I have a Nexus 4, you have questions. Fire away.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil - any idea what that rubber looking thing surrounding the LED is and what its purpose is?

You mean the flash? Believe it's to keep the light leaking out onto the camera sensor. (In the 13MP version of the Optimus G, the lens is ringed instead.)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Is it Toni Braxton "Unbreak My Heart" fragile, or more like BJ Armstrong has a melt down and "drops" his guitar on concrete "of course it would crack" fragile?

Edit: Just watched the "Unbreak My Heart" video w/ no sound, too funny. The guy in the beginning (who ends up walking around with a wind swept unbottoned shirt the rest of the video) looks cool even when she picks up his broken head.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

LMAO. I haven't had any unfortunate incidents yet, though I do see a couple of hairline scratches.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to look before I buy it?
No. Read reviews. Or find people who have one. ;)

Hi,

I know this is very unlikely, but any chance Google decided to adopt the iPhone standard for the 3.5mm headphone jack since no one makes Android headphones? (in other words, does the iPhone's headphones' 3 buttons work on it, or only the middle one?)

I'm expecting a "no", but thought I'd ask.

Most that I've used work, for basic functions : answer, hang up.

If JB doesn't, just buy Headset Control app. It lets you program a boatload of functions for the button.

barguast

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Phil. Thanks for doing this. A lot of the reviews so far have been a bit inconsistent in regards to battery life. On top of that, they're suggesting some poor performance and overheating issues which is a bit concerning. I know benchmarks aren't anything (they're significantly lower that the Optimus G), but it appears to be having an effect - Chrome appears to lag quite a bit, and is of course the default browser. Can you give us any pre-review indications of whether this has been an issue for you? Thanks.

[Reposted as it may have been overlooked, and a few people seems to have similar concerns]

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a silly question, but how does the screen compare to the one on the iPhone 4? Yes I know I'm stuck in the past with my device, but the display is still pretty. I've read in a review that the black values are better than on the iPhone, but most reviews just seem to forget to add facts about the display, instead they only state that it looks "nice" or whatever, not exactly helpful for a phone that you most likely won't be able to preview in any store.
There's also another thing that concerns me, but it might be offtopic at this point: What kind of earphones with microphone work on this device? I tried to do some research on that, but the only things I figured out were that the Apple ones don't work, and that some of the earphones that do work either don't work properly or only work on some android phones.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out with that.

mayastig

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
This is a silly question, but how does the screen compare to the one on the iPhone 4? Yes I know I'm stuck in the past with my device, but the display is still pretty. I've read in a review that the black values are better than on the iPhone, but most reviews just seem to forget to add facts about the display, instead they only state that it looks "nice" or whatever, not exactly helpful for a phone that you most likely won't be able to preview in any store.
There's also another thing that concerns me, but it might be offtopic at this point: What kind of earphones with microphone work on this device? I tried to do some research on that, but the only things I figured out were that the Apple ones don't work, and that some of the earphones that do work either don't work properly or only work on some android phones.

im guessing the same will apply for the N4 as the current gnex - the three button headphones wont work as their usually designed for apple products. my ipod earphones dont work with my nexus. your safer looking at the one button mics, like the bose mie2, a-jays one+ and the like.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

It's roughly 1.2 inches bigger.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Seeing how you have had it for a few days now, how is the battery life? Last you through a day with decent/heavy use?

Also, have you tried/compared Chrome browser since the new update?

Anthimus

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The question below has been asked 3 times now in this thread.

Guys, I am not trying to be snarky, but is there a reason this question is being overlooked? I am sure everyone is busy, but the thread was put out there to get Nexus 4 questions answered. Below is a great question that I and others would love to see answered. :D

Thanks as always for your time!

Matt

any news on 4.2 (for the galaxy nexus hopefully!) or the Nexus 4 having avrcp 1.3 or 1.4?

specifically looking for meta data being displayed on a cars stereo over bluetooth

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Does the Google Music player allow for gapless streaming of music you've uploaded to the cloud? I should test this on my Nexus 7 but i'm not at home right now, I tried through my iPhone using the browser and there was a gap between songs.

Sorry this is more of a general question but didn't want to start a new thread just for this and couldn't find a similar question someplace else.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My bad, I meant the display quality not the size. :)

Ya, I knew that. :D But I'm a smart***.

He's answered this a few times but I would say that everybody's eyes are different and its hard to tell whats good to you. He basically said its very close to as good as the One X screen, perhaps you can take a trip to the store and compare it to the iPhone 4 to get a better idea of differences.

Wonder if the N4 will be at TMO Stores?

T-Mobile Posts Nexus 4 Sign Up Page, Get Notified When It’s Available | | TmoNewsTmoNews

Available via Google Play on 11/13 and in select T-Mobile retail stores and online starting 11/14

does the phone has tap to top gesture ?? not just on certain apps but throughout the phone.????

Fairly certain that is a touchwiz only feature for the time being.

MC Hammer

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Phil I noticed in your unboxing video there was a factory fitted screen protector both front and back (which you removed) Would you say it was good enough to use long term, or at least until the official ones are released? cheers

ctfrommn

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Does the Google Music player allow for gapless streaming of music you've uploaded to the cloud? I should test this on my Nexus 7 but i'm not at home right now, I tried through my iPhone using the browser and there was a gap between songs.

Sorry this is more of a general question but didn't want to start a new thread just for this and couldn't find a similar question someplace else.

It does currently as it caches data based on the queue you are playing. I have not experience any lapse between songs as long as you have a connection.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
It does currently as it caches data based on the queue you are playing. I have not experience any lapse between songs as long as you have a connection.

Thanks I suspected as much. Must be an iPhone specific issue while streaming google play through safari. There's no native iPhone play music app for me to test.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2