The important thing I feel reviews are forgetting: Updates

Vacuus Dilectio#CB

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I think when we see reports come out that show 4.2 at only on 2.7% of devices, and then reviews come out that talk about lack of LTE ad-nauseum, they forget the value of speedy updates. While the Nexus 4 probably won't sell as much as the S3, I think at this price point you can't ignore the value of updates straight for Google. While yes, it has been like this on every other Nexus model (sans the Verizon Gnex) at this price point off contract is INCREDIBLE to me. To me the Nexus line has never been about hardware bleeding edge, it's about Android's bleeding edge. And that's generally something the general user doesn't experience. I think while they would have imagined they would have loved to have an LTE version, I don't think you can pretend it wouldn't have raised cost, and cut off their ability to update it. IMHO (and as a Gnex owner) I think that hurts the Nexus MORE than LTE. Or remind me again how well the LTE Galaxy Nexus sold?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think its because everyone knows about it. its obvious that many buy it for the fast update.
it has been said over and over again in forums and reviews.
so i think its ok to omit that. still could have a note about it.

bdavis89

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Can't get those quick updates very quickly without LTE...:p

Updates is a major reason I'm getting the Nexus 4. As someone coming from a Droid X on CDMA 3g, I'm rather excited about HSPA+42.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think its because everyone knows about it. its obvious that many buy it for the fast update.
WRONG!!! Everyone doesn't necessarily know about it and many of these sites are positioned to be general tech sites. CNET covers HDTVs and computers and cell phones and cameras, so the fact that Nexus means "instant updates without waiting for makers and carriers bogging things down" is probably NOT general knowledge.

Remember that being in a forum like this can lead you to believe everyone knows as much as you do. I once discovered a friend had never updated her Facebook app on her OG EVO (same as I had at the time) because she never thought about it. She only got the OTA updates because they were forced upon her. Do you think someone like that knows that Nexus = updates?

The analogy I use is how I reacted to an article about Paul Westerberg that mentioned his tenure in The Replacements. It made me realize that, no, not everyone knows that he was in The Replacements. It's like a 16-year-old fan of Justin Timberlake movies like Friends with Benefits and The Social Network who doesn't know he was in a boy band and the New Mickey Mouse Club 15 years ago. Never assume what people know. The reviews should tout fast updates as a feature in addition to the ferocious bashing over the lack of LTE.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yesyesyes. Its why I'm getting one - - I'm sick of HTC not fixing my phone with software updates. The N7 has me sold on Nexus.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I had a Sprint Galaxy Nexus for the reason of the updates. Now it may not have been quick, but it was still the first device on Sprint to get JB. But I'll be leaving and going to T-Mobile for the Nexus 4....cant wait!

connorse

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the device is pentaband so it can work on both AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+.

Though some would argue that HSPA+ is 4G only in marketing terms, but that's another story for another day.

In relation to OP, I totally agree. I've only owned Nexus devices and i intend to keep it that way, solely for that reason.

Ed 115

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
exactly why I'm getting the nexus, no need to flash an aosp rom for the latest updates. So sick of carrier tyranny. Most sites are posting benchmarks below the Optimus g, is that due to 4.2?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The average consumer won't even get close to the Nexus 4 because the they are still on the contract system and conditioned to not spend more than $200 on a new phone when it's time to upgrade. I can't blame them since most carriers don't give a break to not be under contract.

EnderTheThird

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I got burned by the VZW GNex too. Even rooting with CM could only do so much, and I swear CM10 runs slower than stock (quite the opposite on my Evo 4G before that). I'm breaking my contract early, but even with the ETF, I should break even by the end of 2013 (when my contract would have been up) by saving $40+/mo with Straight Talk and selling my GNex on eBay.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because reviewers aren't supposed to review what the phone might be down the road. They have to review the phone as it is, and is it came to them. They can mention that it'll get updated, but anybody will tell you to buy a phone based on if it will do what you need the day you buy it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
...and the average consumer doesnt care. We do, they dont.

I tell everyone in the family that i can get them on this version or that version. I extol the virtues of the new version. The answer I get is "mine works the way I want it to, leave it alone".

I would say 90% on AC want updates, but it is more like 20% of your average consumer

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I think another thing that the nexus is not getting enough credit for is the price. An unlocked no contract phone going for at the most $349? Nothing compares. LTE is gonna be a no start for some but there would be no.way of getting to this price point if without major compromises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835