Will 8GB suffice?

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The shipping and taxes of the 16GB Nexus 4 will come up to be about $385 for me, since that was the same price for the Galaxy Nexus for me.
However, using the same calculations, the 8GB Nexus 4 will come up to be ~$345 for me, case and all.
So, I was wondering,
should ~8GB be enough storage for me??
I stream my music, but have about 1GB I like to keep with me.
I love apps and games, however, I use Link2SD on my Optimus V, so I don't know what the ~120 apps I have would translate to in real storage.
D:
Opinions?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The shipping and taxes of the 16GB Nexus 4 will come up to be about $385 for me, since that was the same price for the Galaxy Nexus for me.
However, using the same calculations, the 8GB Nexus 4 will come up to be ~$345 for me, case and all.
So, I was wondering,
should ~8GB be enough storage for me??
I stream my music, but have about 1GB I like to keep with me.
I love apps and games, however, I use Link2SD on my Optimus V, so I don't know what the ~120 apps I have would translate to in real storage.
D:
Opinions?

What size card do you use on your Optimus V?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I always get more than I think I need and get the biggest storage available so I wont regret it later on but thats's just me. I'm getting the 16GB so I don't have any worries.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
to put in perspective.... I have an HTC one S (16GB)
the phone itself takes up 3.86GB (including Sense... so it will be slighly smaller on the Nexus)
I have no music on my phone... Just apps, Photos, and some videos I took. and that is only 2.04GB used
that leaves me 10GB still left on my phone that I dont use... and if it was an 8GB phone Id still have 2GB left

So its your choice...

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
not for me I have a 32 gig and this says it all I have more music in the cloud and I'm gonna get more rooms 16 gigs I had a 16 gig card and filled it

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351562857919.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351562857919.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 55

metaldood

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have 2GB LTE data plan on my S3. I have a commute of 35 mins one way. Just for the shizzle I tried streaming cloud/spotify every day for the whole commute both ways... Guess what? I am almost out of data in 20 days. If Samsung goes the route of no-SD then we are all doomed.

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Jerry's piece about 8GB being enough is good and I would like to agree, but I have the Mytouch 4G with 4GB and external storage and I have had to be conscience on what goes on my phone as two years has almost past. I would rather spend $50 dollars now and get more storage than the probable chance that I wish I had more 1 to 2 years later. When it comes to phones (especially on a contract) I don't think about compromises or savings but rather what will the phone be like a year to two years from now.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I know it's not convenient but there is always the USB OTG if you need to haul around some really large files like movies etc. Personally, I couldn't cripple a phone of this caliber with anything less than 16gb.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm perfectly fine with 8GB, I don't have a ton of apps and I rely on the cloud for music. If I need to store songs on my phone I just pin and unpin them through Google Music as I see fit.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have 2GB LTE data plan on my S3. I have a commute of 35 mins one way. Just for the shizzle I tried streaming cloud/spotify every day for the whole commute both ways... Guess what? I am almost out of data in 20 days. If Samsung goes the route of no-SD then we are all doomed.
make 3Gb of frequent music offline and you will save 1.5 Gb data every month. 16 gb is still enough in my opinion.

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
no way that would work for me. I just got back from a trip, and I've got 10.5 gb free on my 32gb SGS3. About 7 of those are photos from the trip, but even without those I'd be tight on space even with 16gb. And all my music except ring tones are on my external sd.

ilkhan

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My 8GB N7 has 2.75GB available right now.
My 16GB GNex has 9.56GB available right now.

I'll probably grab the 16GB version of the N4 just for the extra $25-30 resale value in a year and the possibility of games filling it up. But $299 is tempting.

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm debating this but now that I think about it, I was going to pay 300$ for the 8S which only have 4GB of memory so is still amazing deal. How much space does one of those Gameloft games take? (They look really good so I guess they are like 2GBs right? :O )

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
8GB would be enough for me. But I always get the feeling I might need to turn on the video capture to do some citizen journalism and you never know with these things how long you should record and going at a 1080p 20Mbps rate you could probably only record half an hour before you max out. Hmm now that I think about it, just general stupid videos there would only be 30 minutes worth at 1080p. Okay maybe it won't be enough for anything video related...

garfnodie

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I was on Sprint, and then T-Mobile, and now back to Sprint, and neither one has good enough coverage where I live for me to be able to trust streaming music services. I just got a 64gb card the other day and I've already put 10gb of music on it, and I've only just begun to go through my 27,000+ mp3's to find what I want to put on the phone. I deliver pizza four nights a week, and have a 42 mile drive (one way) to school three days a week, so I need all the music I can get. I can tell you that even a 32gb version wouldn't be enough for me.