I have a Nexus 4, you have questions. Fire away.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
#1: Saw somewhere that the phone could (does) behave like a Blackberry, where a light appears indicating something to unlock the phone is there to check.
Try LightFlow--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...geconsulting.android.lightflow&token=rr4nRmBY

#2 - I'm tight on money and have restrictive data on mobile provider. Do you know of an app that can "schedule" a shutdown of MOBILE data - say, Mon - Fri - 8 - 5?
Try DS Battery Saver--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m.rootuninstaller.batrsaverpro&token=-cTZvMC5

#3 - When I am in secure wi-fi (or unsecure in town) network, will the phone default and not use mobile data?
Yup. Also, if you change your APN Type to only "mms" instead of "default,supl,dun,mms" while you're on 3G your phone won't be able to use any Data whatsoever except MMS which comes in handy for those on a tight budget. So you'll only be able to use Data when on Wi-Fi

#4 - When I receive an MMS text message (with a picture no greater than 1MB) from an iPhone it's displayed as a "slide show"....is there some kind of workaround?
Set it to higher in some 3rd party SMS Apps

#5 - How do I load a picture of myself on my Android messaging app?
Save your own # to your Contacts or set it manually in some 3rd party SMS Apps

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sellmarg

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Lanhoj! I LOVE lightflow! I'm going to consider the DS Battery Saver after reading up on it. I was a little confused on your answer to #4, "Set it to higher in some 3rd party SMS Apps". I went to Android messaging app (which is all I use outside of GV) /settings/multimedia message limit /changed the 'default' from 24 to 75 "messages per conversation". Is that what you mean? Thanks thanks thanks! sellmarg, newbie with a 6 day old Nexus 4

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I was a little confused on your answer to #4, "Set it to higher in some 3rd party SMS Apps".

In some 3rd party SMS Apps such as GO SMS Pro & Handcent SMS (not available in the stock Messaging App or Google Voice) in their respective MMS settings they let you set a higher maximum size, so that might help you.

Glad you like LightFlow, it's definitely an awesome App!
As for DS Battery Saver I'd recommend the paid version as it lets you customize more settings.

sellmarg

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely, I try to support app developers any way I can. I'm dizzy from the settings within it. Still having trouble with messaging. I have no issues with T-Mo restricting size of MMS (1MB), thing is I'm not getting any MMS messages on the native (another way of saying stock?) app. T-Mo walked me through getting an unlocked iPhone to send MMS, so I believe the iPhone is not the source of problem. I shut down wifi and mobile data so as not to confuse the matter and had iPhone and someone else's Android phone send low res MMS. There isn't a rejection notice on their side and I'm getting nothing. I'd love to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your support, Lanhoj

Last edited:

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Help !!! I am OK on computers, but an absolute infant on using my Nexus 4 for the internet when not connected to Wi -Fi at home or hot spots. I use a giff gaff sim. If I want to connect for instance to Sky Go and I'm out of Wi Fi range, do I have to have a Mifi device to link my phone to and I understand these can be locked or unlocked (More confusion.)

My Nexus 4 is unlocked, I just bought it cash a Carphone Warehouse. If I'm travelling I might want to use as well my laptop or tablet. I understand I can create a hotspot with my phone but is that only when in Wi Fi range? Also I can be charged fot data of course through Giff Gaff, what does that mean, downloading info I suppose?

I will be very grateful for anything that can help me understand these issues please.....

Last edited:

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Help !!! I am OK on computers, but an absolute infant on using my Nexus 4 for the internet when not connected to Wi -Fi at home or hot spots. I use a giff gaff sim. If I want to connect for instance to Sky Go and I'm out of Wi Fi range, do I have to have a Mifi device to link my phone to and I understand these can be locked or unlocked (More confusion.)

My Nexus 4 is unlocked, I just bought it cash a Carphone Warehouse. If I'm travelling I might want to use as well my laptop or tablet. I understand I can create a hotspot with my phone but is that only when in Wi Fi range? Also I can be charged fot data of course through Giff Gaff, what does that mean, downloading info I suppose?

I will be very grateful for anything that can help me understand these issues please.....

jensenng

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Need help! I can't switched off my vibration on typing even turning off the vibration on touch. Gaming and browsing doesn't make it vibrate, but typing does. HELP!!!

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Need help! I can't switched off my vibration on typing even turning off the vibration on touch. Gaming and browsing doesn't make it vibrate, but typing does. HELP!!!

Have you gone into your keyboard settings and turned haptic feedback off?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

gadhiwala

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Just started using N4.

Interesting problem - not able to receive SMS. I can send SMS and see in my messaging list. But not able to get any !!!!!

thanks,

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the Nexus 4 and this is my first unlocked phone. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, which when I got needed an LTE SIM. So I bought the N4 slightly used from an AT&T user and just popped in my SIM and everything seems to be working. I'm wondering if there is any reason I should go to AT&T and get a non-LTE SIM?

Interesting problem - not able to receive SMS. I can send SMS and see in my messaging list. But not able to get any !!!!!

I would check your APN settings to make sure they are correct for your carrier.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the Nexus 4 and this is my first unlocked phone. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, which when I got needed an LTE SIM. So I bought the N4 slightly used from an AT&T user and just popped in my SIM and everything seems to be working. I'm wondering if there is any reason I should go to AT&T and get a non-LTE SIM?

I would check your APN settings to make sure they are correct for your carrier.
It doesn't matter. I'm in Canada and can get LTE on my Nexus 4. But it will just default to the HSPA+ if LTE is not in use. If its working you are good to go.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to say that you are a very helpful and resourceful person. It looks like you have been on this forum for a while but I've only recently seen your posts.

Thanks for the kind words.

I go through on average about a half dozen devices per year so I don't stick to only the N4 forums but if you do, that's possibly why you've only seen my posts recently.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words.

I go through on average about a half dozen devices per year so I don't stick to only the N4 forums but if you do, that's possibly why you've only seen my posts recently.

I move around a bit but have mostly been on the N4 section the last while. Nice to meet you. :D