People currently with 4G LTE

F123D

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Would / are you willing to give up LTE and switch to hspa+ to use the Nexus 4? Or is no LTE a deal breaker for you?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Would / are you willing to give up LTE and switch to hspa+ to use the Nexus 4? Or is no LTE a deal breaker for you?

This is all subjective to area but I wouldn't just because tmobile isn't that great In ny area and at&ts service is spotty at best

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I gave up a razr on Verizon with lte coverage at home/work for a galaxy note on straight talk. With wifi most places and hspa+ 21 its not that big of a deal. Difference in me spending $125+ a month vs $50. Lte isn't worth $75 extra a month to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Yes I will give up my LTE because I rarely use it. LTE drains battery life and 3G speeds are good enough for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had LTE for about 4 months. Initially, you get hooked on speed, but then you start to realize the trade offs. Battery life, only available in cities, ripping through your data plan (if you are going to use it a lot, you'd better be on an unlimited plan!).

Personally, I find it a "nice to have" feature. I plan to buy a Nexus 4, primarily to use for International travel, but I won't rule out switching to it full time if I can find a GSM carrier with good coverage in my area at a resonable, off contract, price.

hyped89

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a question regarding AT&T's network. I'm currently using the GS3, I drove around until the phone connected to hspa+ (no lte), and got 6.5mbps down and 1.5 up, which is more than enough for me. My question is will the nexus 4 connect to the hspa+ network where ever I currently connect to the LTE network with my GS3? Or are there just random pockets of hspa+ and the rest is just regular 3g?

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
This is a good question. I've got the GS3 with AT&T and speeds have been awesome. I'm in the DC area. Get HSPA+ at the office and LTE at home. I came over from Sprint about 4 months ago and have been extremely impressed. Even with the HSPA+ speeds. However, sometimes I notice the HSPA+ gets bogged down. Hangs a bit when trying to load browser pages and so on. I have never once had a problem with LTE. I know people complain about their battery with LTE, but on days that I'm home on LTE, I can still get my battery to last 12-14 hours. It's pretty awesome. My speeds are pretty consistent on HSPA+ around 7mbps down and 1 up. Not great, but still pretty good. LTE is blazing at over 17 down and over 5 up.

That is what makes the switch so tough. However, I really miss having a nexus device. I have the Nexus7, but I really do like the Nexus4. So I'm most likely going to pull the trigger and see how it is. My experience with the GS3 has been great, but having pure 4.2 has got to be awesome. Once I test it out I'll make a decision on which device I'll keep.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have my phone through work (Galaxy Nexus on VZW) and I can switch between AT&T and Verizon whenever I want. I was prepared to switch to AT&T to get the Nexus 4 but I think I will probably just stick with the Galaxy Nexus after some thought. Right now I have LTE, unlimited data, always latest version of Android since I run Bugless Beast, 32GB of storage, etc. If I switched I would get a better camera, quicker phone, no unlimited data, much slower data speeds (especially with HSPA+ on AT&T, I know T-Mobile is decent), 16GB storage.

I just don't think it's worth it for me to give up unlimited data and go down to 1.5-3mb down. I've never seen good speeds on AT&T with HSPA+ around here. The main draw would be the latest version of Android which I already have.

I'll still think about it but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons at this point.

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I have the GS3 on Verizon 4G LTE and I think I am making the switch.
The 4G in my area is blazing fast, however, my per month price is much higher than I want it to be since I am now paying more for limited data. Although I called Verizon customer service and they offered to discount my $50/5GB plan to $40 for the year (saving me $120), and have the price go back up to $50 a year later. Still not worth it.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

No, it's a deal breaker for me. I’m surrounded by Verizon LTE with grandfathered unlimited data yet, not to mention they have the best cell service where I live, so I’d be crazy to give that up. It’s moot anyway as even if the Nexus 4 were available on Verizon with LTE, the non user-replaceable battery is the bigger deal breaker. I want the CHOICE of being able to swap out for a fresh battery on the fly and tether to a charge as a last resort.

hyped89

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting 7mbps down on AT&T's HSPA+ network in south florida, if the coverage is similar to 4g, there's no doubt I'm getting the Nexus.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My wife has the Galaxy S3, I've tried out her phone with LTE, while the speeds are fantastic, it's a huge battery hog and I turned it off her phone to save battery. If I had it on my phone I would probably keep it off most of the time too. In addition, I'm on wifi at home and work so 90% of the time i'd be on wifi anyway.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Yes. Absolutely.

Of course, I have an HTC Thunderbolt, which is one of the first actual implementations of LTE, and it sucks.

But even so, I'd rather have software updates and lack of carrier bloat than accept the compromises necessary to get LTE, which requires carrier intervention in the software.

My next phone WILL BE A NEXUS, and if that requires ditching LTE to keep carriers from interfering with software upgrades, so be it.

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I would give up LTE on Verizon to go to Tmobile since my kids get good signal and speeds on their phones, the question is when we travel to Cali, Texas or leave the Phoenix area then Verizon has 3G while my kids don't have nothing. I love being able to listen to Pandora or Slacker without issues while on the road. And now with less storage on phones, how will having Music on the cloud help without a signal?

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Sprint. I have the CDMA Galaxy Nexus. I had the Nexus S before it.

Google has flat out alienated me.

I have a CDMA carrier, I'm happy, I'm on a family plan heavily discounted through my employer, I'm not leaving.

These excuses by Google simply don't fly with me.

You can't allow me to purchase two prior great nexus devices, and then when the next generation comes out, say sorry, GSM only...

That sh!t just stinks. And it stinks bad.

It's alienation, period.

There's no good excuse here, period.

It cost extra to add a radio? Bull sh!t, Samsung didn't have any issue. Hell, LG has a flipping LTE phone coming out right beside this one, just skinned!

Failed user experience? I love my galaxy nexus!

Slow android updates sure to carrier compatibility? WHAT THE EFF IS APPLE DOING? NEW iOS, Update rolls out, you plug that sh!t into iTunes, and its done!

Seriously, this just bums me out.

All excuses are a dog and pony show...that's a fact.

What's next? The GS4 GSM only?

.....get real Google, we all know this has nothing to do with manufacturing costs, user experiences, etc.

I think LG has a major roll with this flop, and you don't want to hurt their feelings be saying do.

No CDMA nexus... what the crap is that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

I have a CDMA carrier, I'm happy, I'm on a family plan heavily discounted through my employer, I'm not leaving.

You can't allow me to purchase two prior great nexus devices, and then when the next generation comes out, say sorry, GSM only...

It's alienation, period.

It cost extra to add a radio? Bull sh!t, Samsung didn't have any issue. Hell, LG has a flipping LTE phone coming out right beside this one, just skinned!

Slow android updates sure to carrier compatibility? WHAT THE EFF IS APPLE DOING? NEW iOS, Update rolls out, you plug that sh!t into iTunes, and its done!

.....get real Google, we all know this has nothing to do with manufacturing costs, user experiences, etc.

I think LG has a major roll with this flop, and you don't want to hurt their feelings be saying do.

I agree I rather have a nexus and get updates weeks late on a cdma carrier then no nexus at all and I agree why can Apple push updates on Sprint and Verizon no problem but Google had problems in the past

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

It's alienation, period.

I'm sorry....Where is the LTE Samsung phone for $299? I missed the boat on that one!

You sir are an upset child whining because you can't have what you want. Its plain and simple. The excuses are not a "dog and pony show". They are what they are.

So if this has nothing to do with costs, user experience, or etc? Did they just magically roll a die and that was the way they decided? Is that your theory here?

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry....Where is the LTE Samsung phone for $299? I missed the boat on that one!

You sir are an upset child whining because you can't have what you want. Its plain and simple. The excuses are not a "dog and pony show". They are what they are.

So if this has nothing to do with costs, user experience, or etc? Did they just magically roll a die and that was the way they decided? Is that your theory here?

First of all I left LTE out of this discussion..

And I leave theory to the theorists..

Read over my post again, maybe it will sink in this time.

This is strictly a situation where there had been no issues with providing a CDMA nexus TWICE before, and now they are just going to make it one sided.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol