I have a Nexus 4, you have questions. Fire away.

mayastig

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
phil - the back shot shows the rubber trim extending just a hair bit above the back glass (gorilla glass 2?). when you lay the phone flat on its back on a table, is it the rubber trim touching the table or is the entire back glass? I ask because i plan on rocking this phone naked.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil, can you please answer this one? This is the 4th time it has been asked in this thread, and for some reason it keeps getting overlooked. If you don't know the answer that's fine too, but a response of any sort would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No idea. Is in AOSP?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
phil - the back shot shows the rubber trim extending just a hair bit above the back glass (gorilla glass 2?). when you lay the phone flat on its back on a table, is it the rubber trim touching the table or is the entire back glass? I ask because i plan on rocking this phone naked.

I don't think the rubber is touching the table at all.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
3-5 hours screen on isn't that much better than the Galaxy Nexus, which has terrible battery life....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Which is part of the reason I think people focus a little too much on screen-on time. It's not the only thing to take into consideration.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
He is using it on AT&T's network. I don't know if he is using AT&T itself or a prepaid service however.

Motorola Photon 4G

As I wrote in the review ...

We've used the Nexus 4 on AT&T proper and on a Straight Talk T-Mobile account, and both performed as well as they do on our other devices. (The Nexus 4 has all the radio frequencies to use AT&T or T-Mobile's services, or any other GSM network outside the U.S.) Neither gives some magical speed boost; the Nexus 4 serves up data exactly how we'd expect. Reception will, of course, vary where you live.

Anthimus

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
No idea. Is in AOSP?

I don't know if it's AOSP, but the way to test if avrcp 1.3+ is built in would be to connect your Nexus 4 to a bluetooth enabled car. Once connected, play a song and see if the meta data displaying on your cars head unit.

This is all assuming your car supports avrcp 1.3+ as well though so it's not a perfect test.

I guess the way to see if your car support is would be to connect a stock Galaxy S3, as I know it supports 1.3+.

It's getting pretty close to preorder day, so if you can't test it for one reason or another I will test it myself and write back with the results.

Thanks Phil! :)

Shark87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey Phil. First time posting in AC and I'm very excited about the N4. Just wanted to know how flash drives and card readers worked with USB hosting on the N4. I know that on the GNex and N7 it wasn't something that worked without having to root the device first.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Which is part of the reason I think people focus a little too much on screen-on time. It's not the only thing to take into consideration.

I have to somewhat disagree. I believe it's a pretty good indicator of battery life.

Firstly, it's usually the biggest battery hog on a phone (assuming you have no signal issues) so all usage habits being equal, I know that my Galaxy Nexus which gets 3hrs screen time will not last as long as my Nexus 7 which gets 5 or 6hrs screen time.

Secondly, I know that I can get about 3hrs max screen time on my Gnex. This is just what I've noticed from monitoring my battery constantly as I do all my devices. With my usage habits, 3hrs screen time on my phone equates to about 15hrs total before my phone dies. Now I know quite often when it gets to that 15hr mark, I might have quite a decent chunk of battery life left (like 30% or so) which might seem like this argument is doomed to fail. But what I know is that if I've got plenty of juice to spare come 15hrs, it just means I had a relatively "light" day where I didn't really look at my phone as much....maybe in the area of 1:40 or 2hrs.

My point is, having a rough idea how much screen time I get lets me estimate how long my battery is going to last. If I check it midday and see I've spent an hour and a half with the screen on, I'm pretty sure my battery will be in the red zone around 8 or 9pm so I better find a charger before I go out that night.

So just to clarify, it's not that I equate screen time directly to a certain number of total hours. Your usage habits are definitely different to mine. It's just an indication. If you said you get a "full day" out of Phone A with 8hrs screen time, then you also said you get a "full day" out of Phone B but with 2hrs screen time. I'm gonna take Phone A for sure.

What would be REALLY handy (at least for me) is to know how much screen time you had with a Galaxy Nexus compared to the Nexus 4, and to also know roughly how much juice you had left after your "day" ;)

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Phil,

Can you confirm if it has Bluetooth 4.0? How about the Low-energy profile?

I don't know how you would test that if you don't have a BT 4.0 device (like the new heart rate monitors etc). There are developers waiting for Google to implement a BT 4.0 api. A few android phones have advertised BT 4.0, but as far as I can tell, Android is still not fully supporting it. Hoping that changes with Android 4.2!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois