No shipping to my country**PISSED**

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is a "I am pissed thread"
Pissed because Google has decided that the USA, UK, Australia and a bunch of other countries is "the world" and will not ship to other countries that are not on that map. Additionally, content like movies, books, magazines and music on the play store is out of bounds for the "off the map countries"
Yes, arguments are made that the cost of shipping, security e.t.c e.t.c BUT why can they not use Google offices to ship devices?
Most countries have Google offices, mine included, and they could as easily ship there.
I actually called my local Google office to ask them how I could get my hands on that sweet hunk of glass but they apparently don't deal with devices. Should this not be a resource that Google employs to push their devices to 3rd world countries and emerging markets?
On a side note, the chic that handled my call did not know what a nexus is, or that a new one had been released.
All in all, if you are one of the higher ups in Google and you are reading this, I pray that one day you will ship worldwide, I pray that I shall be able to purchase the next Iron Man movie, or perhaps one of Stephen King's wondrous books . Maybe even have the next nexus shipped to my house.
That would be really opening up the playground
Sent from an irate user in Kenya

AbbaiG

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
As an Indian, I am pissed too.

Yeah, Google is promising offline availability at the end of November. But my guess is, it will cost US $600. That is there will be no Google subsidy for us.

May be the hordes in Asia are only to meant to be "the ad clicking army" which discounts phones in the west.

ofteno

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree, we all use a visa or mastercard, why can't they allow all the services for more countries?

Sent from Holy Terra using CM10 for Atrix

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
29465491.jpg

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I think you may be over-simplifying this. I am willing to bet that shipping logistics is a minor thing when getting a new technology product to market in some countries. There are local laws and taxation issues, U.S. regulations, and a whole host of other hoops to jump through for some spots in the world.

You will most likely need to find a friend in a more market friendly country to buy one for you.

First off Kenya has zero, yes, 0 tax on mobile phones and mobile phone accessories. That means Google would have to pay zero, that's right zero tax, be it customs duty or value added tax tobring the phone. Only standard shipping charges would apply!!!!!!!
So while buying it in the states will result in me paying tax to a country I have never been to, nor ever tried to attain citizenship to plus the additional shipping charges that will be applied brings the phone to a neighbourhood of $450. this is a mark up of 30%
Not to mention that I have no warranty and I cannot take the phone back in case of manufacturer faults

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well can I see this? If the phone doesn't ship to my country, my whole plans will be ruined.

To a point ruined. Like most people who read AC, we want the fastest and best tech in the market today. At the rate at which tech is evolving, if you buy it next month, something better is already around the corner.
Oh, and I would really love me a nexus 4. And 6 of my buddies are in the same boat as me

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree, we all use a visa or mastercard, why can't they allow all the services for more countries?

Sent from Holy Terra using CM10 for Atrix

Exactly!!! Maybe our money is not real money. Maybe Google likes dollars more than it does Rupees, shillings, rands....

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You will most likely need to find a friend in a more market friendly country to buy one for you.
This will result in me paying tax to another government that is not at all responsible for my well being. Why should I pay tax to build another country while mine is still in shambles?
P.S Kenya does not levy any tax on mobile phones or mobile phone accessories. This was done to spur technological growth

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing it's your country's regulatory restrictions to blame, not Google.

Bingo.

Google wishes it could sell the phone to every single person in the world via 2nd day air delivery. Unfortunately, some countries don't agree, and have issues with Google shipping things from out of the country in to customers. This really isn't Google's fault.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You can't just sell a phone in a country, it needs to be submitted to the local telecom regulatory body (the FCC in the US, for example) for review and approval. Permits need to be issued, business units and tax collection channels set up, etc. Google deals with a few of the larger countries themselves, and leaves local agencies to handle the rest of the world, sorry.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
^ yup. Tell you what, when it drops buy it and have it shipped to my house and PayPal me shipping money and when it comes in I'll ship it to you.

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You can't just sell a phone in a country, it needs to be submitted to the local telecom regulatory body (the FCC in the US, for example) for review and approval. Permits need to be issued, business units and tax collection channels set up, etc. Google deals with a few of the larger countries themselves, and leaves local agencies to handle the rest of the world, sorry.
Our regulator has no qualms about that. I am a network engineer, and I think I have a preety good idea about the state of the industry in my country.
Furthermore, how is samsung able to launch their device in Kenya at the same time they launched it interntionally? Coz the s3 was actually available in the Kenyan market even before it got to USA.
And for your information, we do not have a body that is mandated with inspecting a phone internals, spectrum e.t.c. The closest we have is Communications commission of Kenya which is tasked largely with overseeing the local telcos

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad