Nexus 4, AT&T and Quick Question about buying off contract

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is somewhat hypothetical and doesn't apply to me, since I have Verizon, but my relative has AT&T and doesn't really want to enter another contract. He also has been running CM9 on an HP Touchpad for awhile and seems to like Android.

I know the Nexus 4 doesn't offer 4G LTE, but isn't it true that the Galaxy Nexus didn't either? Just want to verify that both phones at least have the same technology, because if that is true, either one would probably work and give him the same signal and user experience, though the Nexus 4 may be faster because of the newer hardware.

Just curious if the Nexus goes down in price, it may be a viable alternative.

He had legacy Unlimited Data with a sim that currently fits the Iphone 3gs

I am assuming all he would need to do would be to get a new sim from AT&T, drop it in, and be ready to go..correct?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
This is somewhat hypothetical and doesn't apply to me, since I have Verizon, but my relative has AT&T and doesn't really want to enter another contract. He also has been running CM9 on an HP Touchpad for awhile and seems to like Android.

I know the Nexus 4 doesn't offer 4G LTE, but isn't it true that the Galaxy Nexus didn't either? Just want to verify that both phones at least have the same technology, because if that is true, either one would probably work and give him the same signal and user experience, though the Nexus 4 may be faster because of the newer hardware.

I am assuming all he would need to do would be to get a new sim from AT&T, drop it in, and be ready to go..correct?

You are correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
yup, only verizon and sprint versions are lte. not sure how much lower will the galaxy be, esp you will prob have to get a used one since google stops selling them themselves. maybe amazon might lower their price? 350 for a brand new unlock flagship isn't so bad, but i do understand, for some ppl, it's kinda pointless to get them top of the line phone. i will never ever give my parents a smartphone. haha.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

The GN uses a regular size SIM card so he could just take it out of his 3GS and use that. He is likely provisioned for 3G data from AT&T since thats the phone he's been using.

If he decided to go with this phone, I personally would suggest just that he cuts his own SIM so he can avoid going to AT&T and maybe run the risk of them messing up his account. They sell the SIM cutters on eBay for roughly $2-$6 depending on if you get it from US or China.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I didn't realize Google stopped selling the GN, so it is probably a no brainer to get the Nexus 4, brand new with warranty for $350--since he'd appreciate the extra storage.

I've actually got a sim cutter already, so that wouldn't be an issue. Wish I could get one, but I like VZW coverage, LTE, and unlimited data too much.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys think nexus 4 will have as good of connectivity as LTE phone

Connectivity is mostly based on coverage of the network you are on. So its hard to say, but the absence of LTE won't make its coverage any worse than the same phone with an LTE radio in it.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys think nexus 4 will have as good of connectivity as LTE phone

Well there's no LTE radio in it. As far as 2G and 3G connectivity, you can compare the Nexus 4 to one other device, but you can't exactly compare it to "all LTE phones". Its all about the radio hardware and software in the device that handles the connection. This can only be tested with 2 devices on the same network in the same exact location (next to each other) and looking at dBm ratings of the connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18