Nexus 4- AT&T or T-Mobile

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't that mean the HSPA+ network will be less congested?

Yes, it'll get better over time. But that all will vary by location and how soon people migrate to the lte side. It probably won't be too significant for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't that mean the HSPA+ network will be less congested?

As more people move to LTE, in theory HSPA+ should get faster. But this will only be in the transitional period, until AT&T starts taking backhaul and spectrum away from HSPA+ and moving it all to LTE. By that point, we'll probably have different handset though :p .

harrycarry250

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The more I read on Straight Talk the less I liked it. Ill try out T-mobile but after spending a couple days on HSPA+ its really not too bad.

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
In Chicago people (including me) experience lots of dropped calls with TMobile. Other than that TMobile beats ATT in every aspect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't really see why you are worried about losing unlimited data. T-mobile has unlimited HSPA+ data. T-mobile's contract plans (either classic or value - you will most likely choose the value plans since they are cheaper for the same stuff if you bring your own device) all offer you the choice of unlimited HSPA+ data. Just pick one of those plans.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Concerning Straight Talk, don't forget that they have a soft cap on the data at about 2 GB /mo

Severely dependent on your area and the market saturation of that area. I've used over 2GB the last 2 months and not been cut off or throttled.

The more I read on Straight Talk the less I liked it. Ill try out T-mobile but after spending a couple days on HSPA+ its really not too bad.

Best to try it out for yourself and see. No one can tell you how the service will work where you live...

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Looked there but all it says is if it has coverage or no coverage in the area. I need something a little bit more specific.

Motorola Photon 4G

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there an att coverage map that shows what kind of service it has and where?

Motorola Photon 4G

AT&T's website breaks it down by different shades of colors to show the speeds. It only shows up at a certain zoom level though, so make sure you're zoomed in far enough to see the differences.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Wait I think I was thinking of the ST coverage map. Which gsm is which on there? And which one will the N4 work on?

Motorola Photon 4G

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Wait I think I was thinking of the ST coverage map. Which gsm is which on there? And which one will the N4 work on?

Motorola Photon 4G

Straight Talk operates on either AT&T or T-Mobile, you choose when you buy the SIM. The Nexus 4 will work on either one. If you want in-depth coverage maps, look at AT&T's website and T-Mobile's website. You'll get everything they show there except some of their "roaming" or "carrier partner" spots on the map.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So what happens when I buy the sim and set it up for AT&T? What services do I get?

Motorola Photon 4G

straight talk with att coverage.

One more thing, straight talk doesn't have tmo micro sim, only mini sim. so you will need to get a cutter to modify it to fit the n4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I meant specifics. What kind of plan do I get?

Motorola Photon 4G

Straight Talk has 1 plan, as advertised on their website. Unlimited talk, text and data for $45 per month.

Data is "unlimited" and they'll throttle you down if you use a lot in an area with a lot of other users. The amount of data you end up getting before they throttle you down depends on your market. Most people report somewhere between 2-5GB. YMMV, try it out and see if it works for you.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Concerning Straight Talk, don't forget that they have a soft cap on the data at about 2 GB /mo
That seems to be the consensus, but Jerry Hildenbrand said he uses 4-6GB per month on ST. I really wish he'd elaborate on how he pulls that off and where he's located.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke