Nexus 4 & Straight Talk Questions

baysurfer

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to get a Nexus 4 at launch and use it with Straight Talk's T-Mobile plan. Here are some questions hopefully someone can answer:

1. The Nexus 4 uses a micro-SIM card. I can't see anywhere on Straight Talk's website that they offer micro-SIM cards for T-Mobile (only AT&T). Is my only option to get a regular SIM and cut it down to size?

2. I'll need to provision a new phone number when I get my Nexus 4. Does anyone know whether Straight Talk lets you choose your own area code even if you're not physically activating the phone in that area code?

3. Straight Talk claims that they don't allow roaming. Does this mean that I can't use the phone outside of my area code? For example, if my area code is in LA and I travel to NYC, would I not be able to get service and use my phone there?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to get a Nexus 4 at launch and use it with Straight Talk's T-Mobile plan. Here are some questions hopefully someone can answer:

1. The Nexus 4 uses a micro-SIM card. I can't see anywhere on Straight Talk's website that they offer micro-SIM cards for T-Mobile (only AT&T). Is my only option to get a regular SIM and cut it down to size?

2. I'll need to provision a new phone number when I get my Nexus 4. Does anyone know whether Straight Talk lets you choose your own area code even if you're not physically activating the phone in that area code?

3. Straight Talk claims that they don't allow roaming. Does this mean that I can't use the phone outside of my area code? For example, if my area code is in LA and I travel to NYC, would I not be able to get service and use my phone there?

1 - looks that way

2 - they ask your zip code when activating. I'm not too sure if they ask your area code or not but if you need it changed I'm sure you can call and change it.

3 - it'll still work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

They offer Micro cards. Your choice at time of purchase.

Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 10.53.39 PM.png

You should just get a new number based on the zip you give when you order.

They don't have explicit roaming agreements, meaning you don't get the same roaming coverage you'd get on AT&T proper. You get AT&T's national network, and because ST also runs T-Mobile service, you get 2G/voice from T-Mobile as well. Your phone will work nationwide...

Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 10.55.49 PM.png

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They offer Micro cards. Your choice at time of purchase.

View attachment 44371

You should just get a new number based on the zip you give when you order.

They don't have explicit roaming agreements, meaning you don't get the same roaming coverage you'd get on AT&T proper. You get AT&T's national network, and because ST also runs T-Mobile service, you get 2G/voice from T-Mobile as well. Your phone will work nationwide...

View attachment 44373

Read his first sentence again. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Read his first sentence again. :)

Wait, I'm confused, or you are. Maybe both. ;)

StraightTalk sells T-Mobile and AT&T-compatible SIMs to accommodate the various handsets that people might be bringing to the table. I don't think they have a separate T-Mobile or AT&T plan, they just have GSM (which roams freely between T-Mobile 2G and AT&T 3G/2G as needed, but cannot roam on networks that T-Mo or AT&T have roaming agreements with), and a few people grandfathered into CDMA (which roams on Verizon and several other networks).

For the Nexus 4, I think one would be better off getting the AT&T-compatible SIM, since they have a size that would actually fit the phone. Once you jack it in to your Nexus 4, you're on the Straight Talk network and will either use AT&T or T-Mobile towers depending on which company has the best service where you happen to be at the moment.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Wait, I'm confused, or you are. Maybe both. ;)

StraightTalk sells T-Mobile and AT&T-compatible SIMs to accommodate the various handsets that people might be bringing to the table. I don't think they have a separate T-Mobile or AT&T plan, they just have GSM (which roams freely between T-Mobile 2G and AT&T 3G/2G as needed, but cannot roam on networks that T-Mo or AT&T have roaming agreements with), and a few people grandfathered into CDMA (which roams on Verizon and several other networks).

For the Nexus 4, I think one would be better off getting the AT&T-compatible SIM, since they have a size that would actually fit the phone. Once you jack it in to your Nexus 4, you're on the Straight Talk network and will either use AT&T or T-Mobile towers depending on which company has the best service where you happen to be at the moment.

You either choose AT&T or you choose T-Mo coverage depending on where you live and which side you want to use. They don't have 2 different "plans" per say but the coverage is based on which SIM card you choose to buy. The OP asked about the T-Mobile side of the network so buying the AT&T wouldn't work if he specifically wants to be on T-Mo.

However, I agree AT&T is better for coverage so thats the way I would go, but T-Mo does generally have faster data speeds and there has been less problems with random disconnects because T-Mo apparently charges ST less or they have a bolder contract in regards to data usage.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to take T-Mobile's service with Straight Talk, depending on your data/minute usage, you might be better off just going with T-Mobile directly.

If you talk on the phone a lot and aren't willing to use VoIP, or if you talk on the phone quite a bit but not too much and don't care too much for data, Straight Talk is the better choice.

If you only need a small amount of minutes (100) or don't mind using VoIP a lot, T-Mobile is $15 cheaper than Straight Talk. If you want unlimited data with no throttling, 500 minutes is enough, and don't mind paying $10 more (+$5 if you also want unlimited texting) than Straight Talk, T-Mobile is the better choice.

If I needed AT&T's service, I'd definitely go with Straight Talk over AT&T directly. Just something to consider.

baysurfer

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, I'm looking to get ST T-Mobile service only, not AT&T. T-Mobile offers 42 Mbps HSPA+, and AT&T doesn't so that's why I'm leaning more towards them.

ST only offers regular SIM cards for T-Mobile service, so I'll need to figure out a way to modify it to work with the Nexus 4. I'm hesitant to cut the card myself because I don't want to mess it up...maybe I'll just bring it into a T-Mobile store and see if they can do it for me.

I thought about going with T-Mobile directly, but their comparable plan only offers 100 min/month, which isn't enough for me. I need a solid voice line, so unfortunately VoIP won't do.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, I'm looking to get ST T-Mobile service only, not AT&T. T-Mobile offers 42 Mbps HSPA+, and AT&T doesn't so that's why I'm leaning more towards them.

ST only offers regular SIM cards for T-Mobile service, so I'll need to figure out a way to modify it to work with the Nexus 4. I'm hesitant to cut the card myself because I don't want to mess it up...maybe I'll just bring it into a T-Mobile store and see if they can do it for me.

I thought about going with T-Mobile directly, but their comparable plan only offers 100 min/month, which isn't enough for me. I need a solid voice line, so unfortunately VoIP won't do.

Idk, I wouldn't bring to a T-Mo store simply because these are not T-Mo sims so they might refuse or they could mess it up as well.

I would recommend buying a Micro SIM cutter on eBay or Amazon. They are easy to use, if you remember using a hole puncher from when you were little, or maybe now idk your life. :D

It's basically the same process, you put the SIM in a slot and you clamp down.I had no problems cutting mine. Just be sure to get the Micro SIM and not a Nano SIM cutter.

baysurfer

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Idk, I wouldn't bring to a T-Mo store simply because these are not T-Mo sims so they might refuse or they could mess it up as well.

I would recommend buying a Micro SIM cutter on eBay or Amazon. They are easy to use, if you remember using a hole puncher from when you were little, or maybe now idk your life. :D

It's basically the same process, you put the SIM in a slot and you clamp down.I had no problems cutting mine. Just be sure to get the Micro SIM and not a Nano SIM cutter.

OK cool, I might look into getting one.

bencrackber

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk Micro SIM for T-Mobile cut down to fit N4 - will it work?

I have a prepaid card from Straight Talk that's T-Mobile compatible. Trouble is, it's a Micro and not a Nano size. Can I just cut it down and it will work on the Nexus 4?

Thanks!

bencrackber

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Straight Talk Micro SIM for T-Mobile cut down to fit N4 - will it work?

Sorry - I meant that the one I have is a standard size and not a micro. Can I cut it and it will work?

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Straight Talk Micro SIM for T-Mobile cut down to fit N4 - will it work?

Sorry - I meant that the one I have is a standard size and not a micro. Can I cut it and it will work?

Yep thats what I'm using in my Nexus 4 now. Using the sim cutter is pretty easy tho not quite as easy as if they offered it in micro size to begin with like the AT&T straighttalk sim heh.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but he specifically asked about straight talk sim cards, not TMobile cards. He wants a TMobile sim card through straight talk. Two different cards.

bencrackber

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Public Service Announcement

What I started with:
Straight Talk Standard SIM card for T-Mobile network, unactivated
Straight Talk 45min refill card.
Nexus 4

First off, the card needs to be cut. I went to T-Mobile store, and they cut it for free. I appreciate good service, especially when it's free - kudos to T-Mobile. Put the card in, and it was recognized but unusable because I still need to load it up with minutes.

Went home and followed the directions on the ST card. Can't say it's crystal clear to someone with NO experience. On the registration site, you have to search for the button for initializing the card. Followed the directions, logged in, created an account, etc. and initialized. Great! Except at the end, it says:

"Create a new APN with the following values depending on whether it's a Smart Phone or not."

WTH is APN? Must be in the Nexus 4 Settings, right? Yes, it is, but I couldn't find it. I know - consult the user guide! The Nexus user guide is about 5 pages long and has nothing whatsoever about APN. Consult online help! Searched Google help for APN and Access Point Name and found nothing. Okay then - call Google support!

[Meanwhile, the phone was able to connect to the T-Mobile network and I was able to make calls. For a while I thought I didn't have to enter the APN, until I tried to get any kind of data from the phone. Then it said that it didn't have a data connection.]

Google support is still unfamiliar with the phone, said they can't help me and to call ST. I asked if he knew what APN is - yes, and told me how to get to it:

Settings > [under Wireless & Networks] More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names >

then touch the vertical 4 dots at the bottom.

Of course! how stupid of me not to see that. Anyhow, there are fields for:

APN Name: Straight Talk
APN: wap.tracfone
Port: 8080
MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com

The MMSC is below the bottom of the screen, and you'll need to scroll to it. Once you enter these required fields, the phone will be connected to T-Mobile and you'll have data.

Hope this helps someone. I spent a couple of hours figuring this out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34