Why does Google not have a physical "storefront" for Nexus devices?

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
The one thing for me about the Nexus lineup is that the unlocked Nexus phones don't have a physical "storefront" where they can be tried out and purchased. Google has already done it for the Nexus 7 (via retail partners), so I can only imagine that it's possible to do that for the Nexus 4 (more than possible for the Nexus 10). Anyone else have an opinion on being able to purchase an unlocked Nexus phone "offline"?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Unlike tablets, unlocked phones aren't sold in major retail outlets. Besides T-Mobile I can't see any retail store where you could buy a Nexus 4. Anyway, the fact that it's a Nexus device is good enough for me. I don't have to physically try it out or feel it to know I'm going to be happy with it but thats just me.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
It'd just increase the cost of the device because the store's cost would be internalized to the phone. I agree it'd be nice if Google partnered with some retailers to sell, but having the Play Store option is the next best thing. It's just not in Google's business model to be building physical stores and having a retail presence.

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree it'd be nice if Google partnered with some retailers to sell, but having the Play Store option is the next best thing. It's just not in Google's business model to be building physical stores and having a retail presence.

I do agree with that stance. The good news is that apparently the Nexus 4 will sold at T-Mo (which should be the same as the Play Store), so I could always waltz in there before purchasing on the Play Store (did the exact same thing with the GN2, except only because my carrier won't have it until the 9th.)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The nexus line and chromobooks do not have a demand high enough to warrant a store unfortunately at this time. Nexus name has not establish itself with the masses.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Google isn't really interested in the overhead it takes to open brick and mortar stores. Much easier to keep it online. I guess they figure you can go into a T-Mobile store to get a Nexus 4 if you really want to.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but in the mean time I would suggest heading down to Sprint or AT&T in order to get your hands on the kind of hardware we're expecting for the Nexus 4, especially that best in class display. As for the tablets, a few Wal-Marts in my area actually had the N7 on display, and I can hope that soon the Nexus 10 will be sitting beside it.

magesh_magi1

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree, if Google is pricing the mobile at competitive price they should go the extra mile by having a store front. Users need to know some quality phone branded as Google is available the area. Not everyone sees internet but people see stores. Google should market aggressively to make sure their flagship product reaches not only developers but also the users.

hectorbribiesca

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
if im not mistaking, Google is just starting to mainstream its nexus devices to the public and not just geeks but to ordinary users as well, by putting NEXUS across all the devices! There's a reason why Google is not using a SD card and making its OS friendlier to your not so tech savvy user! by simplifying its stock android it will attract more android users to the nexus line! IMO

LoSes

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree, if Google is pricing the mobile at competitive price they should go the extra mile by having a store front. Users need to know some quality phone branded as Google is available the area. Not everyone sees internet but people see stores. Google should market aggressively to make sure their flagship product reaches not only developers but also the users.

I think that competitive price precludes them from having a store front. I also don't think they even plan on selling the kind of volume that would even make the expense worthwhile. I will admit that I wish there was the ability to take a damaged Nexus device and have it quickly exchanged for a new one a'la Apple.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
if im not mistaking, Google is just starting to mainstream its nexus devices to the public and not just geeks but to ordinary users as well, by putting NEXUS across all the devices! There's a reason why Google is not using a SD card and making its OS friendlier to your not so tech savvy user! by simplifying its stock android it will attract more android users to the nexus line! IMO

Ah, you have to love the flexibility of Android. You can make it easy enough for newbs, yet robust enough for geeks.

gregmcph

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Do the odd "Flash Store", which Samsung has done a bit of, and Microsoft did with the Surface... open a store for just a couple of days to generate a bit of buzz.

A permanent Google Store? I'd imagine walking in there and asking the staff lots of questions. "Where did I park my car?"

jeandyangrand

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice but stores /partners would want profit which would make the phone cost more. So why not just pop into a T-Mobile store and try it out before purchasing.

magesh_magi1

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha. Now I can understand why Google is hesitant about opening stores.
Imagine a shop with Google logo in a prime shopping area. Wouldn't that be an Ad..You know Google need some advertisement :p
Do the odd "Flash Store", which Samsung has done a bit of, and Microsoft did with the Surface... open a store for just a couple of days to generate a bit of buzz.

A permanent Google Store? I'd imagine walking in there and asking the staff lots of questions. "Where did I park my car?"

ramonm2

Dec 23, 2010
ramonm2.blogspot.com
So if they did have a store would it be called Google Store, Google Play Store, Play Store, Googles R US, G-Mart, Android Market?

Also I like the idea of Google selling devices to customers. Imagine for instance sorta like Best Buy or Radio Shack. Their employees sell all four major carriers. I can see this working if more companies do what Samsung did. Make one phone and make it available to all carriers. You just show up select a phone/tablet, select a carrier. E-Z P-Z.

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Can't imagine them making a store but I'd think having a few kiosks in key markets would be advantageous. At their prices Nexus/Chromebook is practically an impulse buy and would help move Nexus away from being a tech nerd only brand.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad