[Read This] Pre-Paid Answers [Info Here]

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I got a question. What can I do if I want to make or receive international calls? I have my mother in the Dominican Republic and I call her a lot. I'll be in Solavei, what are my options?

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Man people are giving the blogger that talk about Solavei a really hard time because is a Pyramid Scheme. But hey as long as I'm not forced to bring anyone I'll stick with it.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I got a question. What can I do if I want to make or receive international calls? I have my mother in the Dominican Republic and I call her a lot. I'll be in Solavei, what are my options?

Hmm idk a lot about Solavei but idt it has that ability. What about getting her to use Skype? Skype to skype calls are free, or Google chat could work too.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Let me get this straight... one SIM card from a pre-paid carrier, -> you get a new phone number -> you let that plan expire, try some one else, get another SIM get assigned another new phone number... no problem Google Voice handled all your call forwards... but you decide to go back to pre-paid carrier #1, you reinsert you first SIM, put some credits on it and your first number gets reactivated? Or, do I need to get a new sim from first carrier and get a third number...?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Let me get this straight... one SIM card from a pre-paid carrier, -> you get a new phone number -> you let that plan expire, try some one else, get another SIM get assigned another new phone number... no problem Google Voice handled all your call forwards... but you decide to go back to pre-paid carrier #1, you reinsert you first SIM, put some credits on it and your first number gets reactivated? Or, do I need to get a new sim from first carrier and get a third number...?

It might work....But prepaid tend to disable the SIM card when you end service so it can't be activated again.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Fair Warning -- The links to Android and Me have a lot of misinformation, and more importantly, affiliate links.

I'm sorry Jerry. I'm certainly not an affiliate marketer...

I'll remove the links as soon as I get a chance.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Fair Warning -- The links to Android and Me have a lot of misinformation, and more importantly, affiliate links.

Actually I have to ask, you weren't implying I was embedding affiliate links were you? Or does that site in general use them?

I'm just trying to arrange this information for everyone, like we do at XDA - because its really effective.

*shrug*

Oh well.

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
My mother doesn't even know what Google is. I guess I'll stick to calling her via international cards.

If your mother has a smartphone, there are plenty of apps that use voip technology in order to communicate. I use a variety of apps that allow me to communicate and stay in contact with the family I have in Mexico. We mainly use Viber, and sometimes Skype, to text and call each other all for the low price of free! You should look into the app. Both of the mentioned apps have some of the lowest international rates I've seen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually I have to ask, you weren't implying I was embedding affiliate links were you? Or does that site in general use them?

I'm just trying to arrange this information for everyone, like we do at XDA - because its really effective.

*shrug*

Oh well.

no, not you :)

Just warning people about affiliate links originating from that site. Affiliate links are a pet peeve of mine.
You've done a service starting this thread up :)

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
no, not you :)

Just warning people about affiliate links originating from that site. Affiliate links are a pet peeve of mine.
You've done a service starting this thread up :)

Thanks Jerry, I don't like AM links either. It's one thing if it's out in the open or for a really important non-profit to finance their mission, but when its hidden as advice its as shady as ... the jungle?

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I wish she had one. But my mom is very old and didn't grew with any tecnology, she doesn't care much about it either, she just like her soap operas hehehe. With the money I'll be saving I'll buy some cards to call her =).

Edit: He probably mean that Solavei post that gave his viewers a link so they because part of his Pyramid Scheme. While I'll personally be going to be part of Solavei is pretty low for him to do that, he lost credibilities in an effort to make a few bucks.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I wish she had one. But my mom is very old and didn't grew with any tecnology, she doesn't care much about it either, she just like her soap operas hehehe. With the money I'll be saving I'll buy some cards to call her =).

I don't mean this as a derogatory statement towards your Mum or WP in anyway, but you can pick up a Focus Flash for really cheap (works great on Straight Talk) and she could probably pick it up no problem. I recommended WP to my Mum because the "People Hub" is something that I assessed to be very useful for her, and as it turns out she loves it. :D

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
No problem. Windows Phone has being my first and only smartphone experience and I got it especially because I didn't knew anything about them. I'll give her that option once she is in the states but for now I don't think it should work.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
That chart helped me solidify my decision to use Straight Talk on the AT&T network once I get my N4. thank you for providing that.

Motorola Photon 4G

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Bump with revisions! Check out the chart in the OP, you will not be disappointed!!!!

Crikey! That new chart is a monster! Won't even fit across my humongous monitor, but is chock full of comparison details for a crapload of carriers. Thanks for that.

As awesome as it is, the net result is that it looks like everything is pretty much going through CDMA (Verizon, Sprint), GSM (T-Mo, AT&T), or iDEN (Nextel), with only a couple of Nexus 7-compatible (GSM) options.

Breaking it down by network:

Service: Price with data, Data Limit

AT&T: $75, 1GB.
Straight Talk: $45, Unlimited (probably realistically about 2GB-ish)

T-Mobile: $50-70, Unlimited, Unlimited, Unlimited, Unlimited but drops from 4G earlier when you spend less.
Net10: $50, Unlimited (no idea on caps)
Walmart Family: $45, 100 MB (0.10GB) <--- ouch
Straight Talk: Not mentioned on chart, but same price as the AT&T version with T-Mo's coverage instead of AT&T's.

So based on the massive amount of data in that chart, it's Straight Talk (with your choice of T-Mo or AT&T based on your coverage needs) FTW! It's the cheapest of any of them, and has the most data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers