is always better.

/Rant

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you want it to be a phone then you should be ok. I love Samsung, and the SGS3 is a huge improvement, but they are the worst on CDMA. I cannot speak for GSM, but they didnt seem to have the issues. that the VZW model had.

That being said, the lack of reported storage space is a concern. If the max that they start out with is only 16GB it will fill up fast. As hbomber said, phones now seem like small tablets, and lets be honest, that is why we have smartphones. If we didnt want the smartphone features we would get a flip phone. The rest of his statement would then be right, RIM and nokia would be viable options.

Moto does not make the best phones for what I want it for. They make good, durable, functional phones. They just are not for me. I think for me the DLX (DNA) is my phone nirvana provided the bootloader can be knocked off and CM10 or AOKP be put on there.

One more thing, and this gets said a lot but no one wants to let it sink in. Moto and Google are two separate companies. Google cannot show any preferential treatment to them. They are going to be acting independently. Where moto will benefit is the deep pockets they can draw on and being able to do more with more. I can see some really good phones coming from them around summer of next year. The product lines are kinda set now through then and development takes time.

I am really hoping the "nexus certification" program is not vaporware. I would love to see Nexus being open to competition. They all can be sold through the carriers or the Play store. I could care less where I buy it from. I want to see HTC, Samsung, Sony, Moto, LG, and whoever else get in the act and compete for the nexus space. They can make their "flavor" of Android too, again I could care less and more choice is always better.

/Rant

What makes you think Google can't show any special treatment to Moto? We all know what a company says and what they do is usually different. At this time they may be two separate entities but it wouldn't surprise me if as time goes on we see more and more of Google influence. Esp since the CEO of Google was at the last Moto announcement.

Would you mind explaining to me why these OEM would want to participate in a "nexus certification" program. Its honestly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Any OEM can drop stock Android on the hardware without problem so the ONLY difference here is that it will have a Nexus name on it. That isn't a premium name to begin with outside of this crowd. Seems like the nexus program in general is to find the person who can make the cheapest phone so I see no bonus to these OEM to participate in the slightest.

Edit - I'd also like to point out that Nexus is likely patented and owned by Google. So their name is on the line when these random phone makers put out a product. If one of them doesn't follow through with an update then it puts a bad taste in ppls mouth for the Nexus line. So having someone else handling updates other than Google for the Nexus line imo is a huge mistake and doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
In 5 years you will see a huge influance, but for now: China Clears Google's Motorola Deal - WSJ.com

Google WANTS to make Nexus a brand name. I think you are going to see a certification program with a huge push towards making it a brand. Right now you are perfectly correct, very few give a crap about AOSP, TW, Blur or whatever is on their phone. Google will want to change that. iOS is tied directly to iPhone and Android is tied to nothing and everything at the same time. Android is Sammy, moto, LG, everything. I think in the coming year or two you will see google make a bigger push to see Android tied directly to the Nexus. It fits in with the strategy so far.

A Nexus Tablet, a few phones, the "Q"...they are slowly working towards it and a certification program plays right into it.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In 5 years you will see a huge influance, but for now: China Clears Google's Motorola Deal - WSJ.com

Google WANTS to make Nexus a brand name. I think you are going to see a certification program with a huge push towards making it a brand. Right now you are perfectly correct, very few give a crap about AOSP, TW, Blur or whatever is on their phone. Google will want to change that. iOS is tied directly to iPhone and Android is tied to nothing and everything at the same time. Android is Sammy, moto, LG, everything. I think in the coming year or two you will see google make a bigger push to see Android tied directly to the Nexus. It fits in with the strategy so far.

A Nexus Tablet, a few phones, the "Q"...they are slowly working towards it and a certification program plays right into it.

I honestly don't see it. Maybe I am blind. But I don't see how Google or their OEMs can make money making the same phone 6 different times. I think the skins are here to stay and Google is very happy with it that way.

As for the Nexus, I think what they might be leaning towards is value. Time will tell on this but if they have the right price they will sell. I think the 7 is proof of that, I have no facts since idt they have announced that but I think the device has sold well. Add the failure of the Q and I think Google has an idea of how things should sell. Look at the price of the new chromebook. Its priced amazingly and will likely sell a lot more than the older version that was nearly twice the price.

I see no benefit for either Google or their partners to go to a "certification" program. If they flood the market with 18 different Nexus phones ppl will just get confused and I see no way they can make it stand out doing it that way.

I also do not see why Google wants to change the path of Android. They have something like 1.5 mill activations a day and that is because of TW, blur, etc. Why do they care if stock is on a phone that sells? As long its not a forked version of Android it makes no difference at all which version of Android sells to Google. At the end of the day they make money on their apps and ads.

Like I said, Maybe I'm blind. I do think they will continue with the Nexus program and maybe will attempt to make it a true competitor in the market, but I just can't wrap my head around a purpose for a certification program.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't see it. Maybe I am blind. But I don't see how Google or their OEMs can make money making the same phone 6 different times. I think the skins are here to stay and Google is very happy with it that way.

As for the Nexus, I think what they might be leaning towards is value. Time will tell on this but if they have the right price they will sell. I think the 7 is proof of that, I have no facts since idt they have announced that but I think the device has sold well. Add the failure of the Q and I think Google has an idea of how things should sell. Look at the price of the new chromebook. Its priced amazingly and will likely sell a lot more than the older version that was nearly twice the price.

I see no benefit for either Google or their partners to go to a "certification" program. If they flood the market with 18 different Nexus phones ppl will just get confused and I see no way they can make it stand out doing it that way.

I also do not see why Google wants to change the path of Android. They have something like 1.5 mill activations a day and that is because of TW, blur, etc. Why do they care if stock is on a phone that sells? As long its not a forked version of Android it makes no difference at all which version of Android sells to Google. At the end of the day they make money on their apps and ads.

Like I said, Maybe I'm blind. I do think they will continue with the Nexus program and maybe will attempt to make it a true competitor in the market, but I just can't wrap my head around a purpose for a certification program.

I don't think it is that Google wants the skins to be more popular it is just that the carriers will not buy any phones for which they cannot add in their bloated crap software and data tracking. Each carrier likes to make phones feel different and exclusive from the other carriers so skins and carrier exclusives are one of the only ways they can do this with android. I could see several nexus oem's but each of them on different carriers. Maybe you could pitch that to the carriers to get them to bite? However, I think Google 100% wants the nexus to be a consumer brand but the only way for them to accomplish this at the moment is via unlocked phones. The push for the nexus 7 and theoretically the nexus 4 to be affordable is to get as many people on android devices as possible. They want this for the Google Play store and ads but also the data gathered from their users using maps, gmail, google now, etc etc.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The skins are not going to go away...ever. You will always have them.

Google will make their money either way. Be it the play store or ads or whatever, you can take them making money out of the equation. Where the OEms make money is on the fact that it will NOT be the same phone. It will be 6 different sets of hardware with an equal OS, the promise of decent update times, The harware requirements will be slightly less BUT they can still chage a premium price. There is how the OEMs make the cash. Google sells the Nexus at either a loss or a very slim margin. An OEM come out with a upper mid-range phone, sell it for 150 more than a nexus sells for now and profit. If they make good harware and built reputation, they will get more repeat business and build brand loyalty. Another one of your concerns is valid. 18 different Nexus phones would be a disaster for everyone. I can see the Certification agreement being something along the lines of no more than 2 per carrier per year. How they choose to split them up is there business (One spring, one summer--a high and a low end, whatever).

There will not be any confusion, "The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2" will be very different from the "The Motorola Razr Nexus" No confusion. No fuss. Heck they could come out with a different name and just say it is a certified Nexus.

TW, Blur, LG, ARE forks of the Android ecosystem. They are not pure and we have already heard time and time again how Android is fragmented. Why wouldnt Google want to bring Android to a pure brand level? What would they have to lose?

In the end we all win with a Certification program. Consumers get choice, Touchwiz vs Nexus. This hardware by Sony or this hardware by HTC. Any combination of the above. This is a good thing isnt it?

wickets

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
on the 20th i did a speed test from my kitchen, gnex lte (<-----lte????? lmao) 0.71mbps dwn, 0.83mbps up. best evah was 1.16/1.13 FU samsung and all the other makers that install ^&#%@)! radios The lg on paper looks amazing and im going to buy one, but if the radios are bad its going straight back

reviewers of these phones unfortunately pay no attention to radio quality

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The skins are not going to go away...ever. You will always have them.

Google will make their money either way. Be it the play store or ads or whatever, you can take them making money out of the equation. Where the OEms make money is on the fact that it will NOT be the same phone. It will be 6 different sets of hardware with an equal OS, the promise of decent update times, The harware requirements will be slightly less BUT they can still chage a premium price. There is how the OEMs make the cash. Google sells the Nexus at either a loss or a very slim margin. An OEM come out with a upper mid-range phone, sell it for 150 more than a nexus sells for now and profit. If they make good harware and built reputation, they will get more repeat business and build brand loyalty. Another one of your concerns is valid. 18 different Nexus phones would be a disaster for everyone. I can see the Certification agreement being something along the lines of no more than 2 per carrier per year. How they choose to split them up is there business (One spring, one summer--a high and a low end, whatever).

There will not be any confusion, "The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2" will be very different from the "The Motorola Razr Nexus" No confusion. No fuss. Heck they could come out with a different name and just say it is a certified Nexus.

TW, Blur, LG, ARE forks of the Android ecosystem. They are not pure and we have already heard time and time again how Android is fragmented. Why wouldnt Google want to bring Android to a pure brand level? What would they have to lose?

In the end we all win with a Certification program. Consumers get choice, Touchwiz vs Nexus. This hardware by Sony or this hardware by HTC. Any combination of the above. This is a good thing isnt it?

I think one of us don't understand what forked means. It might be me, idk. But my understanding is more what Amazon has done, they have not only changed Android significantly but they use their own ecosystem(App store). So Google won't get profits that way also.

The phone makers atm mostly use the same parts, so it may not be 6 identical phones but its 6 phones that are very similar. It would be like if Apple made the iPhone 5 and Samsung made the 4S. Its basically selling against itself with minor changes.

They pretty much already went head to head with Verizon, Galaxy Nexus vs the GS2 and its pretty clear the GS2 won. So I think the "test" could be over.

I think fragmentation is just a figment of our imagination. The normal person doesn't even know what version they are running. We all know that we want the latest and greatest but lets use Jerry's example of humans on the planet. Iirc he said there was a billion phone users on the planet, this site just hit 1 million. So in the grand scheme of things ppl just want a phone that works and don't care that it runs Android or ios or wp, they look at a phone, they like it, they buy it, they expect it to just work.

I think those who want a "certification" program aren't rly thinking of the logistics or points behind it and simply wanting it because they themselves want a specific type of Nexus.

I mean someone might have a logical reason for this to make sense but I don't see it. Even if Google wanted it, which I don't see how they could since they make money no matter what sells, I don't see why the phone makers want it unless Google is helping them with coding. Because in the end they will still have to fully design a phone and spend money on making that phone, then adding the software and spend more money getting it working properly, then if it fails ppl are going to be pointing fingers at Google. All the while they would still need to be designing their own phone models alongside of it.

I keep hearing Google wants the skins to go away but I see no indication from that on anything they do. To me it looks like Android is doing exactly what it was built for. I think right now Google seems to be focusing on trying to make their OWN hardware successful because lets face it....Google wouldn't have any benefit at all to 5 Nexus unless they paid to make all 5 of them and sold them themselves.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site

/Rant

although you make great points... I feel like its somewhere in the middle. (this is all speculation)

I think google wants a phone that can compete directly with the iphone in regards to compatibility, ease of use, updates, and popularity with a name brand. iphone vs Nexus.
I do think that google loves having android as an open source and I too believe the skins are here to stay with other manufacturers. This is what is going to set them apart. and still give people options. I understand that Moto is a seperate company... but I like to believe that google just didnt waste there money full of resourses. They should utilize this company and have them soly make the Nexus line in the future. and other companys (sam, HTC, LG, etc) can make there own skins, compatibilities, and possibly app stores like amazon.

Its hard to say what google is going to do... but back to the main point. I just want Google to figure it out... and I want these Manufactures figure out how to make good radios for both GSM and CDMA networks. Regardless of who makes the Nexus.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The GSM version of the GN has a poor radio as well? I thought this was limited to CDMA phones :(

My friend has the GN on Tmo and my HTC one S is still faster than it. I had a samsung vibrant before and couldnt stay on 4G for the life of me. I personally wont go back to samsung until I see real proof of an improved radio

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My friend has the GN on Tmo and my HTC one S is still faster than it. I had a samsung vibrant before and couldnt stay on 4G for the life of me. I personally wont go back to samsung until I see real proof of an improved radio

Believe the reason for that is the One S has capable speeds of 42+ while the GN only has 21+. Idrk why its soooo much slower with 21+ even though it should technically get 21 down, but its a lot slower in comparison to my S3 as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173