If there's no removable battery, then what do I do if my phone freezes?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
All you need to do is hold down the power button down until it reboots on most devices without removable batteries.

This. If I ever panic with my Nexus 7, I just hold that sweet power button until I see the beautiful Google splash screen :).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm not holding it down long enough. Does this only work during a freeze?

That's actually a good question. I've only ever done it when it froze. I presume there would be an override, similar to PCs and such, but there's only one way to find out..

(If I weren't scared to death of losing power right now I'd be more than willing to try it lol)

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You have to hold the power button for like 12 seconds on most Samsung devices to make them reset. I would assume it would be the same with the Nexus phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You have to hold the power button for like 12 seconds on most Samsung devices to make them reset. I would assume it would be the same with the Nexus phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I held it down for more than 12 seconds, and still nothing.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
That's actually a good question. I've only ever done it when it froze. I presume there would be an override, similar to PCs and such, but there's only one way to find out..

(If I weren't scared to death of losing power right now I'd be more than willing to try it lol)

My S2 shows menu when i press power button but when i hold longer it forcly turns off

If it's implemented it should work no matter the state of the system, this independent feature of motherboard as it should work even with broken CPU any other components freak out in unpredictable way or else it's would ineffective and pointless, as for example it can freze by software issue but for hardware CPU works normally, just running broken code. The same way PC works, regardless how power button function is overrided, it will turn off no matter what PC is doing

There might be few exceptions, i heared about sleep of death when system crash on sleep and even power button won't help it... but thats might be design flaw of preticilar model:p

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Since the GN has a removeable battery it might not be setup to power down this way.....I did try it with my N7 a few mins ago and sure enough after about 10 seconds it rebooted.

Perhaps you're right. I'll feel much better about the Nexus 4 having a sealed battery if it does have this feature, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

grahambhg

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I can freeze up a phone (usually without doing ANYTHING to the phone!!!!) so bad it does not recognize ANY buttons, even if I lean on them for an hour. If I get the N4 and it freezes like that, I will resort to performing a batteryectomy.

Richard P

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Push and hold power button, the phone will reboot. Works with phones with removable batteries too.

This is not a universal truth - it may work on your phone, but that does not mean all of them. More importantly, this is a software feature - it's there if the ROM developer put it there - meaning some phones would have it and others wouldn't. But this is the really important bit - unlike a hardware reset,(like the reset button on a PC) a soft reset ONLY works if that piece of code is executed. If the phone is frozen, it may not do it because it's stuck in a loop and never watching the button or the sequence of buttons.

That's why removing the battery works - you reboot the ROM from scratch.

Personally, I don't care about a battery being removable, as long as there is some way of performing a hardware reset. It's possible, but it costs more to implement than simply making the battery removable.Removable batteries ARE going to die, because Li-Po batteries are so much lighter and more powerful than NiMh or Li-Ion. However, LiPo batteries need to be sealed away from the user because they can burn in an extremely dangerous manner if punctured - for all practical purposes, it could be called an explosion. LiPo batteries used by RC modellers have caused house fires, - serious fires that in some cases have completely burned down the house.

My personal needs dictate that unless I can find a phone with a hardware reset, I'll be chasing removable batteries, even if it means I'm not buying the latest technology.

Best Regards,
Richard.

Richard P

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
There might be few exceptions, i heared about sleep of death when system crash on sleep and even power button won't help it... but thats might be design flaw of preticilar model:p

That would be because that's a soft reset. A hard reset would reboot the phone no matter what it's doing, as long as it has power.

Perhaps the question we should be asking is not which phones have removable batteries, but which phones have a true hardware reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC