10-31-2012 02:45 PM
31 12
tools
    I have a quick question, would it be possible to use the new nexus 7 as a 7 inch cell phone?
    https://play.google.com/store/device...us_7_32gb_hspa
    10-30-2012 11:36 AM
    I only mention BBM because it's probably the only thing exclusive to BlackBerry that keeps people using it. I was helping a friend set up a new, unlocked BlackBerry. I asked her to check her data connectivity by sending a BBM to someone. "I don't have anymore BBM friends..."
    Ha ha. Oh man that is a sad story.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    10-30-2012 01:08 PM
    Well my dad is on bbm and I haven't really come across a solid alternative to bbm. Whatsapp would get the job done but it doesn't seem very fast or even nice on the BlackBerry. Just to be clear I need to have solid and reliable communication with my dad. The delivery and read receipts on bbm are also terrific.

Apart from that I'm just addicted to the BlackBerry keyboard. I've tried Swype, swift key and the default keyboard but to be honest I still prefer the BlackBerry keyboard.

I'm asking because given the level of overlap there is between the two nexus devices, it seems unreasonable to put down $309 (cad) just so I can get 3.5G internet. What is there that the nexus 4 can do that the nexus 7 can't? I can carry my nexus 7 quite easily in my pockets and have Wi-Fi most of the time.

There's no doubt that the n4 is a lot better than my bold 9700 but a better comparison is between the two combos I mentioned earlier. In order to make this comparison I ask what significant advantages would the n4 offer over the n7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Kik Messenger is an awesome BBM replacement. Available on Android, IOS, Windows Phone, etc. I've been using it for years. Has delivered and read tags just like BBM too.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    10-30-2012 01:17 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying out the different apps and seeing how they work with my dad's BlackBerry.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    10-31-2012 01:26 PM
    I'm fine with my old BlackBerry Bold 9700 but it would be nice to have a phone that I can use to connect my nexus 7 to the internet with, which my BlackBerry can't do. However it seems like there would be a lot of overlap between the nexus 4 and 7. What do you think?
    Are there things your Blackberry Bold can do that a Nexus could not? Do you have $300 or $350 that you feel would be well-spent in order to get tethering for your Nexus 7?

If the answer is "no" and "yes" respectively, then give in now and join the "8GB or 16GB?" thread (hint: 16GB. Always choose more memory)
    10-31-2012 02:03 PM
    I have a quick question, would it be possible to use the new nexus 7 as a 7 inch cell phone?
    https://play.google.com/store/device...us_7_32gb_hspa
    Well, yeah, kinda sorta.

You could get a VoIP application or Skype or something and make and receive phone calls that way. The built-in speaker and mic should work fine, but the world will be your speakerphone victim. You can get a headset, but understand that the wired headsets that come with microphones won't work on the Nexus 7. The N7's headphone port is a headphone-only port, no microphone circuit in it. Of course, there's no reason you couldn't use a headphone and the built-in microphone just fine.
    10-31-2012 02:45 PM
31 12